NPC skill levels

Soccercalle

On 1/29/2022 at 6:27 PM, soltakss said:

Don't forget that RQ2 NPCs list Common Runemagic among the spells that they know. Also, they have multiple castings of Runespells and have multiple stacked spells.

I did not forget. Counting all that is why the total is so high, but that is the number of points of power one would have had to sacrifice in RQ2 to access those spells.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:27 PM, soltakss said:

Whilst you could simply take the Rune Points across, that breaks the RQG rules on Rune Pools.

Yes. That cap on Rune Pools is my least favorite rule change in RQG. Initiates became rune magically much more powerful in RQG and that's fun to play. But I find it counterintuitive that rune magically powerful characters from RQ2/RQ3 become weaker in RQG - and some become much weaker. That doesn't seem to fit with the magically powerful units in the board games or the exploits of the heroic NPCs. Philosophically and mythologically I don't like a rule that forces a worshiper who is focused on a single deity to have a much lower magic potential that one who worships multiple deities. Especially when there is no corresponding mechanical benefit for their focus.* Join lots of cults to get more Rune Points sort of fits what we see of Arkat's progression where he joins one cult after another. However, the game system doesn't support being able to regain points from unfriendly cults/deities so the counter example doesn't hold mechanically.

But it's easy enough for me to ignore that rule should it matter in play.

* This is just another manifestation of the anti-Humakti bias I saw creep in with RQ3. 😉 I'm kidding. Mostly.

6 hours ago, jajagappa said:

It has, and it is.  The correction IIRC was posted in the subsequent WF issue.

I did not know that. I don't have the subsequent issue. Anyone know what the corrected date was?

31 minutes ago, Bren said:

That doesn't seem to fit with the magically powerful units in the board games or the exploits of the heroic NPCs.

Arguably it does.  No-one with their own counter in Dragon Pass or Nomad Gods is just a "CR50" (or whatever other number) generic worshipper of a single god, and nothing else.  Presumably they're using h4x0rs like initiation into Hero Cults -- some of which might closely relate to the magic of their main deity.  Or have mindboggling enhancements to their CHA,maybe itself related to having heroically large Reputation.  Or the usual standby explanations for everything, Illumination!

I'll grant you that's a bit schematic and generic as rationales go.  Hopefully we'll get more detail how this works out on the various waypoints on The Hero's Journey from CHA 20 to CF 20 as future publications cover that!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:29 PM, Bren said:

Yes. That cap on Rune Pools is my least favorite rule change in RQG. Initiates became rune magically much more powerful in RQG and that's fun to play. But I find it counterintuitive that rune magically powerful characters from RQ2/RQ3 become weaker in RQG - and some become much weaker. That doesn't seem to fit with the magically powerful units in the board games or the exploits of the heroic NPCs. Philosophically and mythologically I don't like a rule that forces a worshiper who is focused on a single deity to have a much lower magic potential that one who worships multiple deities.

Consider this then... those who are going to be accruing so many Rune Points that they're likely to run out of CHA space for any new ones are likely to also be the initiates (or higher) who will be doing the (even minor) Heroquests for the cult, and that could easily transfer into having additional CHA purely for the purposes of holding more Rune spells (along with the additional CHA gained from successful HQs - along with the reputation) - and not merely single point type additions.(eg, 1D6+X?... 2D6 would just suck if you only rolled 2)    (also, although I've read that Hero Points for a Hero Soul after a Heroquest will no longer be used, perhaps there's something with a sort of similar mechanic???)

Also - although the above might seem a little shoehorned in, consider that the number of people that this applies to is vanishingly small across the lozenge - significantly lower than the number of Initiates who actually perform in those Heroquests...

On 1/29/2022 at 10:43 PM, Bren said:

Magic is where Londra's real power lies. She's listed as a Runelord/Runepriest of Humakt and a Priest of Orlanth. Between personal POW, Allied and bound spirits, and crystals she has 60 MPs, some special crystals, and a lot of Spirit Magic. And for Rune Magic she has a whopping 63 Rune Points (yes that is six-three) and her Allied Spirit has 12 Rune Points of its own. As for her age, I'm hoping there is a misprint because the write up says the stats are as of 1617 and that she was born Godday, Disorder Week, Dark Season, of 1605. Which would make her all of 12 years old. She must have been initiated really young. That Argrath guy better watch his step. 😉

That was corrected in a later issue of Wyrms Footntes to 1598. 

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

That was corrected in a later issue of Wyrms Footntes to 1598. 

That makes her old enough to have played with the children of Salinarg as a toddler, but a year or two too young to be a fighting member of the Household of Death in 1602. She may have undergone some initial training, though.

Telling how it is excessive verbis