Cost for Rune Spells

Soccercalle

35 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

No-uh.  Page 273:  (at least how I parse it)

"As with priests, any Rune points spent in divine intervention are regained normally (at the next Holy Day, etc.)"

Crap. Apologies. I did think there was something, but I didn't find it. (ie, I somehow skipped that line when reading).

Yeah, I'd change that...

7 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Crap. Apologies. I did think there was something, but I didn't find it. (ie, I somehow skipped that line when reading).

Yeah, I'd change that...

You are not the only one who missed it - one of our players, very very experienced, just assumed, like you, that it was effectively a D10 POW, as in RQ2.  His reaction to the change was also a four letter word.  🙂

16 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

You are not the only one who missed it - one of our players, very very experienced, just assumed, like you, that it was effectively a D10 POW, as in RQ2.  His reaction to the change was also a four letter word.  🙂

Well, I'm much more disappointed in myself, as I was specifically looking for the rule for it!

13 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

A few of our PCs are nearing the CHA limit.  I guess we are supposed to join another cult.  Pending the release of any Heroquesting rules...

Anybody have other clever or even good ideas?

The CHA limit is the number of RP you may have, not the number of rune spells you may know. Once you get to the limit, you still may learn spells, but get no new RP. In addition, you may loose RP, either by DI or using 1 use spells.

2 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Tell your player (s)he is not alone except that my French word was 5 letters 😛 

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 12:37 PM, French Desperate WindChild said:

How to learn rune spell

Adventurers start with all common spells the god/ess allows and three other spells and three rune points.

If you want to increase your Rune point pool and learn a new spell:

At the gamemaster’s discretion, an initiate can gain access to the cult’s special Rune spells in return for exceptional service to the cult, by donating the equivalent of 100L* per point of the spell, or for other reasons that further the cult’s goals and standing.

RQG, Initiates, Duties and Restrictions, page 275.

Then you can sacrifice a point of POW to add to your rune pool, and you can choose another spell regardless of the spell's rune point cost:

For each point of POW sacrificed, the adventurer acquires the right to cast an additional cult special Rune magic spell. As the magical link between the cultist and the deity deepens, the adventurer also gains a broader use of the deity’s power.

RQG, Gaining Rune Magic Spells, page 314.

The rune point pool limit is the adventurers CHA. In a small number of cases (Major cults like Orlanth and Ernalda) have more spells than the human max CHA of 21 (including Enchantments and associate cult rune magic). By then your adventurer will be pushing their rune point overflow (above CHA) into one-use magic, Enchantments, divine intervention and their Hero Soul, to learn all the spells.

My players figured out that getting the higher point spells at Character Creation was cheaper than getting them later. For example: with Orlanth Adventurous, Earth Shield (3pts), Summons of Evil (3pts) and Teleportation (3pts) (from Mastakos) would require a donation of 600L each (30 cows!), so are a must at character creation (it cannot be denied that this makes interesting adventurers). 

Copied from: 

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

If you want to increase your Rune point pool and learn a new spell:

At the gamemaster’s discretion, an initiate can gain access to the cult’s special Rune spells in return for exceptional service to the cult, by donating the equivalent of 100L* per point of the spell, or for other reasons that further the cult’s goals and standing.

Then you can sacrifice a point of POW to add to your rune pool, and you can choose another spell regardless of the spell's rune point cost:

For each point of POW sacrificed, the adventurer acquires the right to cast an additional cult special Rune magic spell. As the magical link between the cultist and the deity deepens, the adventurer also gains a broader use of the deity’s power.

Ah yes I'd forgotten those details. There's almost a contradiction there though! The first implies that in order to learn, say, Regrow Limb (2 points) you'd need to donate 200L. The second says that you can learn any spell for 1 POW.

It's not an actual contradiction though, just an difference in how you might interpret each one stand-alone.

Taking them both together, it seems that to learn Regrow Limb, I'd need to donate 200L, sacrifice 1 POW to gain 1 RP, and learn the two-point spell. Or maybe they are supposed to be separate, different ways of acquiring magic. Spend money, or sacrifice 1 POW for a Rune Point.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

My players figured out that getting the higher point spells at Character Creation was cheaper than getting them later. For example: with Orlanth Adventurous, Earth Shield (3pts), Summons of Evil (3pts) and Teleportation (3pts) (from Mastakos) would require a donation of 600L each (30 cows!), so are a must at character creation (it cannot be denied that this makes interesting adventurers).

I haven't been particularly generous with loot, but my players aren't short of a few hundred L to spare. Well, apart from the Humakti who keeps spending it all on local military infrastructure.