Chaosium Interviews: the three most DANGEROUS places in Glorantha

MOB

My votes for Glorantha would be Dorastor (you're gonna need cure chaos wound and psych therapy), The Underworld (you start by being dead), and that place in Pamaltela with all the giant monsters (om nom nom).

My votes for Dragon Pass would be Hydra Valley (om nom nom), Upland Marsh (you're gonna drown), and the Earthshaker Temple (tourists double as sacrifices).

On 7/8/2022 at 6:59 AM, Darius West said:

My votes for Glorantha would be Dorastor (you're gonna need cure chaos wound and psych therapy), The Underworld (you start by being dead), and that place in Pamaltela with all the giant monsters (om nom nom).

My votes for Dragon Pass would be Hydra Valley (om nom nom), Upland Marsh (you're gonna drown), and the Earthshaker Temple (tourists double as sacrifices).

Not Snack[sic] Pipe?...

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

Not Snack[sic] Pipe?...

Nah, it doesn't quite make my top 3, it might be 4th.  I mean, Hydra Valley is a death sentence, I have witnessed 7 characters drown in the Upland Marsh, and the Earthshaker temple is quite willing to murder tourists and there is nothing the tourists can really do about it except try to run away, which likely won't work any better than trying to fight.  Next to that, Snakepipe Hollow is nasty, but just not bad enough.

Edited by Darius West

I'm not disagreeing with @Darius West's choices, but Woods of the Dead and Snakepipe should definitely be in the running. Both of those places are murder holes. But I suppose all these places are.

And let's not forget some 'almost friendly' places, Shaker Temple being one example. Kero Fin isn't easy. One misstep and it's a longer way down than your Flight 2 spell is gonna get you. Redstone Caverns is another biggie... the entire time you're there you're literally one word away from being the guest of honor AND the entree at an Uz buffet.

On 7/11/2022 at 4:08 PM, svensson said:

I'm not disagreeing with @Darius West's choices, but Woods of the Dead and Snakepipe should definitely be in the running. Both of those places are murder holes. But I suppose all these places are.

Look, I agree with you.  Those are seriously BAD places.  I just think they are less bad than the ones I mentioned.  Honestly I have "shot the pipe" without character deaths,  and I have never needed to go into the Stone Woods, and while I have GMed Redstone Cavern I have never played it.

But lets be objective here...   The Hydra is 1 to 6 times worse than the Crimson Bat, and if you wander into its valley it WILL eat you, (thousands of Thunder Delta Slingers can't be wrong, but will prove delicious).  Upland Marsh is undead horror with the very real risk of death by drowning.  I have watched many deaths and a couple of TPKs in Upland Marsh (blub-blub-blub+ desperate flailing in the mud). And then you have The Earthshakers...  That one looks like a promising human sacrifice...  Any objections?  What?  No-one dares object?  Funny that... KYAGB. 

I find the eartshaker temple an odd choice, because it is dangerous for certain people, but not for all people. An all-female, non virgin party without Lunar tarshites and some local introductions should have no problem. And if you have some dark earth cultist, maybe a friendly welcome. Unlike the Hydra or the Upland Marsh, which are equal opportunity murder places.

My third place in Dragon Pass right now would be the Ivory plinth. We have adventures at the other sites, and you can even "win", in some ways with a party. In pure dead count, I am sure the tusk riders have sacrificed more people than the Earthshaker temple, and you need an army to approach and not be sacrificed. 

2 hours ago, JRE said:

I find the eartshaker temple an odd choice, because it is dangerous for certain people, but not for all people. An all-female, non virgin party without Lunar tarshites and some local introductions should have no problem.

Well "local introductions" should rule out every Sartarite.  The Exiles have no great love for Sartar, and actually look forwards to conquering it after they have retaken their land.  As to all-female parties, nope, women too can be sacrificed as women too can be enthralled, and thralls have no rights.  Maran Gor might not kill Earth Cult members, but they had better expect to dip into their ransoms to placate the Earth Shaker if they are not locals.  Only emissaries are probably safe.  An Earthquake is a mindless force of destruction that doesn't play favorites, and carnivorous dinosaurs don't either.

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

The Exiles have no great love for Sartar, and actually look forwards to conquering it after they have retaken their land. 

Saronil was raised at Shaker Temple, which is where he may have befriended Palashee, and which may be where he found both his wives. Sartar went forth to fight for the Exiles at Grizzly Peak, too. Whence that hostility?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Saronil was raised at Shaker Temple, which is where he may have befriended Palashee, and which may be where he found both his wives. Sartar went forth to fight for the Exiles at Grizzly Peak, too. Whence that hostility?

Long term, I could imagine rule over Far Point might be a bone of contention? I think the Exiles have more immediate issues, though.