Pavis & Big Rubble Companion: The Directors' Cut Relaunch

Ian A. Thomson

On 3/15/2023 at 2:19 AM, Ian A. Thomson said:

as I start to write Vol. 03 that we finally begin incorporating (revised versions of) the campaign adventures

Lots of stat blocks to look forward to 🙂 Happy to help if required...

17 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Drivethru links for contributor copies have been sent out. 🙂

And having a quick flick through, it looks amazing!  Getting something that's pure gold for such humble offerings, that's quite a deal!

Thanks muchly Mr Thomson!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stephen L said:

Lots of stat blocks to look forward to 🙂 Happy to help if required...

And having a quick flick through, it looks amazing!  Getting something that's pure gold for such humble offerings, that's quite a deal!

Thanks muchly Mr Thomson!

It is just slightly above fantastic, isn't it?

• Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

There are also inevitably going to be errors or omissions and things (I've found 3 minor ones already and had one minor one brought to my attention) so there will be at least one revision update at some point. Feel free to let me know any that you spot

This is completely at anyone's own discretion, but if you do like it a lot then those top reviews on Drivethru are very helpful in assisting others to know they are in for a worthwhile purchase. No pressure, just appreciated if anyone feels inspired to do so.

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 3

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

• 2 weeks later...

After chatting with Nick about options now that Vol. 01 is eligible for hardcopy, we are going for a color illustrated, revised cover version of Vol. 01

Happy to have Dario back actively involved coloring in some of his original works :)

Just realised too, that this means that a color illustrations version of the Vol. 01 pdf will also be available in the not too distant future

I will consider putting the price up slightly when that happens cos its a chunk of cash to color it all up

But that won't affect anyone who already has it of course

You'll just get a super color image update, probably later in April

• Like 10

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

So, I just sent off the color illustrations version of Vol. 01 to Fabian, to see if he can upload it by 2nd April

Those of you who already own it check your drivethru accounts on 2nd or 3rd

Shout out to Simon Bray, as we had two of his images in the book, and it took Dario to point that out. Full credits now included to Simon, who generously was happy for us to continue using them :)

Gonna have a short holiday and break, then get the pdf color version of Vol. 02 probably by mid-April

And here's a preview of the cover for [EDIT - this is now the cover for Vol. 04 not 03]

Vol03coverZZZ02_SML.jpg

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Unrepentantly repeating myself...

I am back in action again and steaming into Vol. 03 after my trip away, and feeling very supported by the volunteer collaborators.

If you buy and enjoy the books, take a moment to look at the list of credits in the front

Without these people these books would not exist

I really don't know what I was thinking when I decided to take on the job of getting this material all back out again, let alone in these expanded forms. It would literally be impossible!

Can anyone guess what building is finally getting the full treatment today? :)

Temple exterior art 2 SMLR.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 6:21 AM, Erol of Backford said:

The Pavis Mint? 😜

If there is potential for hard copy print when might we see it?

Best wishes Mr. Thomson!

Yes, Vol. 01 is already eligible. Some enhancements and a revised cover still to be sorted before that occurs, but Nick B. has already generously offered to make the pdf into a hardcopy printable version

My estimate is that hardcopy Vol. 01 will be out in July at the latest

Vol. 02 is selling quite well too, so maybe that will catch up by then and also be eligible for hardcopy at that time. All that remains for that to be revised to a new pdf edition that is hardcopy-ready is one more colorised image from Dario, and one more from Kris of Beer with Teeth. So I imagine that the color-image pdf version of Vol. 02 will be updated onto drivethru by the end of April. (This is also the version that can be converted to POD-ready.)

From now on I am working on all copies so they are suitable for both pdf and hardcopy, which means that in future if further vols sell well enough to be hardcopies then there will be no extra revising to do

Oh, and the Pavis Mint has already been done, and will also probably be in Vol. 03 as well :)

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 5:11 AM, Ian A. Thomson said:

Unrepentantly repeating myself...

I am back in action again and steaming into Vol. 03 after my trip away, and feeling very supported by the volunteer collaborators.

If you buy and enjoy the books, take a moment to look at the list of credits in the front

Without these people these books would not exist

I really don't know what I was thinking when I decided to take on the job of getting this material all back out again, let alone in these expanded forms. It would literally be impossible!

Can anyone guess what building is finally getting the full treatment today? 🙂

Temple exterior art 2 SMLR.png

Looks to me like the New Pavis temple to the city god, directly outside the Wall. The place you go to if you want to join or contact the Pavis Royal Guard without entering the Rubble or risk running afoul of one of its patrols.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

IMMINENT:

Dario has been working like a champion on colorizing a bunch of his old images, and Vol. 02 is finally upgraded to have many colored pics in it :)

Just emailed the revised pdf to Fabian, so that will be updated on drivethru as soon as he has the time

As part of checking it all out for POD-readiness - Vol. 01 has also had a few corrections and small bits of extra information added. Plus a couple of extra colour pics added, and in my archives (today!) I just discovered two original maps to replace those I had recreated from pdf scanning, so two of the Knowledge Temple maps are now slightly better quality. And Vol. 01 will also be updated at some time in the next few days

ONGOING:

Kris of Beer with Teeth is working on a revised cover for Vol. 01, for the POD

I'm working now (assisted by some epic collaborators) on Vol. 03, which will contain maps and plans, and gazetteers, on a number of New & Old Pavis locations as well as more bad guys, good guys and scenarios

As part of going through the archives,  I managed (quite easily) to find Juha Harju online. He created a dozen or so images for the original zines, and he has not only said we can re-use them but is redoing three of them that I only now have in low-res scans. What a hero!

