Roll20 Runequest?

GothmogIV

There's already a RuneQuest: Glorantha character sheet, so there's no reason not to play it right now. I haven't yet, because I'm running 13th Age Glorantha right now. I make tokens & maps from the RQ:G PDFs I own using TokenTool 2. I made Glorantha runes for Token Marker upload already, you can find them on this site. The top-down tokens available on Jonstown Compendium are excellent too. 

I recall that one of the players in my 13th Age Glorantha game is running RQ:G right now too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GothmogIV said:

Any plans to get Runequest up on Roll20? Amazing game, but I can only play online (middle aged dude playing with other middle aged dudes). Please tell me this in the works? 

I’ve only played RQG via Roll20 since emerging from the RPG ‘deep freeze’ last year.  There’s no Chaosium VTT support for RQG (yet) but the character sheet is very good - I’ve been running a campaign on Roll20 for over a year and it works well.  There are lots of great maps and tokens available on Roll20 MarketPlace and some Glorantha specific tokens from Dario Corallo on DT.  

There is an RQG character sheet on Foundry but, last time I looked, it was pretty basic.  There is a seemingly quite comprehensive RQG implementation coming on Fantasy Grounds (see @MadBeardMan on Twitter) but I’m not sure whether Chaosium is involved.

Hope this helps.

I'm curious why Chaosium appears to be silent on the Fantasy Grounds VTT as it seems to be the most advanced (or most public!). Perhaps I missed the memo. From the Twitter posts the implementation looks to be quite thorough but I'm not clear whether it's "official" or a fan version, like the Roll20 RQG character sheet.

3 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

I'm curious why Chaosium appears to be silent on the Fantasy Grounds VTT as it seems to be the most advanced (or most public!). Perhaps I missed the memo. From the Twitter posts the implementation looks to be quite thorough but I'm not clear whether it's "official" or a fan version, like the Roll20 RQG character sheet.

Smiteworks (licensee) handles all the Fantasy Grounds development for Chaosium ttrpgs themselves. We are not involved, other than approval of the finished title. (Chaosium's arrangement for Foundry is different, which is why we've appointed a VTT developer for Foundry ourselves.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MOB said:

Smiteworks (licensee) handles all the Fantasy Grounds development for Chaosium ttrpgs themselves

(Chaosium's arrangement for Foundry is different, which is why we've appointed a VTT developer for Foundry ourselves.)

Is there an "official" Chaosium initiative under way for Roll20?  Possibly "adopting" (or licensing or whatever) the notable fan-made (afaik) sheet there?

Or Astral?

Or any other VTT platforms?

Even if all you can say about them is "in development, but still confidential" or "in negotiation, but no further comment until negotiation is complete" or the like, it'd still be nice to know where RQG is (and/or isn't) being actively pursued & supported by Chaosium...

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 hours ago, g33k said:

Is there an "official" Chaosium initiative under way for Roll20?  Possibly "adopting" (or licensing or whatever) the notable fan-made (afaik) sheet there?

Or Astral?

Or any other VTT platforms?

Even if all you can say about them is "in development, but still confidential" or "in negotiation, but no further comment until negotiation is complete" or the like, it'd still be nice to know where RQG is (and/or isn't) being actively pursued & supported by Chaosium...

When we have stuff to announce about other VTT developments we'll announce them. 

(btw as I understand it, Astral is for all intents and purposes defunct)

• Helpful 1

22 hours ago, MOB said:

When we have stuff to announce about other VTT developments we'll announce them. 

(btw as I understand it, Astral is for all intents and purposes defunct)

MOB, can you at least give us a hint about which VTT platform(s) Chaosium may be developing product for? I only use Roll20, so naturally I'd like to see more stuff there. Throw me a bone, dude! (and thanks!) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GothmogIV said:

MOB, can you at least give us a hint about which VTT platform(s) Chaosium may be developing product for? I only use Roll20, so naturally I'd like to see more stuff there. Throw me a bone, dude! (and thanks!) 

