Pavis & Big Rubble Companion: The Directors' Cut Relaunch

Ian A. Thomson

22 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Another question - who did the God Learners worship as a primary? I've tried looking it up, but can't find the answer, and was spending time I could have been continuing with the last bits of Vol. 02. So I've given up and gone back to that more productive task 🙂

Malkion?

The Invisible God of the Abiding Book, which they called (or understood as) Makan the Creator, or if they were heterodox heroquesting manipulators, Malkioneran.

The Zzabur mythology in Revealed Mythologies has a Devolution of the One Mind/Prime Mover through various stages of realisation as the One World (result of the Second Action, the stage for the Third Action) devolved into Danmalastan, which then collided with (integrated with) the Surface World of Creation that shares the Monomyth.

Ancestral Malkion - the child of Aerlit and Warera Triolina - is an emanation of this deity in its Devolution, reborn in a demigod body which inherited from the body's parents (local storm god, water demigoddess), too when he sired (and/or created) the people of Brithela with a bunch of Goddesses and/or the migrating Logic Tribe that descended from the Spike. All of these ancestries are true, instantiation of the pluripresence of the Prophet who is an emanation and part of the Prime Mover/One Mind. This ancestral link to Makan changes the perspective of the descendants of Malkion, making them descendants of the Creator.

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

VOL 02 is (pretty much) DONE!!!

OMG what a herculean task

I don't care if this is repetitive - Thank you people so much!!!!!

I couldn't have done this without the volunteers, it is WAY more work than I ever imagined

It will get easier now, mind you, as the majority of new writing is at the start - to set the foundations

From now on until the last part of the campaign (which will also need a lot of new writing) a much larger proportion will simply be revising and expanding what as previously published

(I will put in new stuff of course, but just not in such major proportions)

There's still some revising and proofing of the last few pages of Vol 02 to complete [EDIT - all done but the final check throughs.]

Nonetheless as of today I have a completed copy here

Beer with Teeth also sent me an almost complete cover the other day and I sent them notes on the last details to be added

Vol. 02 won't get the Feb release I had hoped, but definitely by mid-March 

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

7 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Vol. 02 won't get the Feb release I had hoped, but definitely by mid-March 

Excellent news!

Now, in the grand spirit of RQ forums, when can we expect to see Volume 3?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Final Read-Through Volunteers?

Hello folks

Doing the read-throughs and formatting tweaks today, and have only found a small number of minor errors

That reminded me though, that back in the day there was always me, an editor/proofer AND a 'final read-through person'

Even then mistakes would slip through of course, but obviously a lot less of them

Am wondering if anyone is up for reading 1-3 pieces as an 'interested reader' and letting me know if they spot any errors of lack of clarity, or other incongruences?

If a few people chip in on this it won't be much work. More just a chance to read some of the material early :)

Cheers

• Like 3

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

7 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Hello folks

Doing the read-throughs and formatting tweaks today, and have only found a small number of minor errors

That reminded me though, that back in the day there was always me, an editor/proofer AND a 'final read-through person'

Even then mistakes would slip through of course, but obviously a lot less of them

Am wondering if anyone is up for reading 1-3 pieces as an 'interested reader' and letting me know if they spot any errors of lack of clarity, or other incongruences?

If a few people chip in on this it won't be much work. More just a chance to read some of the material early 🙂

Cheers

I would love to. You have my mail in earlier DMs.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Hello folks

If a few people chip in on this it won't be much work. More just a chance to read some of the material early 🙂

Cheers

Sure, you already have my email too.  Or can do it my message here. Either one.

• Thanks 1

Cover arrived thanks to the hard work of Kris from Beer with Teeth, and I added the border and the text, and created a back page

and went through the book myself to check formatting and obvious errors

Last stages then are just the read-throughs, and we have some volunteers for that

So I'm now busy locating the articles for my projected contents lost of Vol 03, and putting them in order

Vol 03 will have the least new work of the books so far, but I still intend to revamp and expand everything, and add in at least two new scenarios (as well as organising the RQG stats)

Actually - in the meanwhile...

Vol02coverFSMLsample.jpg

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 13

On 2/27/2023 at 8:41 AM, Ian A. Thomson said:

Hello folks

Cheers

Happy to do read throughs if you still need volunteers?

• Thanks 1

We've got some champions working on the final-reader reviews, and locating an embarrassingly large number of things to change. Thanks folks!

However, these are all within the natural parameters of writing something as quickly as I can (and compared to the word count not so many really), so all is looking good. :)

I'm scanning the document of course myself again too, as I type in these changes. And making some clarifications and improvements as I go.

Latest update is I have harvested from pdfs almost all of the material for Vol. 03 (about 70% of it will be revised material from the original series) and placed it in a working document. And one absolute champion is doing the basic formatting for me. So Vol. 03 is suddenly also leaping ahead

It will take a while to complete as I want to have brand new scenario material in there, or at least significantly expanded versions of 2 or 3 scenarios from the original series.

I would estimate June/July for Vol. 03

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 7

Can't wait to see vol 2 on Drivethru. Really enjoyed vol 1. I'm hoping we can eventually get them in print. Recently ran the Yazirian's Duck Bandits scenario and am planning to run a River of Cradles game in the future. Just have to decide which materials- Borderlands, Avalon Hill stuff, Director's Cut?

Best.

M

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 4:41 AM, mdomino said:

Can't wait to see vol 2 on Drivethru. Really enjoyed vol 1. I'm hoping we can eventually get them in print. Recently ran the Yazirian's Duck Bandits scenario and am planning to run a River of Cradles game in the future. Just have to decide which materials- Borderlands, Avalon Hill stuff, Director's Cut?

The advantage of time meant that I ran all of Borderlands, all of Strangers in Prax and all of Shadows on the Borderlands as part of my P&BR house campaign. All of these other sources are mentioned in the text with brief notes on how to adapt and include them if someone owns them (or if they are available to buy). For those folk running a long-game :)

So glad you liked Vol. 01. :)

I feel that Vol. 02 might be even better, mainly just because it includes more interesting stuff about the Big Rubble and the Old Pavic society and cults

Thanks to the epic champions who are assisting.

The last of the 'interested final reader' proofs are coming in regularly, and the changes are being immediately adapted into the text

Probably only 15% of the book still to be done

No rush, if you are one of those still working on pieces. I'm happy to aim for mid-March, and will just put it out sooner if the proofs are all done before that point. But no issues if not

All the read-through notes are back in and typed up. Just doing some extra read-throughs myself, and finding a few things. Of course, as with Vol. 01, we will inevitably find at least a few more errors as time goes on, and a new version will be uploaded, so I'm very close to being happy to let it go out there for Version 01. Few more days at most I imagine

• Like 4

Finally! :)

Vol. 02 is complete and checked to first-release quality.

Thanks heaps again to the final reviewers (as well as all of the other collaborators/volunteers)

I'm quite a perfectionist, so it takes a long time to get it polished enough - apologies

But I know there will always be errors and bits to clarify etc, so I figure trying my hardest to get it right for the first release means that these inevitabilities will be at least minimized!

Depending on when Fabian has the time, I would expect it to be released in the next few days

EDIT: <Gibbering laughter> Have found and corrected three formatting errors, and added one new illustration, since posting this earlier today. </Gibbering laughter> (Not that such things will postpone the release.)

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 7

Version 1.5 of Vol. 01 as of a few hours ago is up on DriveThruRPG!

This may be the last ever update of that book. Fingers crossed :).

Anyway, another small number of grammar and formatting errors fixed, some clarification of spells, and a handful of sundry other minor revisions due to the evolving work in Vol. 02 having made some snippets of Vol. 01 need alteration.

Plus one personality has been expanded, and with new image courtesy of Roy Duffy :)

This is all in preparation for Vol. 02

I am working on one final additional piece of information for Vol. 02, and receiving feedback about that already, so it should be fine to pass the second book on to Fabian tomorrow for him to put on Drivethru

I'll make a new announcement post when it goes up, but will also mention it here

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 3

Vol. 02 is up there on drivethru!! :)

Vol. 01 is still discounted for a day or so, so if anyone doesn't have that yet, now is a good time if you want it

I'll make a proper announcement page now too

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/430121/Old-Pavis-The-City-that-Time-Forgot-RuneQuest

Main contributors/volunteers will of course be getting links for their copy sent to them shortly if they haven't already

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BalazarLightson said:

Really happy these are once more seeing the light of day. Lots of fond memories of you trying to kill us back in the day.

Ah, I was always on the side of the Adventurers. It's just my skills as a GM that made it seem I wasn't! :)

Yeh, with so much setting of the background, character creation, cults, and introductory scenarios, it is only now as I start to write Vol. 03 that we finally begin incorporating (revised versions of) the campaign adventures

• Haha 1