Passions v Traits in RQG

Karlak One-eye

42 minutes ago, Karlak One-eye said:

Hello folks,  Our group are gradually integrating some RQG stuff into out long running RQ2/3 campaign and I’m currently looking at Passions/Traits. Are these the same thing? I can’t see a section on traits but the term is used in various sections along with “personality traits” am I missing something?

I think so, I can't say I recognize the term "traits" or "personality traits" as an RQG mechanism. The game terms are Runes and Passions, but you could describe hate, love, fear, and loyalty as "personality traits".

I don't think "Trait" is actually a game-mechanical term at all.
I think it's only used in its conventional English-language context.

In my PDF:
"trait" occurs 4 times; but never captialized (unlike "Runes" and "Passions").
 "Passions" and "Runes" have dozens of Index entries each; "Trait" does not occur in the index.

Edited by g33k
actually only need that word once

C'es ne pas un .sig

I reckon it's simpler than all that.  If you're already familiar with KAP, then you're on the right track.

Traits (with a capital T) originated as a focused mechanic with King Arthur Pendragon*.  They were adapted to the scheme of Runes for RQG and operate very similarly.

Passions in RQG are functionally identical with those in KAP.

So, yes, Passions v Runes in RQG.

!i!

(*And go back even farther to Thieves' World and Wyrm's Footnotes No.14 as an NPC tracking device.)

Edited by Ian Absentia
Grognardary
  • Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I don't think "Trait" is actually a game-mechanical term at all.
I think it's only used in its conventional English-language context.

Concur.  It's once used (as "personality traits") in a context describing specifically Passions, and twice clearly meaning "Rune or Passion".  But this is just natural language, not a Term of Art.  If you really wanted a quasi-mechanical catchall then "Trait" would be perfectly serviceable, though that might be ever-so-slightly confusing for King Arthur Pendragon diehards.  KAP Traits work very much like RQG Power Runes more specifically -- i.e. the "opposed pairs" thing.

6 hours ago, Karlak One-eye said:

Hello folks,  Our group are gradually integrating some RQG stuff into out long running RQ2/3 campaign and I’m currently looking at Passions/Traits.

I commend adding both Passions and Runes to the house!  Great addition to the game altogether.