Carrying books

11 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a bag to carry books in? It needs to hold the RQG slipcase plus about the same amount again.

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/?query=glorantha tote bag&ref=search_box

Get the large size.  leave the actual slipcase at home.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
get the large size
  • Helpful 1

If I really had too, I'd skip the "bag" and move to something like: https://www.amazon.com/Solo-New-York-Classic-USLB1514/dp/B000IJ9O8W?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER (How nice, they now have wheels -- I used to carry the manuals for a Xerox Sigma-6 running CP-V in one back in the late 70s, at my college, along with a few text books. No Wheels!)

Though mine had flip-over hinged top, not zipped fold-out.

Edited by Baron Wulfraed

On 7/1/2022 at 3:19 AM, PhilHibbs said:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a bag to carry books in? It needs to hold the RQG slipcase plus about the same amount again.

Until I went all online-gaming with the pandemic, I had been using this travel case for a few years on a weekly basis.

rpg-travel-case.thumb.jpg.88ac04b94892eb140332f44fadad4e1b.jpg

It's great because:

• It's got wheels, so you don't have to carry anything!
  • It's one of the very few travel cases that has a flat bottom, so you can pack it with books and stuff without the wheels casing getting in the way.
  • It's got extra space for your dice, notes, a couple extra books, a laptop, a bag of tokens or whatever.
  • It's pretty sturdy, it hasn't shown signs of fatigue in those years.

• Like 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I have one (well the smaller size), it's not quite rugged enough for me to trust with a stack of hardback books (slipcase set, starter set, RBOM, and two or three JC books).

I no longer carry heavy things (like RQ slipcase sets!) in "tote bags" unless they're made for it -- basically, if the handles/straps run the whole length of the bag, and meet across the bottom.  That way, the heavy-duty straps are actually bearing the weight, and the "bag" is just sides to keep things from spilling.

Otherwise -- if the straps are just fastened onto the top edge of the bag -- all the weight is going onto those 4 (relatively tiny) attachment-points.  I have killed several bags by having the weight of the loads rip the handles off the bags.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/2/2022 at 1:21 PM, Ludovic aka Lordabdul said:

Until I went all online-gaming with the pandemic, I had been using this travel case for a few years on a weekly basis.

<SNIP image>

It's great because:

• It's got wheels, so you don't have to carry anything!
  • It's one of the very few travel cases that has a flat bottom, so you can pack it with books and stuff without the wheels casing getting in the way.
  • It's got extra space for your dice, notes, a couple extra books, a laptop, a bag of tokens or whatever.
  • It's pretty sturdy, it hasn't shown signs of fatigue in those years.

I use something similar, but IMHO superior:  the key difference is that my "wheelie" bag has bigger wheels.

When I'm on uneven/rutted/etc ground, bigger wheels traverse the terrain better.  In our gravel driveway, for example, most "wheeled luggage" just needs to be picked up and carried, but my wheely rolls well across it.  A lawn is a touch more challenging, I usually just carry.  (Shape of the case is different, from yours, but I find that a trivial issue; so long as the smallest dimension is big-enough, it just means packing differently!)

+1 for a flat-bottom bag or case!

Knowing what I know now -- having used my case vs. other (smaller-wheeled) wheelie bags -- I'd likely go for something with even-larger wheels!  A quick search turns up these ones:
https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Waterproof-Business-Commuter-Compartment/dp/B092VQ2P3L/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NLXTT92/

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

The last six years I just use my tablet or my phone for all RPGs. Searchable pdfs is what made me switch, but I recognize the encumbrance factor was also an important reason. As a plus, I got the Warhammer books almost six months earlier than the print, which was lifesaving for The Enemy Within. 

On 7/6/2022 at 10:01 AM, g33k said:

Knowing what I know now -- having used my case vs. other (smaller-wheeled) wheelie bags -- I'd likely go for something with even-larger wheels! 

The one I linked to has indeed flimsy wheels. It's not a big problem for me since I wasn't rolling it very far. If I had to take public transit to my games I would have definitely reconsidered -- so thanks for the tip about the existence of bigger wheels!

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 7/6/2022 at 11:24 PM, PhilHibbs said:

I have one (well the smaller size), it's not quite rugged enough for me to trust with a stack of hardback books (slipcase set, starter set, RBOM, and two or three JC books).

Moon Rune Collection (Lunar Red) Duffle Bag

116701039_ScreenShot2022-07-10at1_06_28am.png.3da7604c400c728aa7553db5e12774ed.png

https://www.redbubble.com/i/duffle-bag/Moon-Rune-Collection-Lunar-Red-by-Chaosium/23935860.TZ9LO

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 8:24 AM, JRE said:

The last six years I just use my tablet or my phone for all RPGs. Searchable pdfs is what made me switch, but I recognize the encumbrance factor was also an important reason. As a plus, I got the Warhammer books almost six months earlier than the print, which was lifesaving for The Enemy Within. 

I cannot deny the utility.
I just *like* physical books better.

"Books, young man, books! Thousands of them. If time wasn't so important, I'd show you something. My library. Thousands of books... not ... that homogenized, pasteurized, synthesized..."

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/8/2022 at 9:16 PM, Ludovic aka Lordabdul said:

The one I linked to has indeed flimsy wheels. It's not a big problem for me since I wasn't rolling it very far...

My experience is, it's not so much "how far" as "how smooth."
Nice indoor flooring = any wheels are fine.
My gravel driveway = small wheels stop every few inches

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/10/2022 at 11:34 AM, g33k said:

I cannot deny the utility.
I just *like* physical books better.

"Books, young man, books! Thousands of them. If time wasn't so important, I'd show you something. My library. Thousands of books... not ... that homogenized, pasteurized, synthesized..."

For at the table use, tablets and pdfs can be very useful, but for reading for pleasure there is nothing quite like the smell of a bookshelf and the feeling of turning actual pages. And here's the thing, I'm allergic to dust and dust mites. Owning a lot of books costs me an extra $30 a month for allergy meds! 😁

And this next part is important... when you buy a physical book you get to KEEP it! Amazon, or Nook, or whatever dumbass service doesn't get to suddenly decide that they don't want to carry a book that you paid damned near full price for and **poof!** the sum'bitch is gone. I've know several people that got caught in that racket with more than one service. They thought they were getting a pdf of a book, instead they just bought **access* to it, not the product itself.

Edited by svensson

3 minutes ago, g33k said:

My experience is, it's not so much "how far" as "how smooth."
Nice indoor flooring = any wheels are fine.
My gravel driveway = small wheels stop every few inches

Maybe this is the old military mutt in me, I don't know, but it seems to me that something I learned as a Boy Scout a million years ago applied then, applied in my military career, applied in my reenactor career, and applies here...

"Never pack more than you can carry."

If you can't lift it, you can do without it.

Or you need stronger friends.

Either way... 🤣😅😉

For the cheapskates among us I present <drum roll> the Waitrose freezer bag…

I do keep looking at the pilot cases, and they are very nice, but for a few measly quid (for 1 gbp is now a measly item) this does the job… and you'd think it was made to measure. It's posh too – Waitrose innit, and padded as well for a bit of protection. Joking aside, it works for me because I only need to carry the bags from home to car and from car park to venue so no serious travelling involved. And it nestles very nicely behind the driver seat so no risk of book damage in transit.

IMG_8651.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1