Secret identity in Glorantha: How?

AndreJarosch

n.b. skimming the plot precis on the Wikipedia page, I gather these "secret identities" were largely assumed relatively early in life; not (in Gloranthan terms) Orlanthi Windlords and Swords of Humakt, but mere Initiates choosing to infiltrate and pursue their "adult careers" inside the enemy power-structure; waiting for years before exacting their vengence...  Also, the "infiltrator" is really motivated by Passion (Loyalty, Love, Hate, etc), not a Cultic thing (Lightbringer-vs-Lunar, etc).  Is this correct?

Yes, that is absolutely correct. 
Watching the movie the character is so skilled that i thought he HAS TO be more than a mere Initiale. 
But you are right: If i stick with Initiate things are getting easier. 

The big sticking-point, rules-wise, is Illumination.  AFAIK, there simply are no RQG rules for this (pending the GM's book), and (wearing my GM's hat) I find it quite problematic to give starting PC's "special&advanced rule-breaking magic" (i.e. Illumination), rather than having them earn such advanced options in play.  Bribe your GM with a pizza, or something...?

It wasn´t my intention to use this as a starting point for a campaign ("starting PC"). 
It would be good as a set up for a one shot (multiple session, one bid adventure/small campaign) involving experienced PC´s. 

Your comment on incredibly skilled made me go in a tangent. In RQ:G we have some artificial buffing through occupation skill improvement, but I would expect that someone incredibly focused in one or a few skills will not be a rune level, though it could work as a god talker, as it is impossible to dedicate 8-10 hours per day to self improvement / skill practice and follow also cult strictures.

So your chamaleonic infiltrator could use magic and trust it lasts long enough / nobody with active magic sight crosses her path / they do not meet anyone they hate while they use Detect Enemies, etc.. Or they could be skilled at non-magical intrusion and misdirection, and take the role of a normal guy or gal. As long as you stay at initiate level, the risk of magical detection will be low, so no previous illumination, though working for your enemy for years I believe should be a path to illumination and the relativism and multiple points of view required.

I propose most mundane positions of power will be filled by initiates rather than Rune lords, because the Rune levels are too busy with magic and religion to do the mundane administration that keeps human society running.

Maybe they are not the general or the First Spear, but they could be the quartermaster, armorer, furrier or drillmaster that really know everyone and are the best informed in the whole army. 

• Like 1