Changes to major cults

Soccercalle

With the release of the Cults Book being postponed due to different reasons. Do anyone with inside information know if there will be any changes to ”major” cults like Orlanth, Ernalda, Storm Bull or Humakt. I have read that Yelmalio will get Shield. But will we see changes in the more common cults that would be good to implement in your campaign before the release?

5 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

know if there will be any changes to ”major” cults like Orlanth, Ernalda, Storm Bull or Humakt.

Depends on what you mean by "changes".  These will be the long form writeups, so will have much more detailed information on myths, the cult in the world, cult organization, subcults, associated cults, and the like.  E.g. Yelmalio gets Shield from his father, Yelm.  Yelm, Ernalda, and Orlanth all have a large number of subcults and associated cults.  But I would not expect to see any significant changes in the core of the cult (e.g. initiate or runemaster requirements, Rune spells for the cult itself).

• Helpful 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Depends on what you mean by "changes".  These will be the long form writeups, so will have much more detailed information on myths, the cult in the world, cult organization, subcults, associated cults, and the like.  E.g. Yelmalio gets Shield from his father, Yelm.  Yelm, Ernalda, and Orlanth all have a large number of subcults and associated cults.  But I would not expect to see any significant changes in the core of the cult (e.g. initiate or runemaster requirements, Rune spells for the cult itself).

Thanks. Its mostly significant changes in rune spells available that interests me. So that PCs spend permanent POW on ”worse” spell than what will soon be availabe.

Edited by Soccercalle

@Soccercalle, I see nothing wrong with allowing players to ret-con their spell selections when the new info comes out. At my table, I'd only hesitate if a player had made a given Rune spell a major part of their play style.... for example, summoning elementals every fight or using Flight every time they got the chance. But other than that, if they want to trade one spell for another it shouldn't be a problem.

You could even make an adventure out of it, with the PCs undergoing rituals with their temples to make the changes instead of just erasing and replacing them on the C-sheet.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

3 hours ago, svensson said:

@Soccercalle, I see nothing wrong with allowing players to ret-con their spell selections when the new info comes out. At my table, I'd only hesitate if a player had made a given Rune spell a major part of their play style.... for example, summoning elementals every fight or using Flight every time they got the chance. But other than that, if they want to trade one spell for another it shouldn't be a problem.

At my tables, I have asked the players if they wish to play "touch move", or "take your fingers off move", or even "take back moves"... to use chess analogies. That way the players can choose the difficulty they wish to play at. It seems t cut down on arguments letting the table rule on how serious mistakes could be. Retconning spells falls a tad outside these guidelines (it falls closes to "take back moves") but, hey, they are guidelines!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

Thanks. Its mostly significant changes in rune spells available that interests me. So that PCs spend permanent POW on ”worse” spell than what will soon be availabe.

An other option than @svensson smart option

if, after you get our so expected precious, you see a frustration among your players, during an adventure, they may enter some other world, past remains or I don’t know and, if they survive the ridiculous challebge, so ridiculous that they see it is ridiculous, and they see that you give them an automatic pow gain with exactly the amount to pay a new spell… if they don’t understand … let they meet Cwim 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

An other option than @svensson smart option

if, after you get our so expected precious, you see a frustration among your players, during an adventure, they may enter some other world, past remains or I don’t know and, if they survive the ridiculous challebge, so ridiculous that they see it is ridiculous, and they see that you give them an automatic pow gain with exactly the amount to pay a new spell… if they don’t understand … let they meet Cwim 

I am often a quite nice fella so I would probably compensate my players. But hopefully in a way that is fun and makes sense. (My players may disagree on the nice part when I run an upcoming scenario I am playing).

• Like 1