BRP Interplanetary

Jason D

I'm delighted to report that Chaosium have settled all issues with me, and I'm going to be back to work on Interplanetary this very evening.

Good luck with Interplanetary. I intend to buy a copy when it is published.:):thumb:

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

• 1 month later...

Jason, any news on how your monograph is developing? Are you close to finishing it yet?

It's not a monograph. It'll be a full product with editing, art, layout, and cover provided by Chaosium, etc.

I'm not as close to done as I'd like, but it's chugging along.

It's not a monograph. It'll be a full product with editing, art, layout, and cover provided by Chaosium, etc.

Do you set smaller, ongoing (and so fluid) deadlines or milestones of how far you'd like to be into a book at any time?

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

Whoops! Sorry about that:o. I've got monographs on the brain, seeing as there is an explosion of them surging up the product pipeline. I'll have to drink more camomile and relax after visiting the BRP Central home page.

Though I can't wait to see a copy in my friendly local game shop, I have the time to save some pennies for when it is published.:)

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Though I can't wait to see a copy in my friendly local game shop...

Which reminds me - that single copy of BRP looked awfully lonely on my FLGS's shelf, on it's own amongst the many dark-spined sets of books from other publishers.

Can anyone tell me again why Chaosium don't just send out a handful of related monographs with each one, to keep it company...?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Do you set smaller, ongoing (and so fluid) deadlines or milestones of how far you'd like to be into a book at any time?

I usually set deadlines (word count), but since I began writing this, I've suffered through a layoff, a job search, a back injury, a new job, a car breakdown, buying a new car, a lingering and difficult death in the family and its aftereffects, two major family holidays, a prolonged visit from out-of-town relatives, and a prolonged period of non-communication from Chaosium.

So the schedule went sort of out the window.

Can anyone tell me again why Chaosium don't just send out a handful of related monographs with each one, to keep it company...?

I think Chaosium recognizes that the quality of the monographs is uneven (no disrespect intended to the authors and artists who work on them). As Chaosium states clearly on their site and on the monographs themselves, they're not edited by Chaosium, nor do they receive artwork or layout from Chaosium.

I suspect it's simply a case of Chaosium not wanting to send material into the retail chain that isn't at their standard production quality.

I think Chaosium recognizes that the quality of the monographs is uneven (no disrespect intended to the authors and artists who work on them). As Chaosium states clearly on their site and on the monographs themselves, they're not edited by Chaosium, nor do they receive artwork or layout from Chaosium.

I suspect it's simply a case of Chaosium not wanting to send material into the retail chain that isn't at their standard production quality.

Which kind of makes sense, but on the other hand the monographs do clearly say on them what they are, that is: independently produced works with editing and production done by the author. As long as thats clearly stated it's upto the buyer if they want to fork out the money. You pays your money and takes your chances....

For the record though I've bought several monographs so far: Ashes to Ashes and a couple of CoC ones ( I have Outpost 19 and Aces High being shipped as we speak ) so far I haven't felt the quality has been an issue, indeed one of the CoC monographs ( first book of things ) was very good in my opinion.

Which kind of makes sense, but on the other hand the monographs do clearly say on them what they are, that is: independently produced works with editing and production done by the author. As long as thats clearly stated it's upto the buyer if they want to fork out the money. You pays your money and takes your chances....

All valid points. And of course Sherlock Holmes* wrote monographs on various esoteric topics so the authors are in good company.

My concern on the Monograph strategy is how much it costs to get the damned things shipped from the States. And I hates PDFs (yes my precious) and wants lovely paper in my hands so epublishing doesn't really do it for me either. But I guess that goes into the catch-22** situation. Until Chaosium have sufficient market penetration that they can afford to lose a proportion of revenue to stores/distributors they have to sell direct and hope that market base will pay the shipping costs and until they are able to write off a proportion of revenue to stores/distributors they won't get market penetration. But if they do write off proportion of revenue then they risk get burned again and finally dying as a company. I vote that they form a business partnership with a big player, oh I dunno someone like Avalon Hill maybe? (ducks and runs for cover)

Al

* waddya mean he's not real? Next you'll be questioning the validity of Baritsu and Doyle's lumping together of Nihilism, Anarchism and other schools of thought. Good God man.

** no, no, not that catch-22 this one I am lazily refering to as a catch-22

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

That’s no excuse, they are making thousands of dollars out of each of these. They are relying on the good will of loyal customers and writers who basically write for free or damn close to it. They are supposed to be a business not a fucking charity, which is the way they act.

Edited by sumtara

That’s is no excuse, they are making thousands of dollars out of each these. They are relying on the good will of loyal customers and writers who basically write for free or damn close to it. They are supposed to be a business not a fucking charity, which is the way they act.

I humbly suggest a new thread called Chaosium Monographs or something like that.

I humbly suggest a new thread called Chaosium Monographs or something like that.

In fact I've started it and am relying on the mods to work their pixie magic and transfer the (ir)relevant posts across

Al

Any ETA on when Interplanetary might be published, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind you asking, but I have no idea.

Between me turning in the manuscript (which hasn't happened), it's got to go through editing, any additional writing or rewriting, proofing.

This ends the point where I have any control or influence on the process.

At the same time, art must be solicited, created, and approved. Layout then happens. Then there's a final wave of proofing/editing.

Then a printer proof. Then it goes to the printer. Then it comes back from the printer, and arrives at Chaosium's warehouse.

So there's no way to say, really.

So could we ask for you to post WHEN it has been turned in? That way we can pester Chaosium with unanswerable queries at the appropriate time :)

Seriously (sort of) though there are two bits of string here (at least) once we know how long Jason's bit is then we can worry about Chaosiums. Until then its a parametric equation with insufficient data available to solve.

Al

• 2 months later...

Are you finding this writing process much different than the BRP book which in many ways was about distillation of mechanics rather than developing a coherent world-view?

My apologies for the delay in replying.

So far, it's been not much different from many prior projects I've done for BRP and other games. There are plenty of mechanics issues (new character oprions, fencing, ship combat, new powers, etc.) and background aplenty for the different planets and the sample campaign.

The only thing that I'm finding a bit of a challenge is that they're being developed in tandem, so eventually during the polish phase I'm going to have to go back and integrate the setting into the system material more thoroughly (through examples, etc.) and ensure that the setting material is completely in compliance with the mechanical stuff.

I should also note that though my recent months have been waylaid by an overwhelming work schedule and a move, I am back at work on Interplanetary with a vengeance.

Since rising a few hours ago, I've added to the chapter on gamemastering in the interplanetary adventure genre (a section on handling the mix of high-tech and medieval weaponry), and written up two new mutations ("Conjoined" and "Hollow").

I'd like to thank my playtesters publicly for the assistance on the fencing system, and will be sending another draft out within the next few days if all goes as planned.

Interplanetary is still sitting on top of my 'most anticpated' list...

Last weekend I was reading a crappy adventure book, The Descent, and even though it sucked... the fact that it was about a lost culture lurking in the bowels of the Earth plucked at my ERB heartstrings.

Unfortunately there was no fencing in the book... maybe that was part of why it disappointed so.

Interplanetary is still sitting on top of my 'most anticpated' list...

Thanks!

Last weekend I was reading a crappy adventure book, The Descent, and even though it sucked... the fact that it was about a lost culture lurking in the bowels of the Earth plucked at my ERB heartstrings.

You know, if I had the time and effort to spare, I'd love to write a "Lost World" monograph for BRP.

Unfortunately there was no fencing in the book... maybe that was part of why it disappointed so.

I certainly hope that the system meets your expectations!