A New Generic Fantasy System?

Phocaea

I picked up Magic World and Advanced Sorcery on special and really like them. Perfect for Low Fantasy/ S and S/ gaming which is more and more my jam. (As much as I respect 5E I find the billion sub classes and levels too min/max for mine)

I am guessing it was let go because one smallish company needs to focus, not spread too itself too thin when it has lines such as Glorantha and Cthulhu to do properly. Which it has. The quality has been outrageously good in the last couple of years. 

Are there plans to rework MW? The name was rubbish and some of the production wasnt as good as it should have been but the bones were great. 

As much as I love RQ and its setting, id love to see something more REHoward and Moorcock coming through

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Phocaea said:

I picked up Magic World and Advanced Sorcery on special and really like them. Perfect for Low Fantasy/ S and S/ gaming which is more and more my jam. (As much as I respect 5E I find the billion sub classes and levels too min/max for mine)

I am guessing it was let go because one smallish company needs to focus, not spread too itself too thin when it has lines such as Glorantha and Cthulhu to do properly. Which it has. The quality has been outrageously good in the last couple of years. 

Are there plans to rework MW? The name was rubbish and some of the production wasnt as good as it should have been but the bones were great. 

As much as I love RQ and its setting, id love to see something more REHoward and Moorcock coming through

MW is basically the Moorcock game with all the Eternal-Champion IP stripped out.
Unfortunately, MW never demonstrated strong sales numbers.

Chaosium has reported that their strong opinion -- based on all their products' sales, ever -- is that relatively-generic products don't sell very well, but products with a strong setting and brand-identity do.

I don't believe they currently have any plans to update MW and give it the "modern" Chaosium treatment.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Chaosium has the sales info but I'm not agree with their opinion about "generic" products. IMO generic has lots of blends and a some people works in the blend level better than setting level. I'm into Chaosium new releases. Love reading how they fit system and settings and get surprised by differents mechanics for brp that I've never would imagine.

• 1 month later...

I think that RQG is the best setting-based fantasy RPG but I think that Mythras is the best setting-neutral system. It is also quite easy to tailor to a specific setting. You can for example decide to not use all schools of magic. You can also choose to take away more advanced fighting rules and add things like Passions from RQG.

Guest Vile Traveller
15 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

No need -- they're already there in Mythras.  One of several OGL gifts that keeps on giving.

OGL?

You never know, but Chaosium has said multiple times that they are not keen to publishing a new generic BRP game/ a successor to Magic World.

The would do a new edition of Stormbringer if they got the license back, though. And they are doing two new BRP games: 'Lords of the Middle Sea', a post-apocalyptic dieselpunk, which looks like an evolution of the BGB rules, with influences from RQG and urban fantasy 'Rivers of London' - evolved from CoC7. They will also publish at some point a new edition of 'Mythic Iceland' - influenced by RQG. Finally, they might even reprint the old Worlds of Wonders box as a classic reprint.   

21 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

No need -- they're already there in Mythras.  One of several OGL gifts that keeps on giving.

Mythras is not OGL.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 6/9/2022 at 1:40 AM, albesias said:

... but I'm not agree with their opinion about "generic" products ...

GURPS is still chugging along.  Fate, PbtA/*World, Savage Worlds, Cortex, etc... all of these are varying degrees of "generic" (here in Chaosiumland, we also have HQ/QW (for those whose tastes run more narrative/Lawsian)... but it too doesn't do as well).

In the BRP realm, plenty of folk like the BGB, or MW, etc -- I certainly do! -- but evidently (based upon the sales numbers!) not enough.

An opinion like mine or yours is... well, not "wrong" precisely; but our opinions are only valid for us, not for gamers broadly, or the market as a whole.  They have zero relevance for what Chaosium "should" do with the product.  The (few) who feel as we do aren't enough to sustain the product-line.

It's interesting that the moderately-generic (and BPR-derived) Mythras has served TDM well as the core of a strong line.

Edited by g33k
hq/qw

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, g33k said:

It's interesting that the moderately-generic (and BPR-derived) Mythras has served TDM well as the core of a strong line.

