Pirates of the East Isles is out now on DTRPG

Pentallion

11 hours ago, Pentallion said:

The Haragalans have been known to range pretty far, but most piracy remains within the East Isles itself.  To an East Islander, piracy is like cattle raiding to a Sartarite.

Are you saying that they consist of pirate clans which raid each other? Doesn't there have to be wide scale trading going on to support piracy? Who is their main target?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Godlearner said:

Are you saying that they consist of pirate clans which raid each other? Doesn't there have to be wide scale trading going on to support piracy? Who is their main target?

Not "clans", that's a social norm found in Dragon Pass. Islanders participate in piracy when the opportunity arises. Not all islanders, but many. Haragala is described as the largest nation in the East Isles "primarily financed by a widespread network of voluntary tribute" - GtG. A page later that same source describes how the larger islands keep navies to protect themselves from "Raiding Vormaini, Teleono and Haragalan pirates."

The Haragalans are considered not only the protectors of the East Isles but the preeminent pirates as well. the GtG describes how Trader Jadilulo's fleet, responsible for defending against foreign aggression, usually operate more as pirates within the East Isles rather than invading Vormain or Teleos.

The Vormaini have Tsankth worshipping pirates. The Ratuki are pirates.

Then there's the Haragalan's main rival, the Pirate King who rules out of Pirate Town.

I'm not making a direct one to one equivalence between piracy and cattleraiding, I'm saying it's as prevalent and as much a way of life. Don't think clans, however, think islands.

Trade is actually quite vibrant in the East Isles. It was more so before the Mockery Conquests. the GtG lists it as a minor trade route, meaning not so many large fleets, meaning more opportunity for piracy.

Oh, and Haragala is the terminus of more trade routes than anywhere else in Glorantha. Both Haragala and Mokato being listed as Major Trade Centers. A third major trade center has fallen to Andin demons in the Mockery Conquest just a year before the campaign begins.

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 6

• Pentallion changed the title to Pirates of the East Isles is out now on DTRPG

I am really looking forward to digging into a brand new sandbox that isn't quite as focused on the Dragon Pass region and the Adventures of Argrath, Harrek, and Jar-Eel. I rather like the idea of a Hero Wars where PCs can be movers and shakers, or destroyers, or whatever the story becomes.

Also, freaking awesome ninja pirates! 

• Like 2

El Runeblogger mentions that it's hard to obtain RQ3's rules for ships and seafaring. They're essentially the same as the rules in BRP Magic World, which can be yours for just $2.99 (original price: $24.42).

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 1

Another book that can be used is "Blood Tide". There are rules for ship to ship fighting. I know they are written for  another setting, but I think they are useable.

I have a question about the ships' speed (on page 109).

Ships speed is measured in knots. One knot is one nautic mile per hour (1852 m per hour). It is around 6 m (20 feet) per RQ round.

For me 125 feet per round is 6 knots. Did I miss something?

• Like 1

No, you're right. I made a math error. However, speed in Pirates of the East Isles is not expressed in knots, it is expressed in mph because the Argan Argar Atlas is printed at 5 miles per hex and converting to knots is math.

And as you can see by how easily I screwed up the math, math is Bad. Very Bad.

So Magic World be damned, if the map uses miles, the speed uses mph.

Recalculating. How far a ship traveling at speed 1 moves in a round would be 5280/5 (rounds per minute)*60 (minutes)=17.6 feet per round., since Math is Bad, we can round up to 20 feet per round and it's a game, not a physics simulation so good to go.  And hey, since a nautical mile equals 1.15 miles, and 17.6 * 1.15 = 20.24 everybody is happy.

Thanks for pointing that out. My calculator is being reprimanded as we speak. Bad calculator, bad.

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 3