Pavis & Big Rubble Companion: The Directors' Cut Relaunch

Ian A. Thomson

11 hours ago, soltakss said:

Congratulations!

Cheers Mate

First time I ever published anything like this, so I have no idea what to expect

My only clear hope is that a bunch of people enjoy and play the campaign

Other than being excited to be able this time to present the entirety of what Greg and I discussed (my interpretation of course cos we didn't agree on everything, but we did on a lot, and the core 'secrets' we absolutely did at the time :)

Just had a huge chat to Fabian, and he's on the case, so I'm leaving the book in his care, and maybe it will be online when I return to civilization in two weeks!

Apologies to the contributors. I was trying hard to get personalised copies ready to send, but I've got less than 2hrs to pack before I go away.

So it may be we do it the old-fashioned way, with a link to the Jonstown version to download one copy. Will have to decide on that in a couple of weeks when I'm back. Huge gratitude for all your help!!

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 3

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

"The old-fashioned way" is good if you ever revise the text or add bonus content: contributors get the new stuff added to their downloads, and you don't need to keep mailing them updates.

The tool you probably want is Account > My Content > Promotion Tools > Send Complimentary Copy to email individual contributors.

If you're feeling fancy you can use Promotion Tools > Create/Edit Special Discounts instead to make a freebie voucher code (you can limit it to being used X times: don't ever let a Voucher of Infinite Discounts out into the wild!). That way you can email all your contributors at once, instead of pasting their emails one after another into the comp copy tool.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2022 at 5:45 PM, Nick Brooke said:

"The old-fashioned way" is good if you ever revise the text or add bonus content: contributors get the new stuff added to their downloads, and you don't need to keep mailing them updates.

The tool you probably want is Account > My Content > Promotion Tools > Send Complimentary Copy to email individual contributors.

Oh yes, updates. As much as I like to think there won't be any...

Yeh right 🙂

So that'll be the best way

Still away, and happy to say that internet access is very limited in the Outback

So desolate and magnificent it made me wonder about whether one can also write Cthulhu fan-stuff the same way

Will have to check that when I get back to civilisation

Oddly I also have a tonne of information about Melbourne in the 1890s that I research for another project years ago

Melbourne by Gaslight?

• Like 2

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

43 minutes ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

So desolate and magnificent it made me wonder about whether one can also write Cthulhu fan-stuff the same way

Yep, Miskatonic Repository is your friend.

https://www.chaosium.com/miskatonic-repository/

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

Any news about when this will be released on JC @Ian A. Thomson ?

A week or so ago Fabian told me it would be happening this weekend just gone, so I am imagining any day now. I'll drop him another line now.

• Helpful 1

12 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

A week or so ago Fabian told me it would be happening this weekend just gone, so I am imagining any day now. I'll drop him another line now.

Hofstadter's Law: "Things always take longer than you first think, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

You can do it yourself, you know? It doesn't take any time. If Fabian is trying to upload community content via a publisher account, I hate to think what could be going wrong...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

4 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

You can do it yourself, you know? It doesn't take any time. If Fabian is trying to upload community content via a publisher account, I hate to think what could be going wrong...

I don't want to envision the possible confusion & slow-downs that might occur from two different parties trying to upload the same content via two different OBS creator-login ID's (the vague sense of dread is sufficient).

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

There is a totally understandable work requirement in "overcoming creator anxiety," that takes as long as it takes. Just looking forward to seeing the eventual product, no matter how long it takes!

• Like 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

33 minutes ago, AlHazred said:

There is a totally understandable work requirement in "overcoming creator anxiety," that takes as long as it takes. Just looking forward to seeing the eventual product, no matter how long it takes!

Times that by many, as this was a product of a great many folk.

In my case, I undertook a large project on one part of it (successfully by the grace of the goddess) and then my health failed. I tried to undertake more, but there was no possibility of it happening. Too weak and too sick. There goes one bit of the organization slowing down the project. I would imagine an undertaking like this must have made Ian a Cat Herder Par Excellence by the end!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• Like 6

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

It'll sell like hot cakes, but perhaps mostly to old grognards or to people who feel they missed out on being old grognards.

I think it might sell like even hotter cakes if the page on DTRPG is "brightened up" a bit to say more about what the book contains; maybe get "Pavis" in the title; and be a bit clearer about what it is (massive refresh of out-of-print material); and how it relates to the core Pavis and Big Rubble books from RQ2.

But after all this discussion it's great to finally see it on sale!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

22 minutes ago, Brian Duguid said:

It'll sell like hot cakes, but perhaps mostly to old grognards or to people who feel they missed out on being old grognards.

Speaking of which, in checking out the City on the Edge of Forever link, I saw that the Cults of Prax PDF is on sale for $2.59 for the next 4 hours and some minutes.

• Like 3

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

18 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

Great! I have ordered it and are looking forward to the next installments. My PCs will come to Pavis in late 1620 so I will have to adjust the timeline a bit.

Late 1620 should work fine. Simple slight timeline shifts only required :)

• Like 1

Hi Folks

So yes, Part 01 is finally up online!! :)

I have been alerted to the fact that I missed out one important contributor credit, so a new version has just been sent to Fabian, and I hope will go online ASAP

I also took the morning to review the whole document again, and found two grammar mistakes, one spelling mistake and an incorrect spell description that I thought I had updated earlier

Contributor copy links will be sent out as soon as this updated version is online

I am currently working on Vols 01 and 02 at the same time (due to crossover material now being included)

Should only be a few weeks before they are done. Wondering how regularly to release each following vol. Thinking every 3 or 4 months?

Also, thanks Brian, I have written a more detailed blurb and sent that to Fabian now as well

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 8