Improved RQG Index

PhilHibbs

I find the RQG index less than helpful.

image.png.370d8e446767e434edfd0d1fa47a3e3a.png

Ok, so which page to I go to to find out about Yelm? That's a lot of pages to check! Most of those are going to be incidental references.

image.png.938501810953fe02fbd86345efb53e2e.png

In this one, the primary description of the Cult Lore skill is on page 179, which isn't even in that list.

I started going through the index underlining the primary reference page numbers.

Then I thought... other people might use this.

I've now made a document with the primary reference page numbers in bold, fixing up other issues as I encountered them.

image.png.3bb8229938cf440c221527c2b6d6ccf7.png

Before I release it, does anyone have any suggestions or corrections that I can include? Anything missing that should be in the index?

Latest version:

Alternate download on Google Drive

Editable source file:

RQG Index v1.2.odt

Edited by PhilHibbs
Google Drive alternate download
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 6

The best RPG index ever (IMO) is in 13th Age, where a Glossary is folded into the Index. So if you're looking up a key game term, you find a succinct definition of what you're looking up, as well as all the page references (with key ones bolded as per your RQG example). That's probably more work than you wanted, but I'll mention it just in case.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Before I release it, does anyone have any suggestions or corrections that I can include? Anything missing that should be in the index?

You're only looking for sensible stuff, yes? So nothing like "Bless Pregnancy 321 (see also RBoM 18)"?

Much more usefully, you'd have something like "Rune points xx, yy, zz (Starting Rune Points), aa, bb, cc (maximum number of Rune Points), dd, ee (Replenishing Rune Points)" and so on.

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

Speaking personally, I know the basic layout of the book and so I know that for example in the Yelm entry, the 77-79 is character creation, and 306-308 is the cult writeup. I want to keep the page count down, adding more detail would work against that. It's currently 8 pages so four double-sided sheets and that's enough I think.

I've already considered the option of going through and cutting out some of the page references that aren't really useful. Just because the page contains the word "training", that doesn't mean that it is in any way relevant to someone looking up "training" in the index! Maybe I should have just deleted anything that I wasn't going to put in bold!

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I find the RQG index less than helpful.

I started going through the index underlining the primary reference page numbers.

Then I thought... other people might use this.

I've now made a document with the primary reference page numbers in bold, fixing up other issues as I encountered them.

Oh wow, Phil... Fantastic, utterly fantastic. Thank you!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!