Plan is to release the Vol. 01 POD and Vol. 03 by July

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 8

VOLS. 1&2 of the P&BR Companion Director's Cut just got updated on Drivethrurpg.com!! :)

VOL. 01 - A few corrections, added snippets of new and revised information, replacement of 3 or 4 images with better quality or colored versions, one credit added in the general acknowledgments that was missed.

VOL. 02 - MANY new colored images replacing the b&w ones, thanks to Dario Corallo being back on the team! Yay! Plus a handful of corrections and revisions of small pieces of the text to match the unfolding material in Vol. 03

• Like 5

Puzzle Canal?

I had a short piece and map somewhere about the Puzzle Canal. I'm pretty sure I have found literally everything else from the original series, but can't find that, so it must have been an extra piece or something

Anyone of you budding archivists have a copy of my short Puzzle Canal piece? I would love to use it as the basis of a much larger new adventure that is pivotal to the campaign

MAP-MAKERS?

We have a bunch of superstars supporting me with various elements of getting the series back out there, which critically supports my very long hours of writing and editing :)

One wonderful fellow is working on some very artistic maps that are really awesome, and so I don't want to ask him to take time off for this different (simpler) map task

Simon Phipp was awesome in letting me use his map of New Pavis and adapt his map of the Big Rubble for the new series, and I am just now thinking that I would love the large Rubble map to be even more detailed, like a proper illustration

Does anyone out there have decent with map-making software (that could produce a map I can publish in the zines), or is a dab hand at sketching (since even a cool freehand map would suit the tone)?

And willing to draw me up a map of the Rubble that is a more 'illustration' version of the one in Vol. 02?

I can add all names and numbers in Photoshop so only the art is needed

Obviously you'd be entitled to a free pdf version of any zine it was in (the first two) and if you already have those, then a free version of the next two instead

Anyway, love to see a sample of ideas if anyone is able and willing to help out this way :)

Even something like the attached would be wonderful. Bearing in mind that the Big Rubble in my Glorantha is a far larger scale and slightly elongated, so individual elements would be smaller and further apart

RubbleSample.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Is Korlmar the White a canon high healer in Horn Gate?

I thought (she?) was, but can only find references on Jane Williams Glorantha pages

Am reconstructing together Holiday Glorantha: Horn Gate and wondering about such details

I seem to recall reading about the healers being evicted from Pavis and later also leaving Horn Gate, but can't find any references

BOOKS PROGRESS

There is so much material that the next book will probably just be Pavis County (with a first chapter on Pavis, and a last chapter of scenarios) [circa 1620]

Followed by a River of Cradles/Prax volume. And also with Pavis and adventure chapters [circa 1621 - yes a synchrony of the year and vol focus with certain major historic events!]

On 5/10/2023 at 12:47 AM, Ian A. Thomson said:

Is Korlmar the White a canon high healer in Horn Gate?

Not sure about canon but mentioned in Drastic Resolution Prax p.6. King of Sartar p. 169 and a few other references...

Maybe she was related to King Korlmar of the Colymar, went to Prax after Sartar was invaded?

• Helpful 1

14 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Not sure about canon but mentioned in Drastic Resolution Prax p.6.

Ahah

That will be where the reference first came from!

Maybe she liked beer so much that after her dad burnt down the Gerydog Inn she left him for Prax and they brew beer with healing properties at Horn Gate?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0sWzyV9uN-uajd8jz0-ObNmlEzNwpkGKV9QI-nBOCjg&s

Not a she..

Korlmar the Most White: Prince Argrath's Healing Companion. He was killed at the Battle of Yoran

He was succeeded by Heortarl the Lightbringer

https://glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Korlmar_the_Most_White

(Battle of Yoran: A battle that Prince Argrath fought in 1638 ST.)

Edited by Erol of Backford

Only about 20% of Vol. 03 is fully finished (layout, editing & illustrations), but as of a couple of days ago now has 90% of the raw articles in, sufficiently for me to now know the order and focus. So I thought I'd finalise the cover text today, as a break

(The previous cover shown for Vol. 03 will now be Vol. 04)

BorderlandsCover10MaySML.jpg

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 12

Looking VERY forward to it, @Ian A. Thomson!

I also want to say that I like the cover illustration. The zebras look like... well, zebras and not Percheron destriers with stripes on them. I've tried to explain to players that zebras are 'about 1/3 again the size of pony' and they keep insisting that they can go 'quatro a' quatro' with Bison Tribe lancer and win. Hopefully a picture showing characters actually mounted on zebras will disabuse them of that notion.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, svensson said:

Looking VERY forward to it, @Ian A. Thomson!

Yay :)

30 minutes ago, svensson said:

I also want to say that I like the cover illustration. The zebras look like... well, zebras and Percheron destriers with stripes on them. I've tried to explain to players that zebras are 'about 1/3 again the size of pony' and they keep insisting that they can go 'quatro a' quatro' with Bison Tribe lancer and win. Hopefully a picture showing characters actually mounted on zebras will disabuse them of that notion.

Yes, these are the standard riding zebras. The war zebras are of course a different story! :)

7 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Yay 🙂

Yes, these are the standard riding zebras. The war zebras are of course a different story! 🙂

Well, even if they are 5 or more hands taller with the increased musculature that implies, a War Zebra is slower than a Impala or High Llama and far, far less massive than a bison or rhino.

• Like 1