Middle Earth conversion

Shiningbrow

On 11/11/2022 at 6:47 AM, whitelaughter said:

Then next time you read it, notice the explicit praise of inter-racial marriages.

I feel Ali's pain, and I hope you are correct in your defence... well, you have given me a reason to read this bad boy for the 2nd time this millenium (been a couple of decades) but with an eye to the racism noted bu folk and the  defence you offer. A good reason for a fresh look at what I recall to be a rollicking read. I suppose I will have to put J.R.R. in his time as well and be thankful he was not influence by HPL.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:47 AM, whitelaughter said:

Magic in LotR is actually pretty common.

Now you have me interested enough to do my own research in what you have said about racism, but I will have to disagree here... The Istari (or the wise/wizards) only number 5, Not sure how many others would be crafting enchantments in the third age but my guess is there are not a ton of folk who craft enchantments in those latter days. The  elder and very powerful elves... Who else? How many have survived from previous ages and not been gathered up by the powerful, well, this is unknown. Can not say I am convinced, but... Your Middle Earth May Vary too!

Cheers

• Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 10/7/2022 at 12:06 AM, Darius West said:

just don't think Middle Earth Conversion therapy will work on Glorantha 😱😝

Bad Darius, bad! Now go to your dungeon young monster and think about what you have done!

On 10/10/2022 at 3:44 PM, Ali the Helering said:

I have toyed with the idea of character creation along the lines of Nephilim, so that elves gain specific skills at different points within the ages, dependent on the culture and society predominating at the time, and any changes in focus for the character.  

If I may Atgxtg, that's rather clever!

3 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

(an exquisitely presented evolution of the first)

I do own the first and a goodly selection of adventures or splat packs, but wow, if it is that good... I may have to take a look.

• Haha 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Magic in LOTR is not 'common'. Depending on the era in which it's used, any overt use of magic draws the attention of Sauron -- and that is manifestly not good for you. What's more, the era just before the War of the Rings [say, after the Battle of Five Armies] is THE most dangerous time for any spellcaster to cast magic outside of certain very deliberately defined safe havens.

To put it another way, if Elrond, Galadriel, and Gandalf are extremely reluctant to use any form of active magic, player characters should consider it suicidal.

Passive magics, those that might be considered 'background noise' like the enchantments in Lorien, Fangorn, or Old Forest, are safe enough. In RQ definitions this would be Illusion Rune magics that misdirect and confuse. But nobody is out casting Lighting or Sun Strike spells.

I think BRP is a not-bad fit for Middle Earth, licensing issues aside for a moment, but I think it would need to be toned down from the 'damned-near-Rune-level' heights of RQG. I think that an ME conversion would have to be more like an RQ3 situation, where PC's start at lower levels of skill and magic is harder to learn and harder to cast.

• Like 2

I have been running a MERP conversion campaign off and on for the last two years. I started out with RQ3 because I felt the grittiness and the character building fit the world quite well. After a while I started adding elements of BGB to it, like the multiple parries, weapon specials and fate points. I felt the sweet spot was somewhere there, though now I've switched over almost entirely to BGB.

I've been using the fan made MERP-BRP conversion that I got from this site, although I found some of the creature stats (e.g. elves) were a bit unbalanced. I liked the magic system, but since I'm using actual MERP modules I got tired of converting the spell lists to suitable spells from the magic supplement, so I started just adapting the MERP spells to BRP. As a whole I find BRP is a really good fit for Middle Earth.

Edited by Barak Shathur
  • Like 3

On 11/13/2022 at 1:55 AM, Bill the barbarian said:

Now you have me interested enough to do my own research in what you have said about racism, but I will have to disagree here... The Istari (or the wise/wizards) only number 5, Not sure how many others would be crafting enchantments in the third age but my guess is there are not a ton of folk who craft enchantments in those latter days. The  elder and very powerful elves... Who else? How many have survived from previous ages and not been gathered up by the powerful, well, this is unknown. Can not say I am convinced, but... Your Middle Earth May Vary too!

Cheers

Dwarves, dwarves, and more dwarves. Whenever we get references to multiple magical items, the dwarves are involved. Smaug's hoard and Bilbo's party are the two big examples; when Thorin and company find the secret door they use multiple spells trying to get through it.

