Q about updated character sheet - Sanity box

Ema Nymton

The updated CoC character sheets generate an Insane figure which is 1/5 of the starting sanity entry.

Am I missing something or misunderstanding something, because the rules state that (p.156 rulebook) Indefinite Insanity occurs on losing a fifth or more of current Sanity points in one game “day”. 

Therefore outside of the start of a game (or rather the first game day), this figure is potentially/likely going to be obsolete for the remainder of the scenario if a character has lost sanity going into 'day 2'.

Doesn't this make that box confusing, especially to new players, as the constant presence of that figure will continually imply that Indefinite insanity occurs only when losing 1/5 of starting sanity?

• Like 1

CoC has a history of not being very precise with language. I wonder if "starting" on the new sheet is intended to mean "start of this game session," rather than "start of this character's creation." 

Even if that were the intention, it doesn't change the fact that there would be an inconsistency/confusion in language between the Keeper book and the sheet.

The benefit of the old SAN "block" was that you could easily draw lines where your current 1/5 value is. 

Edited by klecser
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, klecser said:

I wonder if "starting" on the new sheet is intended to mean "start of this game session," rather than "start of this character's creation." 

Even if that were the intention, it doesn't change the fact that there would be an inconsistency/confusion in language between the Keeper book and the sheet.

The benefit of the old SAN "block" was that you could easily draw lines where your current 1/5 value is. 

I think that's a good take. Utilising the Starting box for Start of the Game session/day would certainly work.

I agree about the old Sanity Block, it had its benefits and my players certainly prefer it. Not only is it easier to mark and track, the scope of it visually had a big impact, as they could see a more visceral representation of how their minds was being affected and crumbling.

The new one comes accross a little sanitary. (For us at least. Each to their own of course, and it's good to have options).

Thanks Klecser 👍

• Like 1

This is explained in the guidance in the book (Starter, Quick-Start). 

Starting Sanity is SAN at start of game (to begin with), then Current Sanity is used to show loss in current day/game. The Insane number shows the 1/5 level for that day/game.

Thus, on day two of game, if Sanity was lost the day before, the player now updates the Starting Sanity box (with whatever is written in the Current box), and then scrubs out the Current number. This resets the 1/5 Insane number, so it remains current for the game, now. Tomorrow in game, do same again. Repeat.

Thus, Starting is both starting at start of game and also starting at start of a new day or game.

• Thanks 1