How do you think BRP is doing?

Conrad

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vile Traveller

That would attract only players aged 40+, and we already have them.

Hey, watch the italics! ;)

Hrmm, that doesn't quite work with quotes ...

That would attract only players aged 40+, and we already have them.

Nof once the Films come out. One thing about a remake is that is allows some ancient subject to become "new and trendy" again, not to mention mainsteam.Just look at what the LOTR film trilogy did for/to Tolkien's works.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Are you suggesting a High School Musical supplement or is my heat-addled brain imagining implications that aren't there again?

The All-Singing, All-Dancing Monograph!* Nah, the license fees would kill Chaosium. Given BRP's penchant for the occult, Wizards of Waverley Place the RPG might be a possibility ... but can the system handle situation comedy? =O

*But it would set us up for Cthulhu the Musical:

R'lyeh dreams, burst at the seams

But oh-oh those sta-arry nights!

(Wella, wella, wella)

Oof! Tell me more, tell me more!

Edited by seneschal
add lyrics

Oh yes, the stars will be aligned perfectly then. Next time will be different. Oh yes.

One thing about the Cthulhu Mythos is that when crossed over with any other story or setting it makes the other setting stranger. That's expected.

Yet another thing about the Cthulhu Mythos is that when crossed over with any other story or setting, no matter how tame, it makes the Cthulhu Mythos itself stranger. That's usually not expected.

For consideration (SAN checks apply. And BTW, if we check our SAN do we get to roll to see if it goes up?):

Cthulhu Mythos & Sesame Street

Cthulhu Mythos & Star Wars

Cthulhu Mythos & Glorantha

Cthulhu Mythos & Survivor

Cthulhu Mythos & The Six O'Clock New

Cthulhu Mythos & American Idol.

Edited by Atgxtg
The Stars Were Wrong

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

The Old Ones vs. The Young Ones?

Rick the Anarchist Cultist: "That's just typical! Five minutes before the most important party of my life and the house is destroyed by a giant tentacled polyp."

Vyvyan: "Oh dear. This calls for a very special blend of psychology ... and EXTREME VIOLENCE!"

(Apologies for the Thread Derailment)

Edited by dragonewt

With all this talk of BRP musicals I'd be remiss if I didn't mention A Shoggoth on the Roof.

Just to make sure that people know what you mean ... >:>

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Just to make sure that people know what you mean ... >:>

The fact that there are at least 15-20 such songs on YouTube, enough to do two or three real musicals, is ... disturbing. =O Which, I suppose, is appropriate. ;D

There ... is ... no ... shame!

Edited by seneschal
More songs!

• 3 weeks later...

Well BRP emerged in the pencil and paper era and took off.... I think it ran out of steam when the 80s generation of player from middle school to college had to grow up. I would say it is safe to say many of us are back.

Also I think the survival of BRP is vested in its adaptability and the key thing for it to grow would be supporting generation software and e-tabletop gaming.

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Welcome back.;t)

Why thank you it is good the be back!

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

Reconsideration with what I said earlier. With the e-tabletop gaming software I found such as Fantasy Grounds II and others there is no reason for BRP not to thrive if the is an investment developing resources and accessories ( adventures and such for it).

- Y Gododdin

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

• 1 month later...

I think it's somewhat stagnant.

Here (UK) I see the rulebook, and virtually none of the dedicated BRP monographs.

More than that, I never ever saw , in any of the play by post sites I usually attend saw any of the released 'settings' for it being played. In fact, it's even hard to find a semblance of a review on any of them on a major site like RPG net. The 'setting's published are for the best part seriously niche things that do almost nothing to increase any mainstream knowledge of the game.

BRP needs urgently a solidly developed classic setting. That is, a fantasy or sci-fi setting remineshent of the likes of Traveller of the Forgotten Realms.

The results of that voting on Chaosium's website speak for itself:

Fantasy 1631 / 19 %

Historical 807 / 9 %

Horror 1746 / 20 %

Post Apocalypse 1839 / 21 %

Pulp 774 / 9 %

Science Fiction 1660 / 19 %

Funnily enough there has been a plethora of historical monographs (the least voted), no post-apocalypse settings (the highest voted) and the fantasy or sci-fi settings available are nowhere near the classic appeal of high fantasy D&D settings like FR, or the space opera of Traveller.

Without a major setting and adequate support BRP will never be more than a niche game and as such prone to another period of dissapeareance.

note - Traveller and the Forgotten Realms are just examples of a genre, nothing else.

May I remind you that one item out of that "plethora" of historical settings is running for Product of the Year at Ennies?

Do you really think that putting out yet another Fantasy or Post-apoc supplement could have achieved the same result?

Why not - it worked for the people behind Day After Ragnarok and Goblin Markets, didn't it? I don't have much faith in the ENnies, myself, but one hopes that the quality of the product matters more than what genre it is.

RE: the amount of product available - This is gradually increasing, so I wouldn't say (anymore) that BRP was stagnant. Chaosium is slow at putting our new product due to financial contraints, but not stagnant. The number of available monographs has increased significantly in the past 6 months (including a post-apoc: Rubble and Ruin). Remember, though, that monographs are only available on the chaosium website and are not in general distributiuon. In terms of actual in-store product, they remain very slow, but things are progressing as per Dustin's blog and Chronicles of the Future Earth should be out soon(ish) - another post-apoc/fantasy/sci-fi setting - and also Devil's Gulch.

Cubucle 7 and Alephtar also have books on the way, and this speeds things up a bit.

Personally, I don't mind the slow pace - I already bought more BRP product than I can read for the next 6 months, so I'm happy. I'd rather wait for a quality book than have a mediocre book that was rushed out the door.

More fantasy and sci-fi for BRP would be very welcome. I'm not sure it's ugently needed, but it would be welcome.

But as far as historical, goes, I'm glad BRP and its fans have stepped up to the plate, here. Really, the system and the historical genre are made for each other.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb