Ruh-roh ...

Sam E.

I had the silly idea of breaking up all the serious scenarios of the typical CoC campaign with a light-hearted one-off, something in the style of Scooby-Doo.  🙂 Per the usual plot, it would turn out that the supposedly supernatural horror was really just Old Man Smith trying to buy the theme park at a discount, or whatever the heck S-D villains are up to these days.  

Thoughts about how to handle mechanics?  Combat would likely be minimal and fairly harmless.  Lots of chases, for sure.  Very low-stakes Sanity rolls, never enough SAN loss to trigger insanity, maybe just a single point of loss here and there to prompt an involuntary reaction (for example, yelling "Zoinks!").

Any other pointers?

• Like 1

Maybe go with San loss, but allow it to be cured with huge sandwiches, Scooby snacks, etc.

Velma types definitely lose thier glasses if they lose 5 San but fails thier Int roll. 

Fainting would be great for Bouts of madness. 

Chases definitely have some weird physics in where doors lead, etc.

For combat I would mostly use the knockout rule, and Maneuvers. 

Edited by Grimmshade
  • Like 3

On 6/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, Darius West said:

Oh it's all too late for them, don't you see?  They all believe their great dane can talk FFS.  SAN?  What SAN?

Maybe Scooby Doo dog is like the Parrot out of Terry Pratchett's "Eric" - which Pratchett wrote after I met him at a book signing when I was a teenager. Most embarrassing... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The introduction page for the first Blood Brothers book has a different take on the sanity system for the scenarios presented in that book. You could use that for your scenarios, though finding a physical edition that doesn't cost to much might be tough since it was published in 1990 for the 4th edition. But the PDF for it is available on Chaosium's store page.

Edited by The Ancient One
  • Like 2

On 6/5/2022 at 9:03 PM, Darius West said:

They all believe their great dane can talk FFS.  SAN?  What SAN?

That’s the ganja and mushrooms they’re all tripping on.  Everything was all good until they got a really strong strain of Pineapple Kush that someone had laced with phencyclidine and then Scrappy-Doo appeared and would not go away.

As for the concept of turning CoC into a humorous game of false horror, I think it has merit but I’d use an appropriate list of Pulp-like talents and archetypes as well as some appropriate version of Weird Science (Trippy Metaknowledge?) that allows the characters to figure out the mystery even though the clues are ridiculously ambiguous. 

On 6/5/2022 at 9:06 PM, TheophilusCarter said:

I had the silly idea of breaking up all the serious scenarios of the typical CoC campaign with a light-hearted one-off, something in the style of Scooby-Doo.  🙂 Per the usual plot, it would turn out that the supposedly supernatural horror was really just Old Man Smith trying to buy the theme park at a discount, or whatever the heck S-D villains are up to these days.  

I have thought, for a long time, that CoC scenarios and Scooby Doo adventurer are very similar, in many ways.

The difference is:

• The Scooby Doo gang don't suffer from long-term madness from their adventures
  • People are monsters
  • Every adventure can be solved

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

17 hours ago, kolponomos said:

Everything was all good until they got a really strong strain of Pineapple Kush that someone had laced with phencyclidine and then Scrappy-Doo appeared and would not go away.

But drugs wear off...  

we need to face the fact that Scrappy-Doo was the shark that Scooby jumped.

On 6/5/2022 at 9:06 PM, TheophilusCarter said:

Thoughts about how to handle mechanics?  Combat would likely be minimal and fairly harmless.  Lots of chases, for sure.  Very low-stakes Sanity rolls, never enough SAN loss to trigger insanity, maybe just a single point of loss here and there to prompt an involuntary reaction (for example, yelling "Zoinks!").

Any other pointers?

I've run quite a few Scooby Do CoC games. The core premise was that the monsters always had some human behind them.

I used Blood Brothers vol 1 & 2 for a few of them. Scrappy Do is never mentioned or appears.

6 hours ago, soltakss said:
  • The Scooby Doo gang don't suffer from long-term madness from their adventures
  • People are monsters
  • Every adventure can be solved

This works very well.

I have the group as standees from a really bad game bought from a 99p shop:

Front.thumb.jpg.edd76a7793c391bbee3ec05ae6648bdd.jpgBack.thumb.jpg.def5cdc2da13307ade0f6209c9ba59ff.jpg

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/