The Stupid is real.....

svensson

'Stupid' is not a description. Stupid is... a force of nature, an element, an essential facet of the human condition. It's so prevalent, that I've taken to calling it The Stupid [caps intentional].

And The Stupid is EVERYWHERE.

But this isn't me looking down the ski-slope that is my nose at anyone. I'm good for at least two cases of The Stupid every day, and those are just the ones I'm aware of. I'm not a particularly wise man, but I had an epiphany on this subject. Perhaps you'll find some use in it.

"On any given day, in any situation, YOU are somebody else's idiot." As in, 'WTF does that idiot think he's doing?'

Case in point: This morning I was thiiiis close to buying another copy of the BRP Big Yellow Book. I couldn't find mine, and I'd looked all over the place for it. It was on the bookshelf, ONE shelf away from the rest of my RQ/BRP/Mythras titles... ONE Goddamn shelf. And I was literally on the Chaosium site and about to enter my credit card info when I finally figured it out.

So, yeah... The Stupid is real. Beware The Stupid.

Feel free to share your The Stupids here. YOUR The Stupids, not other people's 😁

Edited by svensson

It's my own Stupid, but I know I'm not alone in having lost a gas-cap by leaving atop the car as I drove away from the gas station.

I choose "on top of the car" because it's *exactly* at my own eye-level as I pump the gas; it's presumably the LEAST "over-look-able" spot for it (I have tried "balanced on the slot where the handle of the gas-hose sits" but that's usually too streamlined, and the gas-cap falls off).

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, g33k said:

It's my own Stupid, but I know I'm not alone in having lost a gas-cap by leaving atop the car as I drove away from the gas station.

I choose "on top of the car" because it's *exactly* at my own eye-level as I pump the gas; it's presumably the LEAST "over-look-able" spot for it (I have tried "balanced on the slot where the handle of the gas-hose sits" but that's usually too streamlined, and the gas-cap falls off).

Fortunately for me, all the cars I have owned are idiot-proof (for that specific point): The gas cap is opened ... with the ignition key. That way, if you forget to put back the cap, you have a half pound thing that stays between your key and where it is supposed to go. Hard to miss. My main Stupid is checking all tires pressure ... except for the back up one. When you get a tire puncture, you have a problem (I am not speaking of the old beetle where the windshield washing system is powered by the pressure of the backup tire, ensuring this one is never ok.).

• Like 1

Just as an aside, Americans are not educated in the Latin language as a rule. But with the advent of Google Translate, we look a little less The Stupid to our more classically trained European friends.

So imagine my surprise, nay, even my joy when I discovered yesterday afternoon that 'stupidus' is a legit Latin word. 'Stupidus' as in 'homo stupidus'.

So now we can all take comfort in being labelled properly.... 😆

• Haha 3