What happens to initiates who DON'T go mad in the Sex Pit?

Rob Darvall

On 8/13/2022 at 6:17 AM, KungFuFenris said:

As far as I gathered from my readings of the texts:

Isn't the primary problem with extramaritial sex not dishonesty? Like, this is a matter of honor. If everyone agree on a Open Relationship, that is not a problem, but non-consensual nonmonogamy is the dealbreaker?

Marriage involves oaths. Breaking oaths has actual consequences. So long as the oaths are kept everything is fine. Different cultures and kinds of marriages have different oaths which allow for different things. Even if both parties are ok with it if it is against the specific oaths sworn there will be consequences. It’s an offense against the oath keeper(s) to break the oaths not just your partner. All of this applies to non-marriage oaths. Their is a focus on marriage because it is one of the most common kinds of oath based relationships.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

This thread has been very helpful, as we've just had our Session 0 of Six Seasons in Sartar (and are all very excited about it) and the characters will face initiation next time. I wasn't quite able to rationalise The Sex Pit as a constructive obstacle, only as a mythic necessity. As I read it in SSiS, the poor boy appears to have suffered some nasty spiritual sex assault (presumably 'what reflects his innermost nature', if you accept that the initiates' confrontations are drawn to the individual, not prescribed by outsiders) and been broken by it.

The idea that The Sex Pit is instead the initiate's lust rejected and a safe adult path is found my wooing, turning elsewhere, tempering lust (or even abstinence, I guess). Now the Pit isn't full of writhing sex holes, it's a pit about sex. This may, of course, be what Drew intended - I just needed to read this thread to sort it out in my head.

It's not that a PC will undergo this, of course, but I want to make sure that there's a chance they can help somehow, or make sense of what they found there. I think our Darestan will be bloody-nosed, wild-eyed and happy. He thinks he succeeded. That is his madness, which will come to light, later.

Edited by Ned
  • Like 1