What do we know about Entekos?

Orlanthatemyhamster

I am interested in her as a non-Red Moon deity, I'm not really interested in the idea that she is a face of Orlanth, though connections with Molani [SP?] or good, as I am much more interested in her as the goddess of sweet air, the summer breeze. 

I have a good grounding in her in the Entekosiad, which actually only has a little about her. But any secrets you may have gleaned from that or elsewhere,  would be most welcome and I'll willingly pay the price of that knowledge...

😉

Edited by Orlanthatemyhamster
Not Heler

She's Umath's eldest child, she's not a sweet breeze, but a storm goddess. Her feast day with Dendara brings storms and much-needed rain to Dara Happa - a role that suggests that Entekos, called "Addi" in Western Peloria, which refers to a phallic stick in the Entekosiad, was the female husband of Dendara, much as Orlanth is the Earth's husband elsewhere, but has been minimised to nothing under the Yelm and subsequent Lunar cults. (A quick reality check that the Lunar Empire has ruled for over four hundred years, so we should never forget the Lunars.)

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

She's Umath's eldest child, she's not a sweet breeze, but a storm goddess. Her feast day with Dendara brings storms and much-needed rain to Dara Happa - a role that suggests that Entekos, called "Addi" in Western Peloria, which refers to a phallic stick in the Entekosiad, was the female husband of Dendara, much as Orlanth is the Earth's husband elsewhere, but has been minimised to nothing under the Yelm and subsequent Lunar cults. (A quick reality check that the Lunar Empire has ruled for over four hundred years, so we should never forget the Lunars.)

So, and I ask Jeff about this. Is posible to a player with the air rune to enter in Entekos cult? 

1 hour ago, Jose said:

So, and I ask Jeff about this. Is posible to a player with the air rune to enter in Entekos cult? 

We don't have stats for Her cult, but she's a Storm deity. I don't know how much active cult there is for her at this time, however; the Lunars are the real contenders for the Middle Air these days against Umath.

6 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

I'll willingly pay the price of that knowledge...

You'll be able to read about Entekos in the upcoming Prosopedia. She is in the Yelm Pantheon: the Goddess of Air (Air, Harmony). She is called upon to restrain the gods of thunder, rain, and winter. In the Orlanth Pantheon, she's called Molanni, Calm Air (Storm, Stasis). She has other aspects, and even a picture!

The price will be the for the PDF, which as usual is subtracted from the cost of the print book when it comes out.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

She's Umath's eldest child, she's not a sweet breeze, but a storm goddess. Her feast day with Dendara brings storms and much-needed rain to Dara Happa - a role that suggests that Entekos, called "Addi" in Western Peloria, which refers to a phallic stick in the Entekosiad

Thanks very much. She's described as the still air, Wind, Air and Storm are the same rune I always thought, from stillness right through to 300mph.

I'm not ignoring the Lunars, I'm just not concentrating on her as an aspect of the moon. She predates Umath as far as I can see [but Godtime, ayyy? So who knows?]. 

Do you have references for this? As I would be really interested in reading more of it! 

Thanks again. 

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

You'll be able to read about Entekos in the upcoming Prosopedia. She is in the Yelm Pantheon: the Goddess of Air (Air, Harmony). She is called upon to restrain the gods of thunder, rain, and winter. In the Orlanth Pantheon, she's called Molanni, Calm Air (Storm, Stasis). She has other aspects, and even a picture!

The price will be the for the PDF, which as usual is subtracted from the cost of the print book when it comes out.

I never expected so literal a reply! 

It was a joke about the price of forbidden knowledge, but I am really glad of the info! 🙂🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

We don't have stats for Her cult, but she's a Storm deity. I don't know how much active cult there is for her at this time, however; the Lunars are the real contenders for the Middle Air these days against Umath.

I thought he was dead/devolved into his sons, so not really an entity as such anymore? 

In the words of Shargash "Umath's dead baby, Umath's dead." 

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:

You'll be able to read about Entekos in the upcoming Prosopedia. She is in the Yelm Pantheon: the Goddess of Air (Air, Harmony). She has other aspects, and even a picture!

I also saw her as the relief when Yelm’s gaze was too much for mortals to bear, so clouds to give shade. A god of [small] mercy. 

6 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

I also saw her as the relief when Yelm’s gaze was too much for mortals to bear, so clouds to give shade. A god of [small] mercy. 

Ah such poetry. It would bring a tear to my eye were I not able to (when I thinking of the child of Yelm and Entekos 🙂).

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

10 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

She's Umath's eldest child, she's not a sweet breeze, but a storm goddess.

That's how I have her in my Glorantha, born when Umath rubbed against Aether Primolt, as he lifted his father away from the earth. Aether created her as the Lower Sky, to keep him unsullied, so Umath did not touch him. Umath created her as the Upper Air, the best and most rarefied of the Storms.