The elven smiths of Rivendell are capable of reforging Narsil to create Andurial, and are presumably keeping the elves well equipped. Galadriel's maidens should be equipping the soldiers of Lorien.

On the flipside, it you wish to justify a lower magic LotR, the barrowblades may have been completely mundane, but relied on the Witchking's own magics to work - his 'ever blade shall perish' shtick could have released toxins (or if the blades were made with say radium, even radiation) from the disintegrating blade!

Also, the Istari were supposed to learn their arts, they were forbidden from using their full power (until Gandalf gets a remit once White). Radagast is just as likely to have learned his art from Beorn as the other way around.

Be happy!

• Like 1

(apologies for double post)

Thinking about the magic, I think the simplest way is:

Laiquendi and Dwarves have Rune Cults; the Dwarves for Aule, the Light Elves for any Vala.

Grey Elves have spirit cults: The Sindar have Maia, the Falathrim have Osse and Uinen.

The Dunedain have a limited worship of the Invisible God, Worship possibly granting visions on a Critical success. However even Aragorn's abilities are more easily represented by skills: Plant Lore tells him he needs Basil, Survival where to get it and then Alchemy to prepare it.

The Istari may be the focus of Spirit Cults; Radagast for the skinchangers such as Beorn, Saruman provided blasting powder to the orcs - yes, likely just Mineral Lore + Alchemy, but maybe more. The Blue Wizards were supposed to have founded magic cults.

For any cult, spells are flipped, with enchantments serving as Common Rune Magic, and the usual Commons added to Special Rune Magic.

Don't think there'd be spirit magic. Dwarves would get a limited form of sorcery through their cult.

The Druedain though need a way to construct their golems.

Edited by whitelaughter
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 11/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, whitelaughter said:

Then next time you read it, notice the explicit praise of inter-racial marriages.

Pretty much all of those described! Galadriel is descended from all 3 races of Light Elf, marries a Sindar, their daughter marries a half-elf, who marries a human.

Elrond traces descent from two different races of men and three different races of elves, plus Melian the Maia.

There are two strawman defences of racial purity:

1) Faramir bewails the mingling of his folk with 'lesser' men....only to fall head over heels for a barbarian warrior woman.

2) a claim that marrying a human is beneath an elf...given by our halfelf, Elrond!

Even within the hobbits, Harfoot Sam Gamgee(yes, check, every reference to his skin colour is brown) marries into the local Fallowhide gentry (allowing a blond daughter).

Then the description of Bree, praising the men and hobbits for respecting each other. The friendship of Legolas and Gimli.

I have to most profoundly disagree.  In Galadriel's case, elves are divided by tradition and attitude, not race.  Her daughter married a half-elf whose choice of kindred made him an elf, not a human.

Faramir and Eowyn are both human, the one representing the decayed imperial power (Gondor/Romano-Britain) the other the vibrant addition of noble barbarian blood (Rohan/Anglo-Saxon) and is not inter-racial.

Elrond is an example of many folk within the British Empire of mixed race who looked down upon those of their non-white ancestry.

Yes, Sam is indeed described as brown-skinned, as would almost all outdoor workers when Tolkien was writing.  The Fallowhides, the fairest skinned hobbits (according to Concerning Hobbits) form the nobility, as in Tolkien's England the fairest skinned folk formed the nobility.

Melian and Elu Thingol were indeed an inter-racial marriage, if the Maia can be counted a race in the sense we are using.  As a Roman Catholic Tolkien might well have been thinking of other forms of 'mystical marriage/bridal theology' which influenced a variety of writers such as   Henry Suso, Catherine of Siena, Teresa of Ávila, Gregory the Great and Bernard of Clairvaux.

Bree contains humans who are corrupt, evil, forgetful, and brutish.

The friendship of Gimli and Legolas emerges from shared peril, and via many racial slurs.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ali the Helering said:

I have to most profoundly disagree.  In Galadriel's case, elves are divided by tradition and attitude, not race.  Her daughter married a half-elf whose choice of kindred made him an elf, not a human.

