DRAGON LINES - Guardians of the Forbidden City

Trifletraxor

Only had a chance to skim so far (just bought the PDF) but I am impressed with how you did powers. Reference the big gold book as needed interspersed with your new stuff. Brilliant!

Also, on one book shelf (OBS), your product is classified as Runequest for system. Wouldn't you want it to come up in BRP and Basic Roleplaying searches? I would see if you can't add more categories or have the books primary category changed. With the monographs available on OBS now, being in the BRP category should be an advantage IMHO.

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

Thanks Charles for your answer.

Actually, as i want to use the air dragon style where punch and kick are within it, i can keep brawl in a way.

But still i can put points in Head Butt, cause if i'm grappeled, a heah hit can be usefull..........;t)

I'm going to play my "new" monk next week and i guess it's gonna be really fun.

By the way, congrats for creating "Nimble Jumping Dodge" and "Skyward Leap".... I was dreaming doing such things during games!

Merci encore,

Charles

Second question:

If we take a style in Dragon Line, this style merge with all aspects of the monk definition within the classic fantasy?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Charles

That is something I wouldn't even be able to comment on. While a Dragon Lines style doesn't give you anything you can't get under normal circumstances, there is no telling how it would interact with the Monk profession in Classic Fantasy.

It might not be an actual issue during play, but things could get out of hand quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Question about the "Throw Target" skill.

If the target of this has a higher Acrobatis skill, can it be used instead of the Agility characteristic? I'm wondering because I'm a little confused as to how acrobatics is actually supposed to be used in the game…

"What about the future...? We only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Jegergrytes Creative Cubicle

Question about the "Throw Target" skill.

If the target of this has a higher Acrobatis skill, can it be used instead of the Agility characteristic? I'm wondering because I'm a little confused as to how acrobatics is actually supposed to be used in the game…

Hmmm... Not sure I understand your question. "Throw target" is supposed to be used in a combat context. Acrobatics has a wider field of application -- which I would allow a PC to use in lieu of an Agility roll.

Sorry for clumsy wording.

When someone is thrown by use of the throw target skill, they can roll agility to not end up prone… if they have a higher acrobatics skill than agility characteristic, could they roll that instead?

Additionally, would you let acrobatics replace agility in instances where agility is usually rolled, if context would reasonably allow?

What exactly is acorbatics used for, that is not covered by already existing skills and characteristics?

"What about the future...? We only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

What exactly is acrobatics used for, that is not covered by already existing skills and characteristics?

Well I did not write Dragon Lines, but judging by the wording:

"Commonly held by circus performers and strange martial artists..."

I would say that Acrobatics has been added for flavour :)

• 4 weeks later...

I like the Martial Arts styles, its good to have access to various techniques, skills, wuxia powers etc. One query regarding Martial Arts - does the Techniques replace the pre-existing Martial Arts mechanics, or compliment them? Does the martial artist still get to roll damage twice in addition to choosing a Technique, or does the Technique chosen replace the Martial Arts damage rule as listed in the BGB?

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 5 weeks later...

Question:

The Jeweled Courtesan Style… the third technique witty repartee -> nimble defence [fast talk or etiquette] … can I use fast talk or etiquette as defensive skills now? I wonder what the intention behind this technique is, because frankly I have issues understanding what its good for… or is there some stuff in DL or BRP I have overlooked when it comes to social skills?

I agree that it could be phrased in a clearer fashion.

A Nimble Defence is one that you can use more than once in a combat round, at full skill level, no matter how many times you've already used it.

In this instance, the power is meant to allow you to always have a comeback when attacked socially by characters, using either the Fast Talk or Etiquette skill.

I saw it as being useful if the Jeweled Courtesan is trying to do something like convince a magistrate to let you go, and both the Chief Prefect and a local Nobleman are trying to arrange a hasty imprisonment. In this instance, you'd be able to defend yourself socially against both of them, being able to come up with a witty response to whatever damning evidence they have against you.

Mainly, though, it's a color-and-flavor ability to reflect a character who is so adept at social situations that anyone trying to get the better of them can't even get an advantage by dog-piling them in a debate.

It's in no way intended to be used as a combat ability, but I can see how you might read it that way.

• 3 months later...

Hey all, there are three of us on the RPGnet forums that are interested in playing a martial arts game using Basic Roleplaying, possibly with the Celestial Empire and / or Dragon Lines supplements. Some pretty interesting discussion at this thread (including wuxia in spa-a-ace!):

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?608305-Interest-BRP-based-Oriental-Martial-Arts-Game

If you might be interested in playing, and especially if you'd consider GMing, please check it out! Thanks!

• 2 years later...