How did you do Camlann?

So, after seven years, Camlann is coming up for us, and I want it to be as good as it can be.

When you played through it, what did you think worked well, and what less so? What did you change from the Great Pendragon Campaign? Are there any fun ideas from your playthrough that you were happy with, or any ideas you got afterwards that you wish that you had used?

If you check out the thread I posted (link below) for the end of our (first finishing) campaign, it has some quotes about Camlann in there. I was pretty happy with the way things played out.

https://greathall.chaosium.com/Pendragon Forum Archive/index.php/t-2829.html

I was pretty happy with the final 'Death Ride of Arthur'. Basically, all the surviving PKs getting inspired by the nigh radiant Arthur to charge at Mordred's banner head on. Couple of melee rolls to cut their way to Mordred and his bodyguards, and then fighting until only one PK survived to witness Mordred giving Arthur a mortal wound, while dying on Arthur's blade himself. So that lucky PK got to play Bedevere's part. I was pretty happy about that... although it was a bit cheapened by the fact that the surviving PK was a related-by-marriage French household knight rather than one of the grandsons or something (alas, the player's previous character died in the corridor while trying to arrest Lancelot for treason). But hey, luck of the dice.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 3:54 AM, Baba said:

So, after seven years, Camlann is coming up for us, and I want it to be as good as it can be.

When you played through it, what did you think worked well, and what less so? What did you change from the Great Pendragon Campaign? Are there any fun ideas from your playthrough that you were happy with, or any ideas you got afterwards that you wish that you had used?

Treat it like Ragnarok. Old and fated enemies meet and die in mutually assured destruction.  Passions boil. Ideologies and ambitions clash, and the chivalry of Britain achieves what no outside force could ever manage, its own mindless annihilation.  Perhaps highlight the futility of it all Bhagavad Gita-style with a foreshadowing by a saint or pagan magician, given that Merlin is now entombed and cannot do that narration.  Plenty of nasty deaths need to be described as epitaphs for some great characters.  Make sure to go out with a bang and not a whimper.  Don't do a GoT and phone in the last ep.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1