Are these covers official?

Nerun

• Nerun changed the title to Are these covers official?
On 4/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, Nerun said:

Hi there,

Somebody know if these covers are official? Mongoose have published revised / updated book covers?

Hmmm, not sure. The first one, I think, was used on an OpenQuest publication. @Newt ?

I do believe that I read somewhere that Mongoose was reworking Legend though, so its certainly possible. 

SDLeary

P.S.: the first is similar to the OpenQuest cover in 2010, though on it there was a dwarf instead of the closest human, and a duck.

On 4/5/2022 at 10:57 PM, Nerun said:

Hi there,

Somebody know if these covers are official? Mongoose have published revised / updated book covers?

I've not been able to see any mention of new covers on the Mongoose website. The pdfs still have the same black cover, and the release schedule is empty of any Legend-related publications.

Where did you find these?

7 hours ago, SDLeary said:

Hmmm, not sure. The first one, I think, was used on an OpenQuest publication. @Newt ?

I do believe that I read somewhere that Mongoose was reworking Legend though, so its certainly possible. 

SDLeary

P.S.: the first is similar to the OpenQuest cover in 2010, though on it there was a dwarf instead of the closest human, and a duck.

Yes, i have seen that cover in OpenQuest too. That's why i am asking.

Would be great if Mongoose give a chance to Legend again.

5 hours ago, Mugen said:

I've not been able to see any mention of new covers on the Mongoose website. The pdfs still have the same black cover, and the release schedule is empty of any Legend-related publications.

Where did you find these?

I do really don't remember. I found this in my PC. It was there for years. Then i gone to DriveThruRPG to redownload it and... The official covers are all black! What surprise me is that it's a great work, good quality and uses Mongoose logo!

I made a "Google Search by Image" to see if i found the origin but no results. Some fan did that surely. But i don't know how, where or when i take them.

Edited by Nerun
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Nerun said:

I am starting a translation of Legend Core Rulebook to brazilian portuguese. If covers are fake i can not trust the content. I will use official one.

You should also probably tell Jon where you found them. He regularly chases up people who use his art without permission.

jon@handiwork.games

• Like 5

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

Based on @Newt's comment above, I've removed the images, so that this site isn't a source for IP violations.

Honestly, I kinda wish thumbnails had been left in place:

1. Tiny little 160px thumbs don't seem likely to negatively-impact the artist in question
  2. (AFAIK) they weren't links to any infringing texts
  3. it therefore doesn't appear BRPC would be a "source" for the IP violations

And documenting the infringement seems worthwhile in its own right!

Always modulo any takedown request by the artist or by Mongoose, of course!

Edited by g33k
converted to list
  • Sad 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:
  • Tiny little 160px thumbs don't seem likely to negatively-impact the artist in question

Unfortunately from my experience with working with artists* who have had their work used without permission, it does cause a very large amount of emotional upset to the artist who sees their copyrights violated. Its not something they can easily brush off, and its something they have to actively pursue take down. 

Taking down the offending image, even if it a thumbnail, is the right thing to do and greatly restores their peace of mind.  

*including Jon, who unfortunately has many tales of people quite frankly taking the piss over the rights of his work. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

2 hours ago, Newt said:

Unfortunately from my experience with working with artists* who have had their work used without permission, it does cause a very large amount of emotional upset to the artist who sees their copyrights violated. Its not something they can easily brush off, and its something they have to actively pursue take down. 

Taking down the offending image, even if it a thumbnail, is the right thing to do and greatly restores their peace of mind.  

*including Jon, who unfortunately has many tales of people quite frankly taking the piss over the rights of his work. 

Speaking as an artist, I feel entirely different on the topic; but I defer to your experience on this, as you've undoubtedly worked with more artists, and thus have more data.

For myself, seeing someone make an inquiry & learn it's NOT an official (and licensed!) product (and state it's therefore untrustworthy) would be nothing but satisfying.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 3 weeks later...