Pavis & Big Rubble Companion: The Directors' Cut Relaunch

Ian A. Thomson

Somebody back down the track was talking about working on a Homeland History for Mansiders.

This is not something I can take the time to do myself unfortunately (way too much else to do)

But if that person sees this post, and has a document they would be happy to share for the next publication, I'd be delighted to make any necessary revisions and include it on Vol. 02

EDIT: Contact made :)

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 2

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

Bevara?

I am reverting to an idea from the original series

Old Pavic folk would have far less use for someone like Chalana Arroy as opposed to someone who can grab an axe and slice into the spine of a nomad/broo/ogre/troll when required

CA seems like a luxury they couldn't afford

Coupled with the fact that Pavis City was originally a mainly Heortling settlement way back then (albeit EWF based), my sense is that over the early challenging centuries Bevara would have risen to prominence and been widely adopted

So I need to write a local version into Vol. 02 for the Old Pavic culture

Does anyone have any fan write-ups or can point me to some official info? I think the official info is sparse.

Thanks

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

14 minutes ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Bevara?

I am reverting to an idea from the original series

Old Pavic folk would have far less use for someone like Chalana Arroy as opposed to someone who can grab an axe and slice into the spine of a nomad/broo/ogre/troll when required

CA seems like a luxury they couldn't afford

Thanks

Have not, but if I can postulate... My fave kick butt healer is an Ernaldan!

ETA

Or a shaman priest of any flavour that has Heal Wound!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Just now, Bill the barbarian said:

Have not, but if I can postulate... My fave kick butt healer is an Ernaldan!

Bevara (from what people have been saying) is now firmly an Ernaldan subcult

I'd want to make it a shared subcult with Pavis, so that males can also be part of it, although since Vingans worship Orlanth maybe there is 'Bevaro' for the minority of fellas who are drawn to heal? I am not implying here that they need to be 'feminine' to follow this path, no more than being a fighting Vingan means you must act like a man.

3 minutes ago, metcalph said:

The official information on Bevara is quite scare for the simple reason that the current thinking no longer favours myriad subcults.  If Bevara exists, she wouldn't be a seperate cult, a name of Ernalda when she provides a specifc runespell.

Hmm. Some more thinking required. Since Pavis in this material does have a bunch of herocults maybe then there is Pavis the Healer. He did fix Waha up after all

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Bevara (from what people have been saying) is now firmly an Ernaldan subcult

I'd want to make it a shared subcult with Pavis, so that males can also be part of it, although since Vingans worship Orlanth maybe there is 'Bevaro' for the minority of fellas who are drawn to heal? I am not implying here that they need to be 'feminine' to follow this path, no more than being a fighting Vingan means you must act like a man.

Can't one be a male Ernaldan initiate... to be higher one has to have been pregnant (given birth to a healthy child)... but that should not be impossible for a Gloranthan male. And do not forget shaman priests, hell even a shaman with the right spirits on hand! I believe Daka Fal shamans can do one use resurrections!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Can't one be a male Ernaldan initiate... to be higher one has to become pregnant... but that should not be impossible for a Gloranthan male. And do not forget shaman priests, hell even a shaman with the right spirits on hand! I believe Daka Fal shamans can do one use resurrections!

I welcome comments about this

I'll probably go with Pavis the Healer, but maybe model it on Bevara.

And likely create a named Pavic hero from the old days, someone who followed that aspect of Pavis's history/myths/magic and maybe adapted in Bevaran magic

One of the benefits of writing about stuff that began in the EWF was that it was a time of hybridisation and experimentation, so a lot of weird relic stuff that isn't normal can be present in the Old City culture

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

I welcome comments about this

How about an Aldryami healer-cult?  Or XU, from the Uz?

For the Mostali, their entire racial *existence* is about repairing -- healing -- Mostal.
Arguably, all Mostali are either Healers, or Healer-adjacent!

Re-integrating the Man Rune implies (at least some) re-integrating those races' cults, one presumes...  😉

• Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, g33k said:

How about an Aldryami healer-cult?  Or XU, from the Uz?

For the Mostali, their entire racial *existence* is about repairing -- healing -- Mostal.
Arguably, all Mostali are either Healers, or Healer-adjacent!

Re-integrating the Man Rune implies (at least some) re-integrating those races' cults, one presumes...  😉

The Aldryami link makes sense, due to the strong Pavis connection. I will look into that. Is there already an Aldryami healer?

