Jump to content

A New Generic Fantasy System?


Recommended Posts

I picked up Magic World and Advanced Sorcery on special and really like them. Perfect for Low Fantasy/ S and S/ gaming which is more and more my jam. (As much as I respect 5E I find the billion sub classes and levels too min/max for mine)

I am guessing it was let go because one smallish company needs to focus, not spread too itself too thin when it has lines such as Glorantha and Cthulhu to do properly. Which it has. The quality has been outrageously good in the last couple of years. 

Are there plans to rework MW? The name was rubbish and some of the production wasnt as good as it should have been but the bones were great. 

As much as I love RQ and its setting, id love to see something more REHoward and Moorcock coming through

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Phocaea said:

I picked up Magic World and Advanced Sorcery on special and really like them. Perfect for Low Fantasy/ S and S/ gaming which is more and more my jam. (As much as I respect 5E I find the billion sub classes and levels too min/max for mine)

I am guessing it was let go because one smallish company needs to focus, not spread too itself too thin when it has lines such as Glorantha and Cthulhu to do properly. Which it has. The quality has been outrageously good in the last couple of years. 

Are there plans to rework MW? The name was rubbish and some of the production wasnt as good as it should have been but the bones were great. 

As much as I love RQ and its setting, id love to see something more REHoward and Moorcock coming through

MW is basically the Moorcock game with all the Eternal-Champion IP stripped out.
Unfortunately, MW never demonstrated strong sales numbers.

Chaosium has reported that their strong opinion -- based on all their products' sales, ever -- is that relatively-generic products don't sell very well, but products with a strong setting and brand-identity do.

I don't believe they currently have any plans to update MW and give it the "modern" Chaosium treatment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mythras and the Monster Island supplement will get you a good foundation for a S&S campaign. Mythras is pretty easy to cut down and also borrow any bits you need from other RQ/BRP editions & supplements as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chaosium has the sales info but I'm not agree with their opinion about "generic" products. IMO generic has lots of blends and a some people works in the blend level better than setting level. I'm into Chaosium new releases. Love reading how they fit system and settings and get surprised by differents mechanics for brp that I've never would imagine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I think that RQG is the best setting-based fantasy RPG but I think that Mythras is the best setting-neutral system. It is also quite easy to tailor to a specific setting. You can for example decide to not use all schools of magic. You can also choose to take away more advanced fighting rules and add things like Passions from RQG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You never know, but Chaosium has said multiple times that they are not keen to publishing a new generic BRP game/ a successor to Magic World.

The would do a new edition of Stormbringer if they got the license back, though. And they are doing two new BRP games: 'Lords of the Middle Sea', a post-apocalyptic dieselpunk, which looks like an evolution of the BGB rules, with influences from RQG and urban fantasy 'Rivers of London' - evolved from CoC7. They will also publish at some point a new edition of 'Mythic Iceland' - influenced by RQG. Finally, they might even reprint the old Worlds of Wonders box as a classic reprint.   

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

No need -- they're already there in Mythras.  One of several OGL gifts that keeps on giving.

Mythras is not OGL.

 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2022 at 1:40 AM, albesias said:

... but I'm not agree with their opinion about "generic" products ...

GURPS is still chugging along.  Fate, PbtA/*World, Savage Worlds, Cortex, etc... all of these are varying degrees of "generic" (here in Chaosiumland, we also have HQ/QW (for those whose tastes run more narrative/Lawsian)... but it too doesn't do as well).

In the BRP realm, plenty of folk like the BGB, or MW, etc -- I certainly do! -- but evidently (based upon the sales numbers!) not enough.

An opinion like mine or yours is... well, not "wrong" precisely; but our opinions are only valid for us, not for gamers broadly, or the market as a whole.  They have zero relevance for what Chaosium "should" do with the product.  The (few) who feel as we do aren't enough to sustain the product-line.

It's interesting that the moderately-generic (and BPR-derived) Mythras has served TDM well as the core of a strong line.