10 hours ago, Jose said:

Is posible to a player with the air rune to enter in Entekos cult? 

In my Glorantha, yes. Also, in my Glorantha someone with the Fire Rune can enter her cult. But, my Glorantha Varies.

7 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

I'm not ignoring the Lunars, I'm just not concentrating on her as an aspect of the moon. She predates Umath as far as I can see [but Godtime, ayyy? So who knows?]. 

I wouldn't say that she predates Umath, but I come from the point of view that all Storm deities ultimately derive from Umath.

7 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

She's described as the still air, Wind, Air and Storm are the same rune I always thought, from stillness right through to 300mph.

Some air is still, Brastalos is a goddess of still air, but she moves about her centre, so might not be still. Molanni is also a goddess of still air, but she is bad air.

Entekos is Heavenly Air, or Sky Air, in my Glorantha.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 1/27/2022 at 3:07 AM, Scotty said:

Entekos shows up several times in the Cults Book as an associate of Yelm and Dendara:

ENTEKOS

Entekos is the goddess of still, quiet air. Unlike her brothers, she calmly joined Yelm’s dominion. She is called upon to restrain the gods of thunder, rain, and winter. She is also called the Goddess of Calm, the White Planet, Lady of the Summer Air, the Goddess of the Middle Air, and Mother of Moons. She is called Molanni by the Orlanthi. She gives Yelm her spell of Decrease Wind.

-------

Entekos, the Pelandan goddess of quiet Air, has always been a major figure in Pelanda, but is a relatively minor figure in the rest of the Lunar Heartlands. Dendara and Entekos are always associated with each other. Entekos is called Molanni by the Orlanthi.

In Pelanda, Entekos is the Atmospheric Goddess, the High Goddess of Virtue, and the planet Dendara. In Dara Happa, Entekos is a minor goddess, a house-servant of Yelm, almost nothing more; while Dendara is the Emperor’s Wife, the planet, and the Goddess of Women.

Entekos gives Dendara her spells of Decrease Wind.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Entekos shows up several times in the Cults Book as an associate of Yelm and Dendara:

ENTEKOS

Entekos is the goddess of still, quiet air. Unlike her brothers, she calmly joined Yelm’s dominion. She is called upon to restrain the gods of thunder, rain, and winter. She is also called the Goddess of Calm, the White Planet, Lady of the Summer Air, the Goddess of the Middle Air, and Mother of Moons. She is called Molanni by the Orlanthi. She gives Yelm her spell of Decrease Wind.

-------

Entekos, the Pelandan goddess of quiet Air, has always been a major figure in Pelanda, but is a relatively minor figure in the rest of the Lunar Heartlands. Dendara and Entekos are always associated with each other. Entekos is called Molanni by the Orlanthi.

In Pelanda, Entekos is the Atmospheric Goddess, the High Goddess of Virtue, and the planet Dendara. In Dara Happa, Entekos is a minor goddess, a house-servant of Yelm, almost nothing more; while Dendara is the Emperor’s Wife, the planet, and the Goddess of Women.

Entekos gives Dendara her spells of Decrease Wind.

I hope some day we will have her full cult (spells and skills) thanks for the info Jeff. 

21 minutes ago, Jose said:

I hope some day we will have her full cult (spells and skills) thanks for the info Jeff. 

Remember that outside of Karasal, Oronin, and Silver Shadows satrapies, she really does not have a cult. In Karasal and Oronin she is pretty significant - in those satrapies her cult is about the same size as Oslira, Polaris, and Yelm, but significantly smaller than say Dendara. In places like Sylila, Darjiin, Kostaddi, or the Lunar Provinces she doesn't have a cult.

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/27/2022 at 7:02 AM, Qizilbashwoman said:

Nice summation of the Orlanthi view of her, I'm not looking at her from that angle. She's born before that deity of violence or at the same time. The 'Addi' is both a digging stick and a spear/javelin, so if it's a dildo it does a lot of rooting around too. Dara Happa doesn't need storms to have rain, nor is that how she's described before being tricked by [a] Hare. She's a nice counterpoint to the overwhelmingly macho air gods and while she's part of Yelm's Empire, she plays an important part in shielding mortals from his pure gaze. At least IMGlorantha.
I can't see any mention of her birth from Umath, though she is 'Mother of Moons'.

Lots of people rule over others for hundreds of years and are still seen as interlopers by many who are 'subsumed', ask the Welsh, the Ukrainians or the Basques or, well, you get the idea.

punctuation

On 5/12/2022 at 8:01 PM, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

Lots of people rule over others for hundreds of years and are still seen as interlopers by many who are 'subsumed', ask the Welsh, the Ukrainians or the Basques or, well, you get the idea.

