Sad news for RQG spanish edition fans

albesias

EDGE, spanish publisher in charge of RQG has stated that it won’t publish the Glorantha bestiary due to economic reasons. The company has reported that it will not relinquish or transfer the license to a third party.

Spanish-speaking fans are deeply disappointed. We have been waiting for this release since late 2020.

In my opinion, EDGE’s publication policy is causing serious damage to the IP. Runequest and Glorantha’s spanish-speaking community is large, loyal and with a tradition that goes back to the late 80s.

RQG deserves a more appropriate treatment due to the love with which it has been conceived and the effort and dedication on the part of Chaosium and  the Jonstown compendium fans’ community.

• Helpful 1
  • Sad 13

Ok, I freely admit that everything I know about copywrite law and licensing of an IP can be written on a matchbook in crayon but isn't this a violation of the licensing agreement?

Isn't someone who agrees to X property in Y language supposed to publish the whole property in good faith?

33 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

I am sorry to say that, but EDGE belongs to the Asmodee Group, and they aren´t a fellew publisher of the hobby industry, but just a money making machine. 
If their calulations say, that it doesn´t make enough money they will not publish it. 

Which is an economically sound behavior for them, but bad news for us in the short term (in the long term, bad economical decisions make the company crash, so are bad for everybody).

This post comes from the chat about TTRPGs news at Games On online convention with some representatives from Edge Entertaiment.

They didnt speak about RuneQuest, but they replied to a message in the chat:

Translation (more or less):

Question: when is the Glorantha Bestiary planned for release?

Answer (from Edge Entertainment): in this case, sadly the numbers simply do not add up. Soon we will inform you on the forum or social networks

It is open to interpretation, but I fear, they will announce they will be not releasing any more titles for RQ.

Also, note that the presence of Edge in their own forums is sporadic, they do not usually interact with users and frequently they let spammers to send their stuff, leaving messages there for weeks. As a proof, currently in the RQ forums the first post is a spam message.

I'd honestly wish Chaosium IP's local publishers have a clause concerning minimum yearly releases to retain the license.

I think currently Edge owns the license for 5 more years.

índice.jpeg

• Like 1

I once bought Edge's Hero Wars in spanish...

Man that was the worst translation since ad&d's and "arco-x" y "cerrojo de relámpagos" lol.

If all their books are like that they kind of deserve to be dropped by chaosium, they just dont have enough quality.

Edited by icebrand
  • Sad 2

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

50 minutes ago, icebrand said:

I once bought Edge's Hero Wars in spanish...

Man that was the worst translation since ad&d's and "arco-x" y "cerrojo de relámpagos" lol.

If all their books are like that they kind of deserve to be dropped by chaosium, they just dont have enough quality.

Nope, current releases from RQ have great quality, imho, RQG is an outstanding stuff, translation is also ok

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On 6/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

Terribly sad to hear. RQ needs and deserves to be in other languages.
This needs to rectified, have you thought of getting a group together and putting in a bid for the rights yourself?

Then Gofundme or Kickstarter et al.

I hope someone with experience in publishing can pick it up

• Like 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/