There is totally Dwarf stuff going on in that broad regard too but not publicly (spoilers)

EDIT: This post contained the clue that was pivotal in reminding me of the already existing Pavic Hero Cult that would be ideal

Edited by Ian A. Thomson

2 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

The Aldryami link makes sense, due to the strong Pavis connection. I will look into that. Is there already an Aldryami healer?

Chalana Arroy's son, Arroin, is known as Eron to the Aldryami. Arroin has previously been described as a non-magical healer - but Eron may not be.

Edited by Brian Duguid
  • Helpful 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

4 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Can't one be a male Ernaldan initiate... to be higher one has to have been pregnant (given birth to a healthy child)... but that should not be impossible for a Gloranthan male. And do not forget shaman priests, hell even a shaman with the right spirits on hand! I believe Daka Fal shamans can do one use resurrections!

You could have a male Ernaldan priestess if he follows the Nandan subcult then he can bear children and meet thr requirments, Would make for an interesting Pavis cult hero

• Like 1

I am happy to report on further investigation one of the already-existing more secret herocults is a 'Doh!' for having a more public face that is the Old City battlefield medic. (Revered only now in this one aspect publicly, and once worshipped back in Pavis City in a much wider capacity.)

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 1

'Counter Chaos' Rune spell?

I would be delighted if someone can message me the spell description

I will delete this message if that occurs

Much appreciated :)

Edited by Ian A. Thomson

Counter Chaos is probably in every Kyger Litor write-up ever published. So should be easy to find!

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

8 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

'Counter Chaos' Rune spell?

I would be delighted if someone can message me the spell description

I will delete this message if that occurs

Much appreciated 🙂

RQ Glorantha Bestiary, p.82

Red Book of Magic, p.33

• Helpful 1

51 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

RQ Glorantha Bestiary, p.82

Red Book of Magic, p.33

And there it is in the Bestiary

Didn't appear when I did a pdf word search earlier today

So thanks for that :)

• Like 1

Searching my messages here for the person who was giving me valuable advice on runes for spells and cults and not yet able to find that thread [EDIT - person found!] :)

(The amount of messages is wonderfully indicative to the amount of help I am receiving, which is very appreciated and honestly also critical!) :)

Vol 01 has already had one update with a couple of extra pages added, and a small amount of little (but valuable) rewrites, and since then others have also found a bunch of small errors that I adjust in the working doc as soon as I get them

And someone pointed out that I had missed the association of all spells with Runes, and had some good ideas in that regard. So I want to revise/include Runic associations of cults and spells in Vol 01

After which that should be the final version of Vol. 01 ready to upload

If you see this please remind me who you are and we can start a new message thread. Apologies as I am managing several threads, plus also flat out daily life and studies at present

Vol 02 is still progressing apace (maybe 70% done and laid out), and since much Old City Cult information is in there, it too will benefit from such a discussion of runic associations

Cheers

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 3

@Rick Meints has some of them. There's a website here that shows the covers and contents:

https://misershoard.com/index.html

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

--

On 11/16/2022 at 2:52 AM, Ian A. Thomson said:

Didn't appear when I did a pdf word search earlier today

n.b. there is a thread -- "PDF text flow" over on Alastor's Skull Inn -- documenting odd PDF-searching behavior...

Edited by g33k
edit-down
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 11/27/2022 at 5:55 AM, mdomino said:

Hi, enjoying the read of vol 1. Any idea when the next volume will drop?

Best.

M

Thanks so much :)

It's an insane amount of work, so it always makes a difference to hear from someone who enjoys it

Work is well underway on Vol. 02, but it also contains a larger proportion of new material, so still a fair bit to finish (once again thanks so much to volunteers for invaluable support!!!!)

Probably January

I was beginning the process of adding text to the awesome cover created by Dario Corallo and Kris from Beer with Teeth when I saw this msg, so delayed responding for an hour so I could attach this sample when it was finished :)

PS: If you do reviews on DriveThru they are always hugely appreciated as most people don't have the time, and yet they make such a difference when people are considering buying something

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 7

Fabian just let me know that he has uploaded the second (which may well be the last) updated version of Vol 01

* Some small formatting changes due to errors, and to and tweak appearance

* Tiny number of remaining spelling mistakes

* Runes added for Rune Spells and for (what I think of as) Rune Spirits, and for the Cult of Pavis

* Some old HQ terminology revised to accurately reflect RQG

* The cover text has also been slightly revised to change 'PC' to 'adventurer', and this new cover is part of the whole pdf that is downloaded. Fabian hasn't had time to replace the promotional image yet on the JC page

Up to date version is now also number. In this case, Version 1.2

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 4