Pulp Cthulhu to Basic

I have seen a game, called Open D100, with an expansion for heroic fantasy that grant to each PC or NPC double HP.

(basically HP = STR + COS)

I think also Pulp Cthulhu follows this path. (I have read this somewhere in the forum)

I do not own Pulp Cthulhu: are there other mechanics that make the life of the players easier?

Luck points/Fate points?

Something that could be imported into Basic RPG without any adjustments? 

Edited by Giovanni_Cambria

Yes luck point is common (many variation). Because how do you make an PC survives in a world that is excessively deadly?
(because, let's be real 2 normal punch on the head seldom kill anyone, but they do here!)

My favorite kind of luck point is a small pool with big impact, like they do in Mythras or Classic Fantasy

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1

I prefer a bit more HPs (perhaps x2.5 in place of x2 ) ....

I do not like Luck/Fate points because they could mitigate the sense of danger and oppression of certain settings.

They are usually more powerful that simple HPs: they can be used to survive fights, bend luck in lot of different ways (primarily re-roll), invoke 'lucky circumstances' in order to help the PC and so on.

The only mechanic I like, similar to Luck points, are Narrator intrusions and Players intrusions of Cypher system.

Edited by Giovanni_Cambria

On 5/14/2022 at 4:56 AM, Giovanni_Cambria said:

I have seen a game, called Open D100, with an expansion for heroic fantasy that grant to each PC or NPC double HP.

(basically HP = STR + COS)

I think also Pulp Cthulhu follows this path. (I have read this somewhere in the forum)

I do not own Pulp Cthulhu: are there other mechanics that make the life of the players easier?

Luck points/Fate points?

Something that could be imported into Basic RPG without any adjustments? 

Pulp chtulhu is for cthulhu 7e. The system is a bit different (more evolved?) than BRP. You need to understand how CoC mechanics work before you can use it, so i wouldnt buy it as a stand alone unless you have a friend that owns CoC and helps you with the different rules or lends you the book.

CoC rules have:

D100 stats

Different combat system (attack vs fight back or dodge

Penalty and Bonus die (instead of hard and easy skills halving and doubling skill ratings, you just roll two tens d10 (and a single unit d10) and chose the worst/best. This works the same as advantage/disadvantage in DnD only it stacks.

Slightly different success system and skill vs skill.

And of course, cthulhu skills, specializations, SAN etc.

Hope i helped!!

• Like 1

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"