Jump to content

Is this old BRP Artwork?


Yorgan

Recommended Posts

I'm personally not sure if it's AD&D, RQ, Pendragon, or Tekumel.

It has style elements of all four and each property has similar illustrations [a defended tower under siege] from the '75-'85 era.

My wife used to be layout and typesetting professional for a major game company and I had her look at it. She doesn't recognize either the art itself nor the artists and says that the proportions are 'weird' for US standard game book dimensions. It's too large to be quarter- or half-page, and too narrow for a full page. In her opinion, it's possibly a rough draft or promotional piece of artwork.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Where are you getting these from? It's not clear if you are the artist...

I don't fell like he claims to be one of the "Day Brothers" he mentions in the OP.

But, yes, it would be interesting to know what is his relationship with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations on picking up some nice pieces of art!

Also:  welcome to the forums!  If you're into any of the BRP gaming family, this is a great site!

 

As for the art:  you might want to ask over on the Acaeum; they are pretty clued-in to all older things from TSR.  If they don't know these pieces, then you might need to cast a wider net.  Are any of them dated?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 5:28 PM, svensson said:

I'm personally not sure if it's AD&D, RQ, Pendragon, or Tekumel.

It has style elements of all four and each property has similar illustrations [a defended tower under siege] from the '75-'85 era.

My wife used to be layout and typesetting professional for a major game company and I had her look at it. She doesn't recognize either the art itself nor the artists and says that the proportions are 'weird' for US standard game book dimensions. It's too large to be quarter- or half-page, and too narrow for a full page. In her opinion, it's possibly a rough draft or promotional piece of artwork.

 

Doesn't look like Tekumel to me - the shields and swords are fairly plain, as is the armour.

  • Like 2

Always start what you finish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 1:08 PM, Agentorange said:

The King of the Hill artwork is very similiar to one of the covers used on the karl Edward wagner  short story collection Nightwinds:

I was thinking that they might be concept art -- early drafts for work that appeared in different form in final publication.

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep looking at the third one. I could swear I've seen that. I keep thinking FASA, but I don't think that's right. The style looks vaguely british rpg to me.

edit: I could swear the third one is warhammer lizardmen. The axes on the two front guys have some sort of glyph on the head. the front one looks like saurus, and the back one like mage priest.

Lizardmen_Pictoral_Glyphs.png

Edited by Raleel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

The emphasis on oversized pauldrons really does smell of Warhammer, doesn't it?

!i!

Yeah,like something that appeared in White Dwarf back when Games Workshop minis took off.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:12 PM, Raleel said:

I keep looking at the third one. I could swear I've seen that. I keep thinking FASA, but I don't think that's right. The style looks vaguely british rpg to me.

edit: I could swear the third one is warhammer lizardmen. The axes on the two front guys have some sort of glyph on the head. the front one looks like saurus, and the back one like mage priest.

It's possible the art got sold multiple times. While I get a British RPG/White Dwarf vibe from it, it also looks like something that might have appeared in STARDATE Magazine, which was put out by FASA.

I'll take a peek at some of my old magazine to see if any of this pops up. All three illustrations look vaguely familiar, but looking for art in 40 year old issues of Dragon, White Dwarf, Different Worlds, Heroes Magazine, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Fantasy Gamer, Dungeoneer, Wyrm's Footnotes, any of the other gaming mags I have from that time is definitely a needle in a haystack sort of thing, and I probably don't even have the right haystack.

 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know the WH communities, but -- given how many are detecting more than a whiff of it -- I gotta ask:  are there any sites that really emphasize old/historic lore and this sort of question?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, g33k said:

I don't know the WH communities, but -- given how many are detecting more than a whiff of it -- I gotta ask:  are there any sites that really emphasize old/historic lore and this sort of question?

No, just sites that focus on older RPGs like here. We're probably about as close as it gets to an RPG historic society.Remember, most of this stuff came out years ago in magazines that mostly had small print runs and were sold to a small group of fans, sometimes just a subset of fans, depending on what the magazine covered. No one back in the 70s and 80s were thinking of posterity or anything like that. They were just making, playing, and trying to sell games and game related content. Now add to that the fact that many gamers move on from gaming over time, and that many RPgs come out with newer editions, which tends to de-emphasize content from previous editions. For the most part the only people who care about RPGs from the 80s are people who played (or at least knew about) those games back then. It's kinda a shame because while much of it isn't relevant anymore, some of it is still very good, and all of it has historic and nostalgic value, even if it is just the history of a niche hobby. 

 

One of the things I have to give the current Chaosium crew credit for is that they do seem to value the older content. They seem to realize that this was something that happened once upon a time,  and cannot happen again- at least not quite in the same way. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

No, just sites that focus on older RPGs like here. We're probably about as close as it gets to an RPG historic society.Remember, most of this stuff came out years ago in magazines that mostly had small print runs and were sold to a small group of fans, sometimes just a subset of fans, depending on what the magazine covered. No one back in the 70s and 80s were thinking of posterity or anything like that. They were just making, playing, and trying to sell games and game related content. Now add to that the fact that many gamers move on from gaming over time, and that many RPgs come out with newer editions, which tends to de-emphasize content from previous editions.

...

Well, but there *ARE* sites that do specialize in "old D&D / old TSR" (such as "the Acaeum"). 
And this site... "Mr. Suitcase" is probably a unique resource within the RQ & Glorantha communities.

Is there nothing comparable to these in the Warhammer communities?
 

Edited by g33k
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't speak to what is available for Warhammer, or many other games for that matter, but there are a few websites like the Acaeum and Dragonsfoot, and Stuff of legends (for miniatures) that are great for information. It all depends on what you want to know. As "Mr. Suitcase", I like to think I am unique, but there are a number of other collectors/historians on this forum that know a great deal about Chaosium's products, particularly RQ/Gloranthan ones.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As mentioned above, the final illustration looks like Warhammer. Specifically Lustria for Warhammer Fantasy Battles. If one looks at the frontispiece for the WFB Lustria supplement (2004) it shows distinct similarities - albeit drawn by another artist in a very different style - to the right half of the illustration under discussion. That would make the humans Imperial conquistadors marching up from their anchored ships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...