Faramir and Eowyn are both human, the one representing the decayed imperial power (Gondor/Romano-Britain) the other the vibrant addition of noble barbarian blood (Rohan/Anglo-Saxon) and is not inter-racial.

Elrond is an example of many folk within the British Empire of mixed race who looked down upon those of their non-white ancestry.

Yes, Sam is indeed described as brown-skinned, as would almost all outdoor workers when Tolkien was writing.  The Fallowhides, the fairest skinned hobbits (according to Concerning Hobbits) form the nobility, as in Tolkien's England the fairest skinned folk formed the nobility.

Melian and Elu Thingol were indeed an inter-racial marriage, if the Maia can be counted a race in the sense we are using.  As a Roman Catholic Tolkien might well have been thinking of other forms of 'mystical marriage/bridal theology' which influenced a variety of writers such as   Henry Suso, Catherine of Siena, Teresa of Ávila, Gregory the Great and Bernard of Clairvaux.

The friendship of Gimli and Legolas emerges from shared peril, and via many racial slurs.

And there's the subject of half-orcs...

TOM BOMBADIL (Forn, Orald, Iarwin Ben-adar)

Spirit cult for Tolkien's Middle Earth

He is his own master...and now he has withdrawn within into a little land, within bounds he has set, though none can see them”

Tom Bombadil's power is near absolute within his realm, and he cannot be drawn out of it. However, he will not enter another's home unless invited (allowing the barrow wights to survive, so long as they remain in their barrows). Those that dwell within Bombadil's desmense can join this cult, if their Homeland lore is 50% or higher.

The tithe to Bombadil is consumed during celebrations when he visits his followers. At the time of the War of the Ring, Farmer Maggot leads the cult. Most members of the cult are not aware of their membership, as 'worship' is knowing how to entertain Bombadil as a guest.

Special Cult Magic

Bombadil provides the following standard Rune magic spells: Divination, Extension*, Sanctuary and Spirit Block. His spells can only be Extended while within your own home or lands, but the Extension will last until you leave, or the next Sacred Time. His special Rune magics are Fearless, Create Market and Command (any creature native to Bombadil's lands). However none of his spells can be cast outside his lands.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, Ali the Helering said:

I have to most profoundly disagree.  In Galadriel's case, elves are divided by tradition and attitude, not race.  [snip]

Faramir and Eowyn are both human, [snip]

The elves are specifically referred to as different races.

Faramir would have found out the hard way that he and she were different races, when she died of old age [the genealogies have Faramir outliving Eomer by 20 years despite Eomer living to 93!] Aragorn lived to be 210, not something that normal men can do.

Of course Bree contains humans who are human. That's to be expected. But it is emphasized that the two races live in harmony."The Big Folk and the Little Folk (as they called one another) were on friendly terms, minding their own affairs in their own ways, but both rightly considering themselves as necessary parts of the Bree-folk. Nowhere else in the world was this peculiar (but excellent) arrangement to be found."

Yes, the friendship of Legolas and Gimli was born in fire. That makes it more special, not less.

Edited by whitelaughter

25 minutes ago, whitelaughter said:

The elves are specifically referred to as different races.

Faramir would have found out the hard way that he and she were different races, when she died of old age [the genealogies have Faramir outliving Eomer by 20 years despite Eomer living to 93!] Aragorn lived to be 210, not something that normal men can do.

Of course contains humans who are human. That's to be expected. But it is emphasized that the two races live in harmony."The Big Folk and the Little Folk (as they called one another) were on friendly terms, minding their own affairs in their own ways, but both rightly considering themselves as necessary parts of the Bree-folk. Nowhere else in the world was this peculiar (but excellent) arrangement to be found."

Yes, the friendship of Legolas and Gimli was born in fire. That makes it more special, not less.

Races meant something quite different in the '30s and '40s from what it means today.  Culture is not the same as gene pool.

To call the Numenoreans a race by the time of the War of the Ring is a bit of a stretch.  A handful of nobility in North and South, and the unfortunately named Black Numenoreans.  

Bree is divided into racial districts, with limited mixing.

Being a rarity doesn't make something implicitly an approval of racial interaction, either.

6 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Funny there are no half-halflings in Bree, or are there?

