Multiculting in Glorantha

Ironwall

7 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The secret lore of the cult is only part of the skill Cult Lore, as far as I am concerned.

Also, a lot of rote knowledge becomes loaded with secret by the initiatory experience.

That would make sense ... but not RAW (as far as it reads).

21 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Being a Novice is a very religious (Christian) term anyway, which seems to suit the idea, and probably at the point I'm thinking - the early part of the training. (although, in our RL terms, it would be full-time occupation)

Stray thought from the middle of the night...

One could maybe apply some of the RQ 2nd Ed rules applicable to initiates to this "between lay and full initiate" stage.

I'm thinking, mostly, the ONE USE RUNESPELL -- Sacrificing POW gets one the spell, but does NOT get one renewable RP nor a pool of points usable for the "commonly known" spells (that is, even the common spells would be one use, and require a POW sacrifice specifically for each spell).

Something else I think needs to be said here.

Cults are not trying to make every single Initiate a Rune Level.

For one thing, 99% of Initiates simply don't have the talent or ambition to become a Rune Level no matter what the benefits might be. Their ambitions are more homely and realistic than the average adventurer type. They want to inherit the steading or master their craft, marry well, have and raise healthy children. These initiates don't want a life full of blood, danger and risk that is required to gain the skills to become Rune Level in almost every cult out there. And not just warrior cults. either... Even Ernalda Earth Mothers have to leave the confines of their temple, travel, learn, and, yes, get into conflict of some form [be it warfare, politics, theological, whatever] if they want to progress and get 'ordained' with the full confidence and trust of their hierarchy.

Being an Initiate of two faiths isn't a lack of faith in one or the other cult, provided those two cults are complimentary. I don't see a blessed barking thing wrong with a Heortling belonging to two Lightbringer cults, for example. I can see real use for someone who has advanced skills in both Chalanna Arroy and Lhankor Mhy, as unlikely as that is. It would take a highly talented 'adventurer type' person to even aspire to such a thing, and such a person would be of great value to a community.

It is when those faiths are NOT complimentary that the referee has to step in. Because Yelm represents Fire [he owns the Rune], a Yelmalion will respect a Yelmite, but cannot be one. It is for this reason [along with cultural issues] that the Grazelanders and Sun Counties of Dragon Pass are not more allied than they are.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 4