House rules for Passions and Runes bonuses?

In my opinion and actual experience of passions, those swings may be too minor, or too limited. A passion tends to be goal-oriented rather than method-oriented, which means having to choose which weapon skill it applies to feels a bit iffy. Everything else is maybe "an interest" rather than a passion.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

In my opinion and actual experience of passions, those swings may be too minor, or too limited. A passion tends to be goal-oriented rather than method-oriented, which means having to choose which weapon skill it applies to feels a bit iffy. Everything else is maybe "an interest" rather than a passion.

Same for me

ibdibt consider the bonus important enough

But it will depends how the passions are played. If it is just a bonus and not something driving the character (or to be clear, if you don’t lose passion every time you act against your passion) yes it is too much

if I had something to change with passion it would be to define a scale between passion score, passion bonus , what you can do against passion / when you can stay passive without any consequence 

I mean if you have 90+ you must do thing even if it is not smart (like honor accept the duel even if you know your opponent is too powerful)

if you have60, you must not do thing even if it is smart (like honor do not ambush even if it is easier)

on this way I like how the vampire rpg manage «  humanity » 20 years ago I don’t know now

Just now, French Desperate WindChild said:

Yes my point was the model , not the « values » proposed

Then you’ll like the new system - you decide what matters for Humanity in your campaign (with some example setups), and then use the same kind of engine for it.

But anyway, off-topic!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

I think -50/-20/20/30/50 is good range. I believe Sandy Petersen said not to even bother with small modifiers.

Sandy: father of the "Quad Damage" power-up in Quake. Building up a ton of tiny bonuses is great for a computer game like Diablo, but sucks for P&P RPGs.

7 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

My own personal idea is having a bonus = passion or rune whatever/5 useable once a day/week?, split among any skills the player likes during one scene. Rolls are made if the DM calls for them or the player does. The DM ones having much more impact than the player ones.

I would suggest to compare the bonus you provide with a bladesharp spell

do you consider that passion provides once a day / week bladesharp 2/3/4 during a full scene is enough, too much or too little ?

Personally I consider that a true passion would give more than a 6 points spell but only if the situation fits really and directly the passion

But that should be seen in a bigger perspective (I give less crystal / matrix / spirits than others I think )

6 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I would suggest to compare the bonus you provide with a bladesharp spell

do you consider that passion provides once a day / week bladesharp 2/3/4 during a full scene is enough, too much or too little ?

Personally I consider that a true passion would give more than a 6 points spell but only if the situation fits really and directly the passion

But that should be seen in a bigger perspective (I give less crystal / matrix / spirits than others I think )

I think it is the flexibility that is the key. Few Spirit magic spells aid in non combat situations this can. You are right, too much too little is a problem, and how many Passions Elements can you use a day/time period? Some limit needs setting.