Quite possibly...the hobbits are referred as being more closely related to men than to dwarves, implying being mostly human with a splash of petty-dwarf. So no reason why not.

[other than the idea of a girlfriend with hairy feet, which is a pretty solid turn off]

Edited by whitelaughter

AULE/MAHAL

Rune cult for Tolkien's Middle Earth

Any Dwarf or Noldor can join this cult so long as they have a Craft at 50% or higher, but it is difficult for the two races to worship together; all must spend the same number of magic points if both races are present.

The common Rune spells of the cult are: Analyse Magic, Lock, Passage, Magic Point Enchantment, Matrix Creation, Safe and Spirit Armor.

His Special Cult Magic is the Enchant spell. By the time of the War of the Ring, the dwarves have lost access to Enchant(Iron) spell, Enchant (Mithril) and the ability to make the Lock spell permanent. However they still Enchant most other metals, and stone as well. The Noldor developed Enchant (Glass) and Enchant (Crystal): Dwarves may learn either if Noldor take part in the Worship ceremony. Possibly the Elven smiths of Rivendell could teach the dwarves to Enchant(iron) again, as well.

Rune Masters may also learn Slash, and any True(Weapon) spell. Weapons are frequently forged with Matrix Creation and these spells.

Aule provides Analyse Magic to all Vala cults.

• Like 2

THE SKIN CHANGERS OF ULMO

Rune cult for Tolkien's Middle Earth

Other than Sauron's werewolves, all embodied shapeshifters are from this Cult. Ulmo himself grants the Transform Self spell; each form has a different spirit cult that grants the other 3 spells.

Membership of the Swanmay cult is limited to female descendants of Elwing, so most members are Dunedain. The cult exists secretly with the ranks of the Black Numenorians. Common Rune Magic is Extension IV; Special Rune Magic is River Eyes (granted as a Rune spell lasting 12 hours) and Swan's Wings.

Elwing is the first of the Swanmays; she was granted Glamour by the Melian cult, but it is now gained from the associated cult of the Silmaril (only worshiped through this or other cults).

the Swan's Wings spell:

Swan's Wings – Touch, Temporal, Nonstackable.

The caster grows a pair of Swan's Wings, and their SIZ changes to be one third of their STR (round down). This normally reduces SIZ, but can increase it, particularly if STR enhancing magics have been used. The caster can fly at a speed of 8.

Glamour, Rivereyes and Swan's Wings must be stacked together with Transform Self to become a swan.

The Beornings are functionally the same as the Odayla cult, with the Carrock being their holiest site.

• Like 2

[EDIT] Reading the 2nd Book of Lost Tales, I note that Melian's powers are based on her serving the Vala Lorien, so this really should be the cult of Lorien, and available to Light Elves].

THE CULT OF MELIAN

Spirit cult for Tolkien's Middle Earth

Based on the romance between Elu Thingol and Melian, this cult grants beauty and charms enemies to sleep. Following Thingol's death, Luthien maintained the cult until her own death; her son Dior Eluchil was able to continue it with the power of the Silmaril. Since his death, the cult has lost the ability to grant new Rune Magic; although cult members can still gain Charisma through worship of the Silmaril/Evening Star. It is not known how Arwen gained access to Extended Glamour!

Elrond is the titular head of the cult during the WotR, although Galadriel joined the cult during the 1st Age, and Thranduil is a powerful member, having enchanted an entire river in his realm.

Cult Spirit Magic: Unusually, this cult can grant spirit magic: Glamour and Sleep.

Common Rune Magic: Divination, Extension 2

Special Rune Magic: Charisma, Extended Glamour, Extended Sleep.

Extended Glamour

This spell can be cast in the same round as Glamour, and increases the duration to 1 hour. Extension can also be cast at the same time, increasing duration further (1: a week, 2: a Season).

Extended Sleep

This spell can be cast in the same round as Sleep, and increases the duration to 1 hour. Extension can also be cast at the same time, increasing duration further (1: a week, 2: a Season). However, the subject awakens immediately if in any danger. This includes indirect dangers (such as Thorin's company considering leaving Bombur behind).

This spell is stackable, each level causing sleep to affect an additional individual and granting +10% to the POW roll to overcome the target(s).

[EDIT] Cult Skills are Alchemy, Plant Lore, Treat Poison, Treat Wound

Communications skills are normally superb, due to high CHA, but for the same reason don't need to be taught.

Edited by whitelaughter
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, whitelaughter said:

[EDIT] The way to cover Elves is to remember that their race is fading, they're growing weaker. Start them with a base 200% in most skills, but their experience checks are to determine whether their skills go down!

Then elves are deadly, but desperately trying to avoid doing anything with an experience check box. They'll happily use Lores for you, or Alchemy, Read/Write - but you'll need to trigger a Passion to get them to do anything else.

Very clever

• Like 1

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

On 11/14/2022 at 11:06 AM, whitelaughter said:

(apologies for double post)

Thinking about the magic, I think the simplest way is:

Laiquendi and Dwarves have Rune Cults; the Dwarves for Aule, the Light Elves for any Vala.

Grey Elves have spirit cults: The Sindar have Maia, the Falathrim have Osse and Uinen.

The Dunedain have a limited worship of the Invisible God, Worship possibly granting visions on a Critical success. However even Aragorn's abilities are more easily represented by skills: Plant Lore tells him he needs Basil, Survival where to get it and then Alchemy to prepare it.

The Istari may be the focus of Spirit Cults; Radagast for the skinchangers such as Beorn, Saruman provided blasting powder to the orcs - yes, likely just Mineral Lore + Alchemy, but maybe more. The Blue Wizards were supposed to have founded magic cults.

For any cult, spells are flipped, with enchantments serving as Common Rune Magic, and the usual Commons added to Special Rune Magic.

Don't think there'd be spirit magic. Dwarves would get a limited form of sorcery through their cult.

The Druedain though need a way to construct their golems.

To be honest, the idea to base M-E Magic essentially on rune cults sounds odd to me.

I feel like elves should be able to develop powers similar to Land of Ninja's Ki powers, reflecting their deep, almost surnatural, understanding of things and their ability to develop their art far beyond human's boundaries.

Dwarves Magic is essentially linked to rune carving, which to me sounds like Sorcery enchants.

Human magic seems to come from cults. But I don't know what kind of magic people thought the Necromancer used before he was identified as Sauron. Spirit Magic, "Valaric" ("Runic") or rituals more akin to Sorcery ?

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 1

With respect to the business of the aging and experience of elves, a note by Tolkien published in 'The Nature of Middle Earth' ISBN 978-0-00-838792-1 states that they entered phases of 'quiet' and 'renewal' during which their bodies were rejuvenated but their knowledge and wisdom were cumulative.

In the Third Age the periods of activity were shortened and the rejuvenation less complete. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

THE CULTS OF OSSE AND UINEN

Two spirit cults for Tolkien's Middle Earth

Although mechanically two separate cults, these functional as a single cult inworld.

Osse is the Maia of coastal waters, storms, and ships. While the Falathrim may invoke their friend during a calm, they fear his frenzy, and more greatly respect his wife Uinen, who calms the seas.

Skills and common rune spells are identical for the two cults.

Cult skills: Boat, Craft(shipwright), Homeland Lore(coastal waters), Shiphandling, Swim

Common Rune Spells: Divination, Extension 1, Breathe Air/Water

Cultists may influence the seas by a successful Worship roll to either Maia; the Worship skill roll augments any Boat or Shiphandling roll for either, and also augments Swim for Uinen and Battle for Osse. This replaces normal Divine Intervention rolls.

Fumbles mean a gale or being becalmed as appropriate.

Cirdan is head of both cults, and while he possessed the Ring of Fire, could grant the Lightning spell.

Osse grants the special rune spells of Bless Ship, Cloud Call, Rain and Wind Warp

Uinen grants the special rune spells of Bless Pearl Bed, Cloud Clear, and Mist Cloud

Bless Pearl Bed

1 Point

Ritual, instant, stackable

This variant of Bless Crops benefits pearl divers and Jewelers.

