DRAGON LINES - Guardians of the Forbidden City

Trifletraxor

Question: You have a large number of foes with bows shooting at you at once. You are leading a non-combatant you want to protect at all costs. What style would enable you to effectively protect both of you, at least for a while, from the onslaught?

So, the thing about BRP is that it doesn't really have (as far as I know) a mechanism to protect someone else in combat from attacks directed at them. Like, defensive actions are triggered by attacks coming directly at the character in question. None of the styles support this, but there are some options that will get you close:

1. The die-rolling options for Lesser Foes (p. 61) would help mitigate the number of attacks coming at you, but this is a GM option which a player wouldn't really have any control over.

2. Air Dragon Style has a number of techniques and powers that would help keep attention away from the non-combat NPC, but not much to actively protect an NPC.

3. Ethereal Winds Style is similar, but if you can convince the GM to let you roll Parry attempts for the target, you could conceiveably spend Chi to make multiple full-percentile Parry attempts.

4. Steel-Ribboned Whirlwind Style has Techniques that involve aiding an ally in combat, which may be useful in keeping a non-combatant alive.

5. The Style Design rules could be used to make a custom Martial Art that could handle this sort of thing, usually in Techniques or through creative interpretation of powers. It sounds like a good basis for a Support Style, especially something with a strong "bodyguard" theme.

• 7 years later...

Forgive the necromancy. I'm working on a campaign setting and I finally bought a copy of Dragon Lines. Over the course of this thread there was mention of some free downloads: a clean PDF character sheet, a map of the country and a map of the Forbidden City. At this late date I haven't been able to locate any of those three files online. If any kind soul could help me out I'd be grateful. Thanks very much.

• 3 weeks later...