Roll20 and Foundry. As noted above, Smiteworks does their own development for Fantasy Grounds.

• Like 5

There are several games I know of that already run on Roll20. I have just started one over there (just did our session 0). While it does not have the level of support that say 5E does the character sheet is great and you can easily pull in portions of a PDF to make a quick and dirty map just to run a scenario. What are you looking for in particular to be comfortable running over there?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PMR said:

What are you looking for in particular to be comfortable running over there?

• The RuneQuest Quickstart (similar to the Call of Cthulhu Quickstart)
  • The RuneQuest Starter Set including
    • Pregen Character Sheets
    • prepared NPC sheets for all NPCs from the included adventures (grouped by adventures)
    • Tokens for the Pregen Characters and all NPCs (the latter grouped by adventures)
    • VTT maps for the included adventures
    • Spell descriptions for Pregen Character Rune and Spirit magic
    • Rule and adventure descriptions in the Journal part
  • A Compendium for the RuneQuest:Roleplaying in Glorantha rules
  • A Compendium for the RuneQuest:Roleplaying in Glorantha occupations
  • A Compendium for the RuneQuest:Roleplaying in Glorantha cults
  • A Compendium for the Family History
  • A Compendium for the Glorantha Bestiary
  • A Compendium for the Red Book of Magic
  • A Compendium for Weapons and Equipment
  • The Gamemaster Screen Pack
  • Pegasus Plateau
  • Smoking Ruins and other Stories
  • VTT version of published maps

Yes, I can use Roll20 without all of this, but it would be great to see the same support for RuneQuest:Roleplaying in Glorantha similar to the already existing support for Call of Cthulhu.

Edited by Oracle
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am very heartened to hear that Chaosium will be supporting RuneQuest on Roll20 and Foundry VTT. Due to my remote location in the desert Southwest, VTT is my only practical option for GMing this wonderfully rich game. However, up to now I've been reluctant to attempt online play without official Chaosium support. I will be absolutely all-in on the VTT support as soon as it becomes available for either of these VTT platforms (I use and like them both). It will probably also incentivize me to purchase the entire line of fine RQ: Glorantha hardback books, too, as well as many of the Jonstown Compendium offerings. I think this is going to be very good for the game's future prospects, with the potential to expand its player base immensely.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 6/10/2022 at 12:55 AM, MOB said:

Roll20 and Foundry. As noted above, Smiteworks does their own development for Fantasy Grounds.

Is there anything you can share about progress on Roll20 for RuneQuest? It is lovely to see the official Pendragon 6e character sheet is already available.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

14 hours ago, Narsir said:

Anything new about RuneQuest implementation upon Foundry please?

From the channel recommended by @David Scott above, this message and some adjacent messages have some info: https://discord.com/channels/170995199584108546/751202546512691331/1092474899844567050

I understand the alpha may have been demo'd at ChaosiumCon although I haven't seen any write-ups about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

I understand the alpha may have been demo'd at ChaosiumCon although I haven't seen any write-ups about it.

Oh, I playtested that with Moonpile a week or so before ChaosiumCon, and everything went smoothly.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 8:04 AM, RandomNumber said:

I was in one of the sessions it was a lot of fun - one of the better sessions in a Con full of great sessions. Foundry looked very nice and the system worked great for me, though one of the players had some hiccups connecting. I'm not sure the connection issue had anything to do with the Foundry application though. 

• Like 2

🤔 I like a good rant as much as the next person, but I've used punch cards. Even on a bad day, Roll20 is faster and generates fewer errors that I got with my coding. And free is the price point a lot of people prefer. I've been using Roll20 as a player and as a GM for quite a while now. For me, the switching cost for learning a new system is pretty high. When I factor in having to teach my players a new system, I would need a significant improvement and I don't want to devote the time it would take for me to test drive other systems long enough to really see how they compare. It's off topic here, but I am curious what you dislike and what you prefer and why.

Is it worth starting a different thread to discuss the pros and cons of different online tabletops?

• Like 1