Bless Ship

1 Point

Ritual, instant, stackable

Mechanically identical to Bless Crops, this spell is cast on a ship and benefits all whose livelihood depends on that ship. Cirdan has used the Ring of Fire to craft a powerful artifact to cast this at insanely high levels on ships in his fleet. Beneficiaries regard a special success on income as slightly disappointing!

Ulmo grants the Special Rune Spell of:

Straight Path

1 Point

Ritual, nonstackable

Cast on a ship, this spell lasts as long as the ship is heading towards the Undying Lands, and allows the ship to sail to Valinor. Being forced off course by weather or accident does not disrupt the spell, but a deliberate decision to turn aside causes the ship to plunge like a rock back into the mortal realm.

Edited by whitelaughter
  • Like 2

Final thoughts -

the only cult available to the sylvan elves is that of Orome. Given the Sylvan elves think they're tough but get slaughtered in open battle (think the first battle in the first age, and the black gate during the 2nd age) the Arrow Trance spell would be highly appropriate. During the battle of five armies, every elven spear and arrow tip glittered from the presence of the orcs, so Orome should probably provide the Enchant(orc detecting metal) spell. Yes, Thranduil will have access to Sindaran magics, and can trade for others, but the entire army is equipped, meaning it is common. Also, it would be perfect for Orome the Hunter - enchant arrow tips, and fire the arrows in a pattern to surround you - wherever the arrow flares, you know there's an orc within 100 metres.

The Druedain and the trolls could share rock magic - probably a Earth based sorcery. There is simply nothing available to breed a stone based life form from. I'd suggest an enchantment that can either summon a dumb evil spirit (creating a troll) or summon the creating Druedain (explaining why they take the damage taken by the statue). Mechanically, a Druedain's statue can be reflected by the Gnome to Gargoyle spell on a small Gnome. Conditions would allow for the summoning of the Druedains 'soul' but allow the Druedain to continue functioning, and with no knowledge of what happens with the statue (for the duration of the spell, he'd count as a soulless being). Sauron could have modified the spell to create the Watchers.

Radagast is a master of both form and hue, so would have most illusions. The creepy explanation for shapeshifters is that he grants Transform Self and shapeshifters are descended from two species. Certainly Sauron, master of werewolves, could have had halfwolf descendants.

The Nine seem to leave magic around. The barrow wights are the obvious example; another is Frodo nearly ending up as a wraithly slave.

Enchant(minor metals) should allow smiths a lot of leeway. Minor magical items, of no combat significance (although creative use should be encouraged of course) should be easily made by either dwarven or Noldorin smiths. Voice control of opening and closing seems to be a major theme, from the Old Took's cuff links through to the Doors of Moria.

[edit] The Noldor(specifically, Fingon) invoke Manwe for archery! His cult should grant Speedart and/or Sureshot.

Edited by whitelaughter
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 7:13 PM, Joerg said:

Funny there are no half-halflings in Bree, or are there?

Lack of evidence is not evidence against...

Ie, just because they weren't mentioned, doesn't mean they didn't exist. Their presence merely wasn't relevant to the topics being discussed/written about.

(Oh gods.... I'm arguing in favour of Rings of Power..... )

• Haha 1

Regarding Tolkien's racism...

Firstly, the big T explicitly stated he hated allegory, which would say that whatever racism (or not) in his books should be taken as only racism (or not) in his books, and not reflective of his attitudes (or of England).

Secondly, he was writing from his age (early to mid 1900s), and was thus a product of it. It's not a great idea to apply 2022 standards on his time period.

Thirdly, elves and dwarves did mix in the first couple of Ages. So did the race of man (oh, am I/he now being sexist?).

RE: half-bloods. If any of them had chosen to take on their mannish traits instead of their elvish ones, would that be indicative of racism against elves??

(Oh, and lastly, the 'races' of elves is merely based on historical events - who did or didn't go somewhere... this has nothing to do with an actual 'race' as biologists would consider it).

OTOH,  yes, there is a decided lack of non-white good guys in the books. I'm not convinced that should mean black-skinned elves or dwarves should exist (at least in the parts of ME that was written about).. but if someone were to make another film or TV series, it should mean that not only black-skinned people are there, but also other real earth races should as well... I will also say that the depiction of the Khand and Easterlings is problematic.

• Like 1