Edited by g33k
hq/qw
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, g33k said:

It's interesting that the moderately-generic (and BPR-derived) Mythras has served TDM well as the core of a strong line.

I wonder how Mythras and TDM sales compare with MW and Chaosium sales.

My feeling is that TDM is much smaller than Chaosium, and a that a game that is a commercial failure for one can be a huge success for the other.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We learned only an hour ago that Free League's new edition of the first (and in its time, huge) Nordic "generic fantasy RPG" Drakar och Demoner (originally a licensed translation of Magic World) will be translated into English as well. I have very high hopes for this - Free League know their stuff!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/drakar-och-demoner-dragonbaneKan vara en bild av bok och text där det står ”FREE LEAGUE DRAGONBANE 055 や + M HBBR MIRTH &G & MAYHEM ROLEPLAYING”

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mugen said:

I wonder how Mythras and TDM sales compare with MW and Chaosium sales.

My feeling is that TDM is much smaller than Chaosium, and a that a game that is a commercial failure for one can be a huge success for the other.

Overall I think TDM is smaller, sure; having neither CoC nor RQ in the stable; that alone almost guarantees "smaller."   But they are much more alike in size, I think, than either one is to The Worlds Most Popular 800lb Gorilla; I suspect they are similar to one another in terms of what's viable and what's not.

I'm noticing in particular that Mythras has:

  • several original settings (Thennla, After the Vampire Wars, Destined (supers), Worlds United, Fioracitta) 
  • a couple of licensed settings (Luther Arkwright, Lyonesse)
  • several Mythic-Earth settings (Mythic Britain (itself a multi-title line), Rome, Babylon, Constantinople, and more on the way)
  • several licensees, including Frostbyte (whose M-Space itself has 2 different settings (Weaver & Elevation)) plus another RPG, Odd Soot

By some standards, Mythras is arguably a "more-robust" product-line than Chaosium's BRP is (depending as it does on "just" CoC & RQ) -- I'm looking forward to LotMS & RoL, and 2e of MI !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

We learned only an hour ago that Free League's new edition of the first (and in its time, huge) "generic fantasy RPG" Drakar och Demoner (originally a licensed translation of Magic World) will be translated into English as well. I have very high hopes for this - Free League know their stuff!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/drakar-och-demoner-dragonbane

Do we know if they'll be doing this with a BRP engine, or related?
IIRC, the Drakar och Demoner products had moved away from it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, g33k said:

Do we know if they'll be doing this with a BRP engine, or related?
IIRC, the Drakar och Demoner products had moved away from it...

It’s BRP with a D20 (like Pendragon in that respect). We know it’s losing SIZ as a stat, though.

The D20 took over in Swedish BRP design in 1985. 🙂

Edited by Akhôrahil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

It’s BRP with a D20 (like Pendragon in that respect). We know it’s losing SIZ as a stat, though.

buh.
I expect I'll pass.  I hope others get what they want from it... Free League should do it right.

Edited by g33k
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

It’s BRP with a D20 (like Pendragon in that respect). We know it’s losing SIZ as a stat, though.

The D20 took over in Swedish BRP design in 1985. 🙂

First edition DoD had a d100. Also, the retro edition recently done by Riotminds was d100.

Did Free League say anything about the system of the upcoming version?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, smiorgan said:

First edition DoD had a d100. Also, the retro edition recently done by Riotminds was d100.

Did Free League say anything about the system of the upcoming version?

Very few details yet - I expect we will get a lot more info after it’s demo’ed at the Medieval Week festival in Visby soon.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2022 at 9:54 AM, Soccercalle said:

I think that RQG is the best setting-based fantasy RPG but I think that Mythras is the best setting-neutral system. It is also quite easy to tailor to a specific setting. You can for example decide to not use all schools of magic. You can also choose to take away more advanced fighting rules and add things like Passions from RQG.

Mythras already has "passions".  There is no need to add them.

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...