Flaming scads of sarcasm and general nastiness (oh my!)

Well, that is a little scad of hyperbole... 

But my favourite place to hang out... somewhere in this Forum is my praise for BRP Central and its denizens from a happier time... is becoming a bit more inter-webby-like every day. And that really sucks. 

It can not be that hard to be nice to folk or if necessary avoid those one can not be nice to (the are a couple folk here I despise, but you would never know it based on my posts, I simply set phasers on ignore and let them do their thang). Every now and again some pedantic piece of

Spoiler

(poo)

gets on my case that my opinion can not be taken seriously "for the rules say.... blah, blah, blah..." Of course this can be simply discourse and this forum is here for our opinions and all, so maybe I am letting down the team by not retorting," but mon cher, you are incorrect as the next two pages that you cite say... blah, blah. blah, thus volleying the argument back and forth for the space of a dozen screens to the delight of all! But the trolling that a simple observation can elicit... Zounds and gadzooks! Why bother! Why spend the time and effort to craft a post just to be trolled?

So, am I getting silly and thin skinned? Could be, I am old and doddering and possibly a fool, why not add overly sensitive to the ragout for seasoning? Seriously, there are currently a few posts kicking around where you can see dander rising and veiled insults being uttered and people’s grip on reality (considering the topic here, really?) being questioned. Nothing as violent as a good old Finnish Fisch Schlapping Dance* (google it, or seeing as we are all Gloranthaphiles... maybe Duck, Duck, Go is more apropos) but still, it is there as a festering undercurrent just below the surface of the BRP stream.

Many of the wiser denizens must realize that we are all faced with the possibility of having received a PTSD injury over the last two years. To those who have PTSD from sources other that Covid I am not intending to trivialize your plight, but I must point out that two years of relative isolation, polarization (not so relative) and fear of a horrible death for you or your loved ones will cause trauma and may, as I suggest, PTSD. I have been unable to walk for four and a bit months as a result of this nasty virus and let me tell you, that scared the living daylights outa me and turned my thoughts a little gloomy!

Having my first good day since just before my last birthday in January has me thinking much more positively than I have for quite a while. Ya know,  I have not posted anything lengthy and hard thought here in a long time because many have forgotten the call to be nice. Was it just a couple of years ago when many flocked to the call for gentility and niceness for your fellow posters? Can we consider the possibility that it is once again time to be better in real life as well as here in the virtual?

Can we not all be excellent to each other?

Hell yeah!

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Love ya too! I hope that did not sound all about me, I meant it to be about those who are feeling stressed and taking it out on other poor stressed folk. Me, I am just looking for a little peace! 

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

Well Bill, I'm new to this forum, so I (sadly) assumed that this has been the standard. I have always enjoyed posts from folks who can keep things civil, and polite. It does seem that rules (RAW) are more important to folks than they should be. 

Thanks for this thread!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thread tennis has always been an issue.

I generally ignore it, unless it generates good ideas.

Unless, of course, I am playing thread tennis, in which case it is vitally important to get my point of view across, time and time and time again.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

42 minutes ago, Badder said:

Well Bill, I'm new to this forum, so I (sadly) assumed that this has been the standard. I have always enjoyed posts from folks who can keep things civil, and polite. It does seem that rules (RAW) are more important to folks than they should be. 

Thanks for this thread!

Don't fret too much... this place has been great, and usually it still is. I do however note that just a few folk are not recognizing their frustration and/or passion when posting their missives and it spills out and gets a momentum all its on well above and beyond the reactions that were hoped for. Seeing as I have felt this to be a great place and still feel it to be great, I figure I had better put in my to bolgs worth.

Hope to see some great posts from you in the future Badder!

12 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Unless, of course, I am playing thread tennis, in which case it is vitally important to get my point of view across, time and time and time again.

Agreed, thanks Simon!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Agentorange said:

Flaming Scads of Sarcasm sounds as though it should be some kind of trickster Rune magic

Fantastic! You are the only one it seems who caught the spirit of the topic!

Bravo!

5 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Fantastic! You are the only one it seems who caught the spirit of the topic!

Bravo!

With a successful casting of the spell each 1 point of this stackable rune spell results in a temporary 1d10 reduction in the targets reputation score..

Actually i think I might be onto  something there....many a true word spoken in jest and all that.

Edited by Agentorange
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2022 at 4:03 AM, soltakss said:

If I have a point to make, I try to make it once.

However recently I've been posting less because I'm not playing any BRP games at the moment. I'm only playing online still and the few games I am playing aren't BRP*. I feel I have less to contribute here currently, but I'm sure the wheel will turn eventually.

* As we are in Alastor's Skull Inn I can reveal that I'm playing a couple of D&D5e games and refereeing Coriolis: The Third Horizon, but even those sessions have been a bit thin on the ground recently.

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:
On 6/17/2022 at 7:03 PM, soltakss said:

I need to get better at Not Doing That.

I enjoy participating in it much more than watching it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 6/19/2022 at 2:03 PM, Agentorange said:

With a successful casting of the spell each 1 point of this stackable rune spell results in a temporary 1d10 reduction in the targets reputation score..

Actually i think I might be onto  something there....many a true word spoken in jest and all that.

Alternate version:  *adds* +1d10 rep, but causes anyone "recognizing" the person to recall whatever event is most-negative in their reputation/history... that time your Sing roll actually started a feud... that time you cast "Bladesharp 6" + "Berzerk" & solo'ed the entire bandit camp (including the captives you were there to rescue)... etc.

"Negative" will be as per the situation at hand, or from the POV of the person recognizing them; they will be seen "in the worst possible light."

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig