How do you think BRP is doing?

Conrad

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe "if...were to do" would render a conditional subjunctive in this instance. But I'm sure there is a linguist out there who can put me right on that score.

But to go back to the original question - as has already been pointed out there is a lot of material out there from the various BRP/RQ/D100 variants, and more coming out every month. I don't know how much of this is purchased for use or as collectables - is there any data or anecdotal evidence on that?

I don't know how much of this is purchased for use or as collectables - is there any data or anecdotal evidence on that?

I suspect that this would be difficult to distinuish. For example, I often buy mate-

rial I have no immediate use for, but which may become most useful with one of

the future setting ideas on my list, and sometimes also material as an inspiration

to expand that list. I do not know whether I will really use such material one day,

but I do not consider myself a collector - if some material is outside my areas of

interest, I do not buy it, because I am not interested in a complete collection.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• 5 weeks later...

To just dip back to the original topic of this thread: "How do you think BRP is doing?"

I think it's doing great! Thanks to Alephtar Games and Cubicle 7, we have a steady supply of high-quality supplements, and the big fanbase produces monographs for a ton of different topics. Even if Chaosium did nothing, BRP is pretty much set.

SGL.

Made a trip to the big Local FLGS to see what they had.

Still 1 copy of the BGB and the usual CoC stuff ( down on the bottom shelf).

Crusaders otAC and Dragonlines from Alephtar.

Clockwork and Chivalry books from Cubicle 7. ( eye level) ( which amazon.ca says aren't available yet )

Lots of MRQ1 and some MRQ2 stuff ( including Deus Vult) . ( eye level)

So it looks like the d100 rules are making their way through the distribution system. Of course none of the monographs will be on the shelves, which is a shame.

I use  fantasygrounds.com

Made a trip to the big Local FLGS to see what they had....

So it looks like the d100 rules are making their way through the distribution system.

Sadly that is not universal. Last time I walked into my local FLGS they only had 4th edtion D&D books on the shelf, and now new products for other game systems. What backstock they had was pacxked into boxes.

So BRP and even MRQ are not making any headway in my area. :(

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I live in the US, and unfortunately I never see anything by Chaosium. I went to a games store in Lansing, MI, but they only had 2 books for old MRQ1. I talked with the owner a bit and he said he used to get some Chaosium and Mongoose stuff but no one wanted them, so he stopped getting them.

I mostly see 4th edition and maybe PathFinder.

Hi all

I've just jumped on board the BRP wagon having finally reached the point of no return with D20/Pathfinder (nothing against PF btw; it's a great game, it's just not the game I want to run anymore). I intend to continue running my long term (30+ years) Greyhawk campaign with BRP and then branch out into a Sci-fi setting and then Cthulu for my son who loves a bit of fear>:>.

Looking forward to converting Greyhawk and wandering through all the supplements for inspiration. So for me BRP represents a bright and intriguing future.

Hi all

I intend to continue running my long term (30+ years) Greyhawk campaign with BRP and then branch out into a Sci-fi setting and then Cthulu for my son who loves a bit of fear>:>.

Looking forward to converting Greyhawk and wandering through all the supplements for inspiration. So for me BRP represents a bright and intriguing future.

Do you have a group that you have convinced to make the jump as well ? Do you do any gaming online ( ie Fantasy Grounds) ? Are you going to use Classic Fantasy for BRP ?

Not too sure about the group as the decision I made to drop Pathfinder was a greeted unfavourably. I've only got two regular players at the moment due to a couple of relocations but what may have appeared to be a sudden decision to change system was actually the result of growing discontent and an increasing tendency for players to min/max. What I will do is to run the campaign for my son and take things from there. I do feel a little guilty about dropping the game with players having long established characters but I subscribe to the theory that no gaming is better than unsatisfying gaming.

I've never done any online gaming so may have to look into this; any guidance here is welcomed although, as with most folks, time can be a real issue.

I will certainly plunder Classic Fantasy (I've already downloaded it) for the bits that will be helpful although I will need to reconcile this with my desire to break with the past. Where it will be most useful, and time saving, is in the spell descriptions and creature stats in CF2 when it arrives.

Regarding on-line gaming you have basically two basic choices. Play by Email (PbEM) or Play by Post (PbP) is the first. Pros include that everyone can post when they have time, and you often see more actual roleplaying (as a result of people having more time to think things through). Cons include everything taking much longer to resolve and players not posting quickly or frequently enough. This is my famoured way of playing on-line and can be a lot of fun. Good sites for this are rpg.net and rpol.net

Your second choice is using a program that allows everyone to play at the same time, called a Virtual Table Top (VTT). There are several, but most include a strategic map you can move 'figs' on, dice rollers, chat and other tools to simlate a face to face game. Battlegrounds, Maptools are popular but there are many more. I have no experience with these so can't really comment.

There also a site called scenegrinder.com that looks like a hybrid of PbP and a VTT.

PbEM is something we've been doing for quite a while and PbP before that; I thoroughly enjoy these turns as they add a great deal of colour to individual player characters and the campaign world as a whole.

I'll certainly check out the online tabletops but I'm not too sure it's my thing.

With the risk of annoying someone by posting in the wrong thread. Here are some threads about Fantasy Grounds with BRP:

http://basicroleplaying.com/showthread.php/1902-Basic-Roleplaying-released-for-Fantasy-Grounds-II?highlight=fantasy+grounds

http://basicroleplaying.com/showthread.php/2056-Fantasy-Grounds-In-Search-Of-The-Trollslayer?highlight=fantasy+grounds

I've been rpging pbp for about 8 years now. I play in a RQ2 game on :

http://www.gringlespawnshop.proboards.com/index.cgi

I have been in a FG game for about 2 months now, with a good group and it has been fun.