Skill base chances. What do you prefer ?

weasel fierce

Sure. I just wasn't assuming any other manipulation of system in my reply.

Yeah. I know. It is just that several people have different goals and expectations. Some want simple math, some want the cat bases to be reflected in improvement, etc.

It is possible to come up with options, even simple options that can satisfy multiple goals.

Of course, the fact that I did something just like what I suggested in a BRP variant that I wrote up last fall, just happened to prompt me down that particular path. :D

I am really leaning towards using the cat mods as base skill percentages (use whole stat instead of STAT-10 in the formulas), and then halving for difficult skills and doubling for easy skills.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really leaning towards using the cat mods as base skill percentages (use whole stat instead of STAT-10 in the formulas), and then halving for difficult skills and doubling for easy skills.

Yeah. That is a fast and simple method and certainly works well enough.

Despite the requirement for more frontloaded work (and character sheets!), I've actually kinda liked the RQ method of having a category bonus *and* a skill specific base. The thinking is that not every skill in a category is going to be equally difficult. Also, cultural and/or racial differences can have a significant difference in base skills. If you simply start all skills in a category at the same base level (admittedly, I think you were proposing higher levels) I think that it removes some of the granularity of the game. At the risk of invoking the slippery slope, this sort of approach is what leads some games and/or game systems to make even broader skills (like say a generic "athletics" skill). Cause if all skills in a category start with the same percentage, why bother making 8 or 10 different skills? The next level of simplification is to just use a single skill named after the category and be done with it? And hey! If we use a single stat as the base of the category, then why even have skills? Just roll off the stat instead... Well, Gee. We're back to D&D!!! (and it even rhymed...).

IMO, anything that makes character skills and stats more dynamic is a good thing. That's why I like the idea of having a separate bonus and base. One determines how quickly you advance (based on your stats), while the other determines how good you start based on racial/cultural background. I also like having multiple stats affect a category (with multiple categories benefiting from any one stat as well). That way you avoid one-dimensional aspects that other games tend to create. Oh! I'm a fighter, so I've got a high str and con. So my skills that base on those stats are good, while the ones based on dex and int aren't so hot (and never will be since I'll learn them so much slower).

Where those values are set can vary wildly based on the game setting and specific campaign, but I think that preserving that granularity is useful.

Currently I am not yet sure what I will use when I "translate" my setting and

system into BRP.

On the one hand I like the simple CoC system with the "flat" base chances,

on the other hand I find the Ringworld RPG system with its skill categories

based on stats and its root and branch skills far more "realistic" and probab-

ly better suited for a science fiction setting.

Well, I think I will do the additional work and go for the Ringworld system ...

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

On the one hand I like the simple CoC system with the "flat" base chances, on the other hand I find the Ringworld RPG system with its skill categories based on stats and its root and branch skills far more "realistic" and probably better suited for a science fiction setting.

Well, I think I will do the additional work and go for the Ringworld system ...

Ringworld, I've been interested in that skill system since I heard about it too. Wonder if a pdf copy of the game exists? Or a scan of the skill system pages? :confused:

My email adresse is trifletraxor [at] basicroleplaying (dot) com, just in case anyone wondered. :rolleyes:

(not suggesting anything illegal of course! :P)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

No PDF, unfortunately, but perhaps a few informations:

There are 5 Skill Categories:

- AGILITY (Root Skill Maximum STR + DEX)

Skills: Melee Weapons, Archaic Ranged Weapons, Athletics, Hide, Sneak, Un-

armed Combat

- COMMUNICATION (RSM INT + APP)

Bargain, Debate, Fast Talk, Fine Arts, Musicianship, Orate, Own Language,

Perform, Psychology

- KNOWLEDGE (RSM INT + EDU)

all science, technical and foreign language skills

- PERCEPTION (RSM POW + CON)

Handgun, Heavy Weapons, Listen, Observe, Scent, Search, Track

- TECHNICAL (RSM DEX + INT)

alle vehicle skills, repair, weapon systems

Does that help somewhat ?

(Charlie Chan)

IMO, anything that makes character skills and stats more dynamic is a good thing. That's why I like the idea of having a separate bonus and base. One determines how quickly you advance (based on your stats), while the other determines how good you start based on racial/cultural background. I also like having multiple stats affect a category (with multiple categories benefiting from any one stat as well). That way you avoid one-dimensional aspects that other games tend to create. Oh! I'm a fighter, so I've got a high str and con. So my skills that base on those stats are good, while the ones based on dex and int aren't so hot (and never will be since I'll learn them so much slower).

Where those values are set can vary wildly based on the game setting and specific campaign, but I think that preserving that granularity is useful.

I am in agreement here. I like the idea of having multiple characteristics contribute to a category modifier. I like that each skill has its own base chance, and that a certain skill's base chance can be altered due to cultural background. All this work is really done once at character creation, and thereafter it only simple addition/subtraction to modify a skill and/or category modifier.

BRP Ze 32/420

Ringworld, I've been interested in that skill system since I heard about it too. Wonder if a pdf copy of the game exists? Or a scan of the skill system pages? :confused:

My email adresse is trifletraxor [at] basicroleplaying (dot) com, just in case anyone wondered. :rolleyes:

(not suggesting anything illegal of course! :P)

SGL.

There is a Ringwolrd RPG website at Larry Niven's Ringworld

Loz, (Lawrence Whitaker) & David Gordon also used to maintain a Ringworld RPG website. Maybe Loz still has the files somewhere?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

No PDF, unfortunately, but perhaps a few informations:

There are 5 Skill Categories: [snip]

I played in a short-lived Ringworld campaign a long, long time ago. At first I thought the RSM mechanic was brilliant but it quickly became meaningless and complicated at the same time.

These days I use 2 stats as base scores for every skill and the MRQ notion of "basic" and "advanced" skills. For a while I had 7 category modifiers each based on 2 skills, but now rather than forming a skill taxonomy and having to occasionally shoe-horn skills into a slot that doesn't fit, I use skill labels instead. So for example, 1H Axe skill is a "combat" skill and an "agility" skill with the base score = STR+DEX. I find it more flexible system.

Thing is, when you break the Ringworld RSM system down, all it is is skill category modifiers that you have to spend points on during character creation. It is much easier just to skip the spending points bit and have a skill plus category modifier or in my case, a skill base chance based on 2 stats.

For example, say you want to play a Botanist. In RW you train your knowledges RSM up to its limit then start training in Botany at a base score equal to your RSM. In my system, you spend time learning a new skill (Botany) and it starts at a base chance equal to INT*2. (It would be INT+EDU if I used EDU). They both end up in the same place.

The main thing I remember about RW is that EDU and POW can hit stratospheric levels quite quickly which means that you can be looking at 50%+ RSMs for skills at character generation.

• 2 weeks later...

Blind archers and swordsmen ... frankly, I do not believe that anything of

this kind realy can and does exist. However, if I would have to explain it,

I would use some kind of psionics.

(Charlie Chan)