Human Race, Ethnicity, and Dragon Pass

Storm Khan

On 2/15/2022 at 10:19 AM, Ormi Phengaria said:

The Great Winter wasn't a genocide. They didn't even intend on its occurrence, and they suffered by it just as much as everyone else.

The Great Winter was absolutely a horrific, terrible thing that killed enormous numbers. But yes, the Lunars did not fully realise how terrifying it would be - I suspect they hoped for the death or Orlanth, but deluded themselves that Ernalda would be much less effected. Though I’m sure Tatius* claims he knew what he was doing and it was just mythically necessary and the death of so many was just acceptable collateral damage. 

They did, however, suffer from it a little less than most Sartarites, due to easier access to emergency food supplies from the North (corn bread at the Seven Mothers temple!), and due to still having access to their magic which at least meant they could fight off enemies, heal injuries, etc much more effectively than magic less Orlanthi. But being canny proselytisers, they used this to some extent to help at least those Sartarites who were open to it. I bet many Orlanthi still bearing a grudge against them, but some are grateful (if quietly). But it’s going to be very much about religion not ethnicity - most people won’t know about the role of the Assiday etc, but will have seen Seven Mothers worshippers (often Tarshites etc who look like them, but many of them Sartarite converts) given advantages they were denied. 

(as a side issue - I’m quite interested in what the stories of the non-Orlanthi in Dragon Pass in the Great Winter would be like, especially the Grazelanders (who presumably have the same brutal problems with the power of Ernalda denied to both the vendref and the FHQ and all her Ernalda priestesses, but at least they have all those Yelm worshippers, and what is that story) and the Yelmalions (who on the one hand are suffering almost as badly as anyone on most metrics, but on the other hand are absolutely 100% mythically set up to stoically endure this like Yelmalio did)

* IMG, Tatius never knows what he is doing, but is always very sure he does. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, g33k said:

But -- regarding your Lunar NPC -- in places where Lunars are unwelcome:

• When they open their mouth to speak, I expect there will be an issue of "accent."
  • The presence of Moon-Rune tattoos and ornamentation (embroidery, jewelry, etc) will mark them.
  • The LACK  of "good solid Orlanthi/Ernalda/Lightbringer" tat's and ornamentation will also mark them.

So, yeah; it's entirely possible this will be an issue, at least sometimes.  If she acts quiet/shy, keeps her mouth shut, wraps up in a nondescript cloak and pretends to sleep a lot... maybe not much trouble.

I presume you're including the NPC to be a "feature" of the game, not a boring generic... so obviously there will be problems!

Thank you for your careful consideration of my ideas! This sort of thing is exactly what I have been getting at all along.