I ran Beyond the Mountains of Madness for the past year and all I got was this sh*tty AMA

B.Caven

At this point I've been preparing and running Beyond the Mountains of Madness for the past year; I started making notes in early June/July 2021 and I started running the thing in August and September.
After a year of play, dropping out of university, reapplying to university and several iterations of notes I am pleased to announce my group has made it!

To Australia.

Yes it's been a year and we've only made it through the first five chapters, but that's something I wholly adore about BtMoM. It's the only product in the Call of Cthulhu line that gives its narrative and characters a chance to breathe and develop naturally; nowhere else do the  players have a chance to become familiar with the rhythm of the game and to settle into a sense of normality only to have it ripped suddenly away from them in a spectacular second act. 

To that end, I consider it the greatest product in series and the only one to truly capture a sense of dread and true surmounting horror.

If you need any advice on running the first five chapters, setting the tone or even prepping the damn thing in the first place, I'd be more than happy to answer your questions!

• Like 3