I wonder how Mythras and TDM sales compare with MW and Chaosium sales.

My feeling is that TDM is much smaller than Chaosium, and a that a game that is a commercial failure for one can be a huge success for the other.

• Like 2

We learned only an hour ago that Free League's new edition of the first (and in its time, huge) Nordic "generic fantasy RPG" Drakar och Demoner (originally a licensed translation of Magic World) will be translated into English as well. I have very high hopes for this - Free League know their stuff!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/drakar-och-demoner-dragonbaneKan vara en bild av bok och text där det står ”FREE LEAGUE DRAGONBANE 055 や + M HBBR MIRTH &G & MAYHEM ROLEPLAYING”

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Mugen said:

I wonder how Mythras and TDM sales compare with MW and Chaosium sales.

My feeling is that TDM is much smaller than Chaosium, and a that a game that is a commercial failure for one can be a huge success for the other.

Overall I think TDM is smaller, sure; having neither CoC nor RQ in the stable; that alone almost guarantees "smaller."   But they are much more alike in size, I think, than either one is to The Worlds Most Popular 800lb Gorilla; I suspect they are similar to one another in terms of what's viable and what's not.

I'm noticing in particular that Mythras has:

• several original settings (Thennla, After the Vampire Wars, Destined (supers), Worlds United, Fioracitta) 
  • a couple of licensed settings (Luther Arkwright, Lyonesse)
  • several Mythic-Earth settings (Mythic Britain (itself a multi-title line), Rome, Babylon, Constantinople, and more on the way)
  • several licensees, including Frostbyte (whose M-Space itself has 2 different settings (Weaver & Elevation)) plus another RPG, Odd Soot

By some standards, Mythras is arguably a "more-robust" product-line than Chaosium's BRP is (depending as it does on "just" CoC & RQ) -- I'm looking forward to LotMS & RoL, and 2e of MI !

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

We learned only an hour ago that Free League's new edition of the first (and in its time, huge) "generic fantasy RPG" Drakar och Demoner (originally a licensed translation of Magic World) will be translated into English as well. I have very high hopes for this - Free League know their stuff!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/drakar-och-demoner-dragonbane

Do we know if they'll be doing this with a BRP engine, or related?
IIRC, the Drakar och Demoner products had moved away from it...

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 minutes ago, g33k said:

Do we know if they'll be doing this with a BRP engine, or related?
IIRC, the Drakar och Demoner products had moved away from it...

It’s BRP with a D20 (like Pendragon in that respect). We know it’s losing SIZ as a stat, though.

The D20 took over in Swedish BRP design in 1985. 🙂

Edited by Akhôrahil

4 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

It’s BRP with a D20 (like Pendragon in that respect). We know it’s losing SIZ as a stat, though.

buh.
I expect I'll pass.  I hope others get what they want from it... Free League should do it right.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

The D20 took over in Swedish BRP design in 1985. 🙂

First edition DoD had a d100. Also, the retro edition recently done by Riotminds was d100.

Did Free League say anything about the system of the upcoming version?

7 minutes ago, smiorgan said:

First edition DoD had a d100. Also, the retro edition recently done by Riotminds was d100.

Did Free League say anything about the system of the upcoming version?

Very few details yet - I expect we will get a lot more info after it’s demo’ed at the Medieval Week festival in Visby soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Very few details yet - I expect we will get a lot more info after it’s demo’ed at the Medieval Week festival in Visby soon.

I think the cover design of the Swedish version gives us the answer to the d20 vs. d100 question.

FB_IMG_16596997200368365.jpg

On 8/2/2022 at 9:54 AM, Soccercalle said:

I think that RQG is the best setting-based fantasy RPG but I think that Mythras is the best setting-neutral system. It is also quite easy to tailor to a specific setting. You can for example decide to not use all schools of magic. You can also choose to take away more advanced fighting rules and add things like Passions from RQG.

Mythras already has "passions".  There is no need to add them.

• Helpful 1