Alternate character generation methods

Chao

On 7/27/2022 at 11:50 PM, French Desperate WindChild said:

3) give them x% and let them distribute it: max two skills at 90% and <100%. Don't care what is the base, the modifier, etc. They want 90% in climb ? they spend 90 (not a munchkin, right ?), they want to have 90 in dragon lore, they spend 90 ( just a minmaxer !). The skills without any figure will be calculate when needed (they are just base + modifier). Or even simplier / faster, define an array (90 90 75 75 75 60 60 60 40 40 40 40 40 something like that, maybe more I have not simulated it)

Oh I really like this one. You could do something similar to Heroquest's character creation even, and say only half the array entries need to be entered when making your character, and the other half can be figured out as the game progresses. It might make 100% skills a little more exciting as well if you're not able to start with them, the intricacies of 100%+ skills can sometimes be a little complicated to explain for new players too, so denying those to new characters could help simplify that as well.

Main issue I can see is that it brushes over the specialities of each cult and culture, which is a pretty big issue. Could work well though, especially if you make sure each skill choice is justified by background, it could work to help the discussion on what each cult is about.