Adventures in/around Arkham 1920s??

MrHemlocks

After a few years off from gaming I am getting my old group, along with some new players, together to play Runequest and CoC. Also, Dungeon crawl classic Lankhmar campaign.

But for now I will be returning to the source book by Chaosium.... Arkham Unveiled.

I ran most the adventures that were included in the book, a few years ago, but now need different ones.

Looking to start my investigators in Arkham Unveiled and now need new adventures for them that are in/around the city.

Using 7th edition rules and know I can adjust for earlier editions if needing. Any suggestions or have a few different adventures that I could use?

Thanks

call-of-cthulhu-1920s-arkham-unveiledpdf-lazypeonnet.jpg

Edited by MrHemlocks
Spelling
  • Like 1

I highly recommend you check out the fantastic The Arkham Gazette by our own Bret Kramer. Each issue explores a different aspect of Lovecraft Country. When the focus is a town, Bret includes a bibliography of scenarios that take place in or around that settlement. Issue #00 is available for free as a sampler, and contains info on the Aylesbury Pike, for instance. Issue #01 covers Arkham, and the 14-page bibliography of scenarios has everything that's been published or even just posted online.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

46 minutes ago, MrHemlocks said:

WOW...those suggestions are both going to be used! I bought the Doors of Darkness awhile back. So, going to look for that adventure. Also, the Arkham Gazette is on my to order list. I didn't know those gazettes existed.

Thanks 👍

The Gazettes are frankly my new favorite CoC fan material. Each article in each issue feels really gamable, in contrast with other periodicals that offer atmosphere but little in the way of RPG fodder.

EDIT: I just noticed the Gazettes are on sale right now, due to DTRPG's "Christmas in July" sale, with the Quarantine Special Bundle  fairly cheap!

Edited by AlHazred
  • Like 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

Sentinel Hill Press puts out a Lovecraft Country Scenario Index that lists all of the Arkham region scenarios and their source publications. It looks like it's available for free from their website.

They also sell an excellent Miskatonic Country Scenarios: A Keeper's Guide that is more of an annotated approach that you can currently pick up less than five dollars on DriveThruRPG. I highly recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll add a second recommendation for Miskatonic Country Scenarios: A Keeper's Guide. It's awesome--provides excellent summary and reference across a wide range of scenarios tied to geographies, and will provide you with quick reference as to which scenarios are based in Arkham, in whole or in part. I see it's also included in the Quarantine Special Bundle @AlHazred linked out to. (And thanks for putting that bundle on my radar, too--I might need to pick it up myself!)

In terms of specific scenario recommendations, I am currently running Crimson Letters from the 7th edition Keeper's Rulebook for my playgroup and it's a lot of fun. Plenty of NPCs to play, plenty of open options for the Keeper to customize things, and a nice, creepy mystery that's left my players guessing.

I also adore Blackwater Creek from the Keeper's Screen pack--it starts out in Arkham before moving the bulk of the scenario to a place near Dunwich. So maybe not quite what you're looking for, but it's a wonderful sandbox scenario with multiple strange, apparently disparate elements that come together into a wonderfully horrific finale.

• Like 1

"He was in the changeless, legend-haunted city of Arkham, with its clustering gambrel roofs that sway and sag over attics where witches hid from the King's men in the dark, olden days of the province."

I just ran "Spare the Rod", from More Adventures in Arkham Country, and heartily recommend it. It involves one of the town's legendary witches. 

Loads of community content scenarios on the Miskatonic Repository are set in and around Arkham in the 1920s. You can easily find them using my Miskatonic Repository Catalogue, which lets you filter by location and era. Still going cheap for a few hours more in DriveThruRPG's "Christmas in July" sale (currently 75 cents, usually $1.00).

Lurking Fears was an amazing campaign that I ran a few times, and I am pretty sure has an Arkham adventure in it. Plus the one in the Everglades began for us as residents in Arkham. I expanded and enhanced all the scenarios, but it was high quality foundational material to begin with.

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson