Enchantments (without spirits)

Tupper

I've been reading the enchantments section of RQG.  I think I get how they work in general.  You can enchant something with a spell matrix, give it to someone, and then they can use it to cast a spell they couldn't otherwise.  You can enchant something with a magic point enchantment, and use it like a battery to carry around extra magic points.  However, I get a bit confused when it comes to the section "Conditions on enchantments".

I get that one might want to place limitations on who can use your enchantment so that either it's useless to thieves, or it can't be used against friendly targets (so you can give it to someone you don't fully trust).  I get that you could put an area condition on it so that you and your allies could simultaneously use the enchantment.  I even get the link spell condition, which would mean you could link spells and cast them all at once to achieve a lower strike rank.

However the two that I don't get are attack condition and link magic point condition.

For link magic point condition, I don't understand why this is useful.  If I enchant an item with spell matrix and magic point enchantment, doesn't that mean that someone who has the item can use the magic points stored in it, and cast the spell in the matrix?  Why would I want to force them to use the magic points in the item to power the spell?  That's something they can already do, isn't it?

For the attack condition, I think I can see what it's supposed to be for.  It's so I could put a condition on an enchantment on (say) my treasury, and have the enchantment cast an offensive spell on people other than me who come in.  But now I'm confused as to how that works.  With a spell matrix, normally the person using the enchanted item casts the spell.  If a thief breaks into my treasury, who casts the offensive spell?  Would the attack condition only make sense if the enchantment was a binding enchantment (in which case the spirit bound in the item would be the one doing the attacking)?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tupper said:

For the attack condition, I think I can see what it's supposed to be for.  It's so I could put a condition on an enchantment on (say) my treasury, and have the enchantment cast an offensive spell on people other than me who come in.  But now I'm confused as to how that works.  With a spell matrix, normally the person using the enchanted item casts the spell.  If a thief breaks into my treasury, who casts the offensive spell?  Would the attack condition only make sense if the enchantment was a binding enchantment (in which case the spirit bound in the item would be the one doing the attacking)?  

Attack conditions come into play in one of two cases:  a spirit binding enchantment, or an enchantment that includes both a spell and MP matrix.

It would be used to guard places such as a temple, treasury, etc.  

If it is a spirit bound to the enchantment (e.g. a cult spirit at a temple), the attack condition signals when to attack while the target condition signals who to attack (you don't want your temple initiates affected for example).

If the enchantment includes a spell and MP, then the Link conditions come into play.  The attack condition signals it is time to attack, the link conditions trigger the associated spell or stored MP, and the target is who gets attacked.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 8:58 AM, jajagappa said:

Attack conditions come into play in one of two cases:  a spirit binding enchantment, or an enchantment that includes both a spell and MP matrix.

It would be used to guard places such as a temple, treasury, etc.  

If it is a spirit bound to the enchantment (e.g. a cult spirit at a temple), the attack condition signals when to attack while the target condition signals who to attack (you don't want your temple initiates affected for example).

If the enchantment includes a spell and MP, then the Link conditions come into play.  The attack condition signals it is time to attack, the link conditions trigger the associated spell or stored MP, and the target is who gets attacked.

What POW would the spell attack with, the enchanters at the time of the casting? So 18 to 20? 

• Like 1

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

4 minutes ago, icebrand said:

What POW would the spell attack with, the enchanters at the time of the casting? So 18 to 20? 

If you want an attack spell that requires POW, instead of combining a spell and MP matrix, combine the spell with a spirit binding matrix (assuming the spirit doesn't know the spell directly).  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tupper said:

Seems like attack condition is mostly for spirit binding (for fighting in absentia) and link magic point condition is for use with attack condition when you aren't spirit binding.

I think those are the most logical situations for their use.