Basic Roleplaying released for Fantasy Grounds II

Foen

The ruleset licence does not allow you to share it. The first time you connect, the ruleset downloads (which may take a few minutes) but thereafter the connection speed is very good. If you want GMs to share, each needs to have a legal copy of the ruleset.

That's what I wanted to know. I'm still going to purchase it, but this has placed it low on my priority list.

It's my opinion that the way my group has used these sets in the past (and continues to do so) falls under Fair Use, since we are not redistributing the software outside our circle of players. I understand the motive behind the switch, a company needs to make money, and there's only so many people in the market for this product in the first place.

However, Smiteworks can take the proverbial Long Walk as far as I'm concerned if they expect a group to pay 200USD collectively to use a ruleset. We play shared games, and GM duties always rotate, so this model is pretty much ensuring that after BRP, I won't be paying for any more software from them (Dear God I sound like an angry pensioner). However, bending the rules a little isn't impossible...it's not like it's too difficult to just uninstall copies when GMs switch, anyway, just a nuisance.

I'm not meaning to come off as a dick, either. I REALLY appreciate what you have done here, Foen. One of the first things out of my mouth when I bought FG in early 2007 was (thinking that the BRP main book was coming out in May '07, coincidentally almost exactly a year before it finally did) "a BRP set for this game would be awesome".

121/420

Tedopon, do ALL of your group share GM duties or just a couple and how often do you switch?

It is fairly generous to allow all players to work off of 1 copy (though they probably wouldn't sell many rulesets if ALL players needed the set). Uninstalling tha ruleset on one machine before using it another, though a pain, does not seem unreasonable.

Another option, though it requires a spare machine or a virtual machine and a good connection, is to set up a dedicated GM machine with the ruleset and have the GM of the day control that machine remotely.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Another option, though it requires a spare machine or a virtual machine and a good connection, is to set up a dedicated GM machine with the ruleset and have the GM of the day control that machine remotely.

I doubt the average user of FG is so tech savy as to be able to do this. Most users do not even know what "control a machine remotely" means.

Sadly, this (allowing a client to control the server machine as GM) is one of the features of MapTools that I really miss in Fantasy Grounds.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

While that would work in theory, we have issues with load times on maps and images already, with a virtual box running it, I can predict some serious lag.

My group is eight people, five of whom share GM duties.

121/420

• 4 weeks later...

Okay here is the dumb question. When you speak of Moding the BRP can I mod it for Stormbringer 1st-nth edition? This meaning I have to input the races, Weapons, Skills and such? Second Dumb Question is anyone running this on MAC OS X 10.4 or higher are they using Crossover Mac?

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I'm not familiar enough with Stormbringer to give a definitive answer: if it has a different basic mechanic (such as d20 skills instead of d100) then modding will be quite difficult, but if it is like recent BRP then it should be straightforward. In the latter case, you'd need to input skills, spell/power types, possibly the characteristics (APP vs CHA, for example) and the default weapons. Modding the ruleset doesn't include adding new races/monsters, spell descriptions etc: that stuff is standing data which can be entered by the GM/player anyway, and is called 'module' material in FG-speak. Adding modules for standing data is useful (so players and the GM have easy access to it), but is separate from changing the underlying game mechanics.

The free user guide explains ruleset modding, and can be downloaded from the FG site, or from here.

Hope that helps

Stuart

thx making the purchase

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Forgot to answer your second question: there isn't a native version for the Mac, but folks run it under Windows emulators and there are posts on the FG site explaining the various levels of success. As a DirectX product, emulation isn't trivial, but I believe it is satisfactory.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up FGII Ultimate Pack ... Like it also it works smoothly with OSX with cross over MAC software.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Okay anybody want to game ? I am more than willing to host I have the free adventure... I think since i have the ultimate pack you guys can just plug into the game.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Okay anybody want to game ? I am more than willing to host I have the free adventure... I think since i have the ultimate pack you guys can just plug into the game.

I'd be down. I'd need to know at least a few days in advance when you're wanting to play, though.

121/420

Cool.... I just found out I need to install vista on my mac to open the application file.

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Changing post see below...

Edited by Bleddyn
to clearly define

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Just to give everyone a heads up I am attempting just get a group of gamers together for weekly ( weekend ) gaming. I can play from usually 8 pm EST to 2-3 EST ( GMT-5)....Saturday or Sunday.

I have the BRP and Classic Traveller rules.

What I would like to do is put together a Young Kingdoms ( ELRIC/Stormbirger Game), I am presently working on the Age of Arthur (Fantasy-Dark age BRP) and classic Traveller. I just pruchased Fantasy Grounds a few days ago and am still learning the kinks of the system. I do have one BRP adventure ready (the one you can get for free)... Next saturday . If you are sencerrly interested let me know by PM.

Please let me know how old ( I am 39 and am looking to play in an adult group). Your BRP preference (RQ Glorthana or Youngkingdoms) or Traveller (I can set up two different days). I may use voice or not depending on who it goes. If you really want to play and need FG let me know ( I am fairly well off and like to play santa claus).

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

If you really want to play and need FG let me know.

I think you have the Ultimate licence, which means your players don't need to buy FG at all: they can install the unlicenced version of the client and connect to your games for free.

Foen

yes then that is what I have.....

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

• 2 weeks later...

Strombringer 1st Edition and Elric ! mods for Fantasy Grounds have been release. I am excited..... Now I can get a group going.

http://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/BRP_Stormbringer_Elric!_Extension

http://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/BRP_Stormbringer_1st_ed_Extension

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36