I don't know what this is referring to with regard to my post

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 5:21 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

I don't know what this is referring to with regard to my post

"A quick reality check that the Lunar Empire has ruled for over four hundred years, so we should never forget the Lunars"
So the part of my reply about the Welsh et al was in reference to this.

She's not a Storm god for the Dara Happans, and is very much an Air God, in a similar way to Lodril not being a Sky God any more.

1 hour ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

"A quick reality check that the Lunar Empire has ruled for over four hundred years, so we should never forget the Lunars"
So the part of my reply about the Welsh et al was in reference to this.

She's not a Storm god for the Dara Happans, and is very much an Air God, in a similar way to Lodril not being a Sky God any more.

Lodril is literally a Sky/Fire god, he's just "ethnic" now because the Fire Nation has a strict ascetic hierarchy. The Lowfires are present in Orlanthi and Praxian cults but they are still fire/sky gods, just really low-ranking ones who were 'exiled'. And Yelmalio is not a Sky loyalist, but an independent party tied to Illumination, but still is a Sky/Fire deity.

If you want to talk about panthea that's not the same thing as divine identity. Besides, Lodril is a bad example because he's literally a member of the traditional Sky pantheon (like Molanni and Dendara).

Heler/a is still a Water deity even if they're Orlanthi/"Earth Tribe". Yelmalio was Sky pantheon and now is in some intermediate space leaning Sky/Moon. And Prax was an Earth pantheon that's turned into something entirely different.

Also, "Storm" and "Air" are the same; just because she's tame/loyalist doesn't unmake her identity. "Air" is the space made between Sky and Earth by Storm.

I 100% don't understand these distinctions.

24 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Also, "Storm" and "Air" are the same; just because she's tame/loyalist doesn't unmake her identity. "Air" is the space made between Sky and Earth by Storm.

Well, broadly, Entekos as presented from the Pelandan and Dara Happan perspective is as a goddess who prevents storms and keeps the weather calm and pleasant. So it does seem a little bizarre to say that she's a storm goddess. Now, there's some embedded stormy aspects there, but that distinction does make sense to me on a straightforward common English definitions level. 

• Like 1

Though a Lunar through and through, she is also a human being.

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

Thinking in runes, Storm and Air are the same. Mastery over air includes mastery over storms, even if you mostly just tone them down. Choice is not a word we should use with Gloranthan deities, but I would say Entekos has the potential to create storms, not only to tame them, even if it is not her role in Peloria / Pelanda. Activating that potential would be a great undertaking the first time, but it would become easier as you create a stormy role for her.

It should be in the dumb section, but I just had a vision that that is what the Reaching Storm is. Entekos the Stormbringer. 

1 hour ago, JRE said:

Thinking in runes, Storm and Air are the same. Mastery over air includes mastery over storms, even if you mostly just tone them down. Choice is not a word we should use with Gloranthan deities, but I would say Entekos has the potential to create storms, not only to tame them, even if it is not her role in Peloria / Pelanda. Activating that potential would be a great undertaking the first time, but it would become easier as you create a stormy role for her.

It should be in the dumb section, but I just had a vision that that is what the Reaching Storm is. Entekos the Stormbringer. 

Molanni has the Air Rune. But is she a storm god? Is she Brastalos*!

I separate out Storm and Air, one is not the other, just like Heat is not Light.
There really should be a way of differentiating the two.

*I'm sure you understand my word substitution, but if not, it sounds very much like 'bullocks'.

Keyboard went crazy.

3 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Lodril is literally a Sky/Fire god, he's just "ethnic" now because the Fire Nation has a strict ascetic hierarchy. The Lowfires are present in Orlanthi and Praxian cults but they are still fire/sky gods, just really low-ranking ones who were 'exiled'. And Yelmalio is not a Sky loyalist, but an independent party tied to Illumination, but still is a Sky/Fire deity.

If you want to talk about panthea that's not the same thing as divine identity. Besides, Lodril is a bad example because he's literally a member of the traditional Sky pantheon (like Molanni and Dendara).

Heler/a is still a Water deity even if they're Orlanthi/"Earth Tribe". Yelmalio was Sky pantheon and now is in some intermediate space leaning Sky/Moon. And Prax was an Earth pantheon that's turned into something entirely different.

No he isn't a sky god, he isn't even in the Sky anymore! His official Rune is Heat, which dates back to Cults of Terror more than forty years ago. He maybe a Fire God, but he's no longer a Sky god, he gave that up when he decided to stay on the Earth. This is all detailed in GRoY and elsewhere.

They are called the LOWfires for a reason, i.e. they are no longer part of the Sky.

Yelmalio isn't tied to illumination any more than Orlanth is.
I suggest we avoid the Elmal/Kargzant/Yelmalio/Antirius et al discussion, for both our own sanities.

I am certainly not talking about Pantheons.