Dodge

Trifletraxor

Poor sporting technique.....but a perfectly valid combat technique. if he'd of been a knifeman who'd be talking to us today ?

Depends. Was I still using a point only sword? Am I not able to kick him when he closes up for some reason? How'd he get around my line in the first place?

The point was, what he was doing was only possible because the only interaction I'm permitted in the foil is with our blade tips. In a real fight I've got any number of other options if he gets in under my line (hint: most sword guards are perfectly functional as brass knuckles).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off hand weapons are useful, but not necessary; as I said, its not a coincidence most fighting sabers had a reasonably heavy guard. Smashing someone in the face as the close in to do knife work won't make their day either (and if they stay far enough back to avoid that, they're really not inside your working area).

Frankly, from my experience when fighting in the round, even with a point only sword, if you're not confined heavily by the environment, closing up enough to be within reach of a point sword without getting skewered isn't that trivial an exercise anway.

Far as I can tell, the real downside of that scenario would be impaling someone in something they could survive (or getting it tangled in clothing or the like) and having them continue right up on you. At that point unless you've got a backup weapon of some sort, you'd be truly and righteously screwed.

Frankly, from my experience when fighting in the round, even with a point only sword, if you're not confined heavily by the environment, closing up enough to be within reach of a point sword without getting skewered isn't that trivial an exercise anway.

Indeed, and it would be unwise to ignore that one can also be hit by a blade from behind if one

attempts to close in on an opponent without controlling his weapon. I remember a very painful

hit to the back of my head when I once made that mistake - something as heavy as a sword

would have put me out. =O

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)