Enchant lead

Tupper

39 minutes ago, Tupper said:

What's the effect of enchanting lead?  It seems you can make armour out of unenchanted lead.  Do you need to enchant it to make weapons?

You can definitely make bludgeoning weapons out of either form, with enchanted getting a damage bonus.  I'm not sure even enchanted is hard enough to make serviceable for slashing or impaling ones.  I don't recall it even being said to make a difference for purposes of armour, but there might be more on any or all of this in the upcoming Gamemaster’s Guide.

• Like 1

Spoiler

in red book of magic, the text describe that lead has 1.5 enc bronze equivalent , +2 dammage for crushing weapons and no penalty on stealth-based skills. and nothing else

A very good question then, what provide enchanted lead that lead doesn't ? except social / religious impact ?

How ashamed I feel ... I read only p47, not 46 ... thanks @Scotty to have not catched my error 😛

Edited by French Desperate WindChild
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tupper said:

What's the effect of enchanting lead? 

It's covered in the Red Book of Magic, pages 46 & 47, Enchant (metal)

briefly, has the same ENC and hardness as bronze, does +2 damage with crushing weapons only

It seems you can make armour out of unenchanted lead.

Yes. See Weapons and Equipment, the Armor chapter starting page 77.

Do you need to enchant it to make weapons?

No, it's just heavier.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

11 minutes ago, Tupper said:

Thanks for the answers everyone!  I guess the key issue (for lead) is having the same ENC as bronze, rather than 1.5 times it.

Edit: Yes, basically this. Pays off less well than several other enchantment kinds, as trolls tend to be strong enough anyway.

Uncertain from the text whether you get +2 damage from unenchanted lead? It seems like it would be overpowered, perhaps especially for slings.

Edited by Akhôrahil

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

Uncertain from the text whether you get +2 damage from unenchanted lead? It seems like it would be overpowered, perhaps especially for slings.

In RQG W&E the example does imply you only get the +2 damage from enchanted lead. But it should have been one sentence earlier. And the second example makes it unclear again.

"Lead (na-metal) is soft and pliable. It has half-again the ENC of bronze. Even in its unenchanted form, this soft, dull metal neither clanks or reflects, so lead armor never
detracts from the user’s Stealth skills. Lead formed into crushing weapons (only) does +2 damage. Thus, a heavy mace made of enchanted lead does 1D10+4 damage. A war maul does 2D8+2."

On 1/18/2022 at 5:11 PM, Dragon said:

In RQG W&E the example does imply you only get the +2 damage from enchanted lead. But it should have been one sentence earlier. And the second example makes it unclear again.

"Lead (na-metal) is soft and pliable. It has half-again the ENC of bronze. Even in its unenchanted form, this soft, dull metal neither clanks or reflects, so lead armor never
detracts from the user’s Stealth skills. Lead formed into crushing weapons (only) does +2 damage. Thus, a heavy mace made of enchanted lead does 1D10+4 damage. A war maul does 2D8+2."

This would appear to merit mention over on the W&E "Corrections" thread...

C'es ne pas un .sig