Help with the different versions of MW

Metalzoic

How many versions/revisions/reprints etc... were there?

My copy says it is Revised version 1.1 (Pg. 1) and was printed 2011

My local store has a brand new copy, but doesn't say anything about being revised on the first page so is it an even older, more broken version? But I seem to remember it saying it was printed in 2012 or 2013...  I'll double check date & page count today

Drive Thru RPG version says it has 272 pages and was updated in 2015... so more pages than mine and newer. Maybe?

Some reviews of the game mention it being 276 pages... so another version again? Older? Newer?

I just want the newest version, print & PDF, but it seems to be all over the map version wise. Driving me crazy

Just noticed the Quickstart rules are dated 2013 & 2014. So an older ruleset than the Drivethru full game file maybe?

Definitely new than my copy, yet doesn't say anything about being updated or revised like mine does?

BAH!

EDIT: A crazy priced book on Ebay says it has 224 pages (original release maybe?)

And another for sale that says it's 262 pages (same as mine page numbering), but printed in 2013. I'm guessing this is the same as my version, just a newer print run.

I also just noticed that all these different page counts could be depending on whether or not you only count numbered pages, or all pages, or all pages plus front/back cover. For example mine is numbered to page 262, but actually has 266 if you count actual pages & 268 if you inlcude the cover.

Ah, but if I count ads then I can also get a total page count of 272.

So maybe my 272 page revision 1.1 copy is the newest version?

Edited by Metalzoic

My printed copy is (c) 2012, but published in March 2011 and counts 262 numbered pages + 3 pages of character & ship sheets + 7 pages of advertisments = 272, excluding covers. No indication of revision in the frontispice. 

I have two  PDFs I downloaded from Chaosium (not Drivethru):

1. No indication of revision, counts 276 PDF pages, including 262 numbered pages, same sheets and ads as the print version, 2 pages with the Chaosium logo, front and back cover 

2. Revised version 1.1, counts 269 PDF pages, including 267 numbered pages +front and back covers. No ads. It still says  (c) 2012 and published in March 2011

My understanding is that there was only one print run ever of Magic World. Sales were very bad and Chaosium took several years getting rid of inventory at big discounts. I also think there were only 2 versions of the PDF (the ones I have). But I'm less confident about that.

Awesome thanks. So sounds like my 1.1 is the newest version then.

Checked the one at the store, saw the ads, and thought maybe I had deleted them or just not printed them. Good to know it didn't even have them 

Bummer they never printed a revised version though. I'd buy it in a second

Edited by Metalzoic

14 hours ago, Metalzoic said:

Awesome thanks. So sounds like my 1.1 is the newest version then.

Checked the one at the store, saw the ads, and thought maybe I had deleted them or just not printed them. Good to know it didn't even have them 

Bummer they never printed a revised version though. I'd buy it in a second

If enough people ask for it they might put out a POD version on Drivethru. At a certain point @Rick Meints was on record saying this was a possibility. I however fully understand how Chaosium people have to decide how to allocate their precious time in a way that makes commercial sense. 

• Like 1