Jump to content

Real earth Animals ......gloranthan Animals


Agentorange

Recommended Posts

So, we all know that some real world Animals have their Gloranthan counterparts: Wolves, Bears, Lions, Hyenas and so on. Is there a master list of all the real earth animals that have Gloranthan equivalents ?The Well of daliath tells us there are Foxes, Coyotes but would Jackals be ok and so on

Are there real earth animals which will never be ported across ? 

Maybe should never be ported across ?

 

Edited by Agentorange
additional thought
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

The divine genealogy of the platypus would be far too convoluted.

Also, I don’t think Glorantha has penguins - they would have to be northern penguins, which seems off.

I always felt a Gloranthan platypus would come about in one of 2 ways:

1) Some ill advised God learner experiment  to combine ancestral animal archetypes
2) Some obscure chaos cult that provides : Create Platypus in the same manner as chaos spawn 😆

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Agentorange said:

I like that, nobody really knows where Ducks came from either ......... the duck billed platypus 😄 What ghastly event links the 2 together I wonder

But then you still have to explain the tail...

On that thought -- Beavers would rapidly go extinct (can you visualize Aldryami putting up with a creature the cuts down living trees just to create a water hazard 🧐 ; okay, they probably aren't happy with any tree harvesting, but humans can be negotiated with -- but what about a Beaver that decides some dryad's tree is the ideal base for a new dam?)

In Glorantha, jackals would compete with coyotes; whereas on Earth the domains are widely separated.

Now... Do we have prairie dogs, or meerkats? ("Meerkat, meet Coyote. Coyote, Meerkat")

Glorantha needs Raccoons! Over-strength for apparent body size, manipulative hands letting them get into places they aren't meant... ("Who stole the sacred dagger from the shrine!"). Lots of opportunity for "non-quest" quests, or side-quests...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

 🙂 (Not to mention that there are several famous mythic raccoons that were involved in the God Learner schemes.)

Any with the name Rocket? 
(
It would explain much)

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Any with the name Rocket?
(It would explain much)

No, not so far...

From GtG p.136-7: "They altered the Hero Plane almost at will. When the Raccoon Guardian of Tusunimmi Ford was skinned by a wizard, they moved Mr. Raccoon from Doctor Rock to the ford.... Doctor Rock was stolen by the Raven of the Sunset Isles because Mr. Raccoon was not there to defend it."

And p.692: "The Gates of Dusk are here, guarded by demonic raccoons." 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

No, not so far...

From GtG p.136-7: "They altered the Hero Plane almost at will. When the Raccoon Guardian of Tusunimmi Ford was skinned by a wizard, they moved Mr. Raccoon from Doctor Rock to the ford.... Doctor Rock was stolen by the Raven of the Sunset Isles because Mr. Raccoon was not there to defend it."

And p.692: "The Gates of Dusk are here, guarded by demonic raccoons." 

This implies the establishment of a raccoon spirit cult. 

An appropriate sacrifice to the raccoon spirit would be a day's garbage.  How do i know this?  Someone has been raiding our large brown 80-gallon city-owned garbage can.  Which now has a concrete block on top of the lid.  Evidently the method is to climb atop the blue recycle can (which used to be next to it) and pry up the lid from that position.  Anyway, such a sacrifice would evidently be pleasing to such a recipient.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Agentorange said:


Are there real earth animals which will never be ported across ? 

Maybe should never be ported across ?

Camels apparently.  They are beasts so improbable that they were created by Eurmal and also don't exist.  IRL they are the best beast of burden the natural world ever produced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

This implies the establishment of a raccoon spirit cult. 

Yes, and apparently the God Learners used to skin Grandfather Raccoon quite regularly on their hero quests.  On the other hand, as is often said, with a name like Grandfather Raccoon, he deserves what he gets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

 

On that thought -- Beavers would rapidly go extinct (can you visualize Aldryami putting up with a creature the cuts down living trees just to create a water hazard 🧐 ; okay, they probably aren't happy with any tree harvesting, but humans can be negotiated with -- but what about a Beaver that decides some dryad's tree is the ideal base for a new dam?)

 

 

Would they though ?. i think the rules state dryads can command animals within their groves. There are of course trees associated with swamps and marshes, lakes.

Mangrove dryads ? Swamp Cypress dryads ? Weeping Willow Dryads ?

I know these are real earth examples, but Glorantha is a big place so I reckon their equivalent  exist. Now for those kind of dryads i could see them being ok with beavers etc, more of a symbiotic relationship. These kind of trees need swampy , watery environments to flourish.

Actually thinking about it that's one area of the Aldryami that we don't hear much about. Brown elves for deciduous forest, green for coniferous, red elves ( slofirings ? ) for ferns etc. But I'm not really aware of anything around swamp/marsh aldryami and nature spirits. Yet in in our world swamps and marshes can be remarkably rich in flora and fauna. I wonder what the dryad of this place would be like ?

cypresses-swamp.jpg

Edited by Agentorange
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

Camels apparently.  They are beasts so improbable that they were created by Eurmal and also don't exist.  IRL they are the best beast of burden the natural world ever produced.

Camels exist, as a result of the Boggles

Quote

At times they were nuisances, such as when they frightened Mother Mammal so that she gave birth to that utterly unbelievable animal called camel.

Heortling Mythology, Uleria and the Boggles, page 23

There are a few left on top of the Shadow Plateau.

  • Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2022 at 8:09 PM, Akhôrahil said:

Also, I don’t think Glorantha has penguins - they would have to be northern penguins, which seems off.

If there is one place for penguins in Glorantha, it is the sewers of Glamour. Somewhere near the hunting grounds of the Bat Man.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/11/2022 at 4:09 AM, Akhôrahil said:

The divine genealogy of the platypus would be far too convoluted.

Also, I don’t think Glorantha has penguins - they would have to be northern penguins, which seems off.

Nah, the legend explicitly mentions a great big duck meeting and falling in love with a beaver in ages past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is evidence of penguins:

  • You can encounter penguin spirits in the RQG Bestiary
  • See penguins in Count Felagga’s Mystic Menagerie in WF #15
  • Even the original Trolpak has a penguin feather quill pen
  • Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Darius West said:

Nah, the legend explicitly mentions a great big duck meeting and falling in love with a beaver in ages past.

That's the Platypus myth.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...