bonus & penalty dice

Sam E.

Just curious about how folks handle bonus & penalty dice.

From the rules, I see that they are mainly used for opposed rolls, and that a PC with one bonus die and one penalty die cancel each other out and just result in a straight roll.  

What if two PCs are engaged in opposing rolls and both have an advantage of one kind or another?  Would you have both PCs roll with a bonus die, or would you have those dice cancel each other out, and just have both PCs roll straight-up?

Also, do you ever assign bonus or penalty dice to NPCs for whom you (the Keeper) are rolling during an opposed roll (e.g., combat)?  Or do you just shift it over to the PC?  For example, instead of a penalty die for the NPC, give the PC a bonus die instead?

Curious to see how folks handle these sorts of things!

If both players had a bonus die, I would have both roll with a bonus die. Without having looked into the math of it, it would "feel better" for the players. If they have done something to have an advantage, they should feel they get to use it.

In combat, when someone is attacked multiple times, the attack gets a bonus die on subsequent attacks againt that person/entity. So that would be bonus dies for the NPCs if they attack a player.

But if they are to be modifiers depending on the situation, I would probably make the call on what is actually being done, and how things are affected.

If an NPC does something to make an attack stronger, they get a bonus die on the attack.
If a player does something to make it easier to dodge, they get a bonus on dodging.

The die should be applied to the one doing the action, IMO.

But I might change my mind if I think about it more.

• Like 3