Browning hi power

Mark Mohrfield

I think one of the better options for pistols of the era is the Luger LP 08 "Lange Pistole", also called the "Artillery Luger". This was essentially a Luger P08 with a longer barrel, but it came with a detachable stock and a 32-round magazine; essentially you could, if you needed cover fire, put the stock on and gain more accuracy at distance. A lot of these became available after the Great War, as veterans needed to sell their firearms to stave off starvation during the German Economic Crisis.

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

Well the thing with the Lugar Artillariepistole was that the 32 rnd snail drum magazine was heavy as all get out. A lot of historical users said it had a poor balance inasmuch as the weapon liked to climb quite a bit, the snail mag was off-set from center so that climbing motion also pulled left, and the lack of a foregrip made it difficult to get back down on target.

To put it another way, there's a reason why BGen John Thompson invented his submachine gun so soon after the advent of the BAR and examining the Bergmann MP18s that were captured at the end of War One. Even with a heavier .45 cal round the Thompson was still easier to control and keep on target than any of the automatic carbine pistols on the market.

In a CoC sense, a pistol is a weapon of absolute last resort when dealing with Mythos creatures. Unless it's a heavy round [.45 cal or larger], you might as well throw it at the squiggly for all the actual hurt your little .38 cal round is going to do to it. Hunting Mythos cultists and creatures is a serious business and that business requires serious tools. Your Lugar might look sexy AF on the cover of the penny dreadfuls, but you're really gonna want something that does 2d8 or better damage when it's time for the metal to hit the meat [or whatever eldritch, primordial goo it's made of].

I would recommend (If you can find them) the Investigator weapons series of books from Sixty-stone Press as they have stats for an awesome collection of weird and not so weird weapons of the 1920's and 90's.

4 hours ago, svensson said:

In a CoC sense, a pistol is a weapon of absolute last resort when dealing with Mythos creatures. Unless it's a heavy round [.45 cal or larger], you might as well throw it at the squiggly for all the actual hurt your little .38 cal round is going to do to it. Hunting Mythos cultists and creatures is a serious business and that business requires serious tools. Your Lugar might look sexy AF on the cover of the penny dreadfuls, but you're really gonna want something that does 2d8 or better damage when it's time for the metal to hit the meat [or whatever eldritch, primordial goo it's made of].

Honestly I find that even a .38 is going to do work as most things you meet early on will go down pretty easily to two to three Investigators getting of six to nine shots in a turn. And if a Player has a sawn off for whatever reason Deep Ones and similar seem to be in a world of hurt.

Edited by Butters
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark Mohrfield said:

Agreed that a pistol is what you use if you can't use a longarm of some sort. I do wonder if the CoC damages accurately reflect real-world effects, As a Keeper I'd probably take a page from Trail of Cthulhu and divide pistols into small, medium and large without trying to model each individual caliber.

Most RPGs have a difficult time reflecting real-world damage effects from firearms.  There are so many variables at play it is almost impossible to quantify projectile damage on paper.  But that does not stop us from trying!

Also, there are so many tiny differences in handgun rounds that a S/M/L/XL(maybe) would probably be a better way to catagorize them.

Lastly, a handgun is what you use to get you to your rifle/shotgun/tactical nuke...😁

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2022 at 1:11 PM, Guest Vile Traveller said:

Interesting, according to the Browning website the Hi Power didn't make it to the US until 1954! I presume a certain Mr. Colt had something to do with that. Yet another reason for those investigators to nip off to Europe for a bit of shopping (may as well pick up a Mauser Schnellfeuer while they're there).

It's quite possible it made to the US via returning troops after WW2. Both sides of the European conflict used the Browning.

On 9/15/2022 at 1:46 AM, Butters said:

I think the Harrods catalogue from 1912 has been scanned and is a crazy good resource for items that are around from guns to fire extinguisher grenades. 

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/61985/61985-h/61985-h.htm

The Gutenberg was slow to load for me but it seems to be available on other sites.

guns.PNG

One wonders about the statement "Well made. Shoots accurately." below S&W .22... Does that mean that all the others are badly made and shoot "in the general direction"? 😕

• Haha 1