Three Curious Spirits Redux

mfbrandi

Before we knew the light of the Sun, three friends felt something nagging at the backs of their brains: there was something they didn’t understand, but they couldn’t say what it was; it was infuriating. The wisest of them said, “Be calm. Let us meditate. Perhaps an answer will come.”

“Where shall we sit?” The wisest of them marked three lines meeting at a point. Now each had their own space to sit, facing the centre and the void. No one can say how long they sat, for back then the rise and fall of the Sun did not mark the passage of days. Perhaps they sat for an aeon, perhaps it was only a moment.

Zorak Zoran opened three eyes, screaming. He burned, and soon others would burn around him. He said, “Now I see, but it gives me no peace.”

Argan Argar opened two eyes. He looked around and said, “These will be useful. Xiola Umbar, why do you not open your eyes? Do you not want to know this new thing?”

Xiola Umbar smiled and said, “Are my eyes closed? I think that they have always been open and that we have always been bathed in Light. But perhaps, my friend, you will always find comfort walking in the shade.” And she laughed, rose, and stood behind Zorak Zoran. She laid her hands on his shoulders, and he was quiet — for a short time, anyway.

—————————————————————————————————————————

A new thread to get away from the gonzo Arkat stuff. A new telling of the myth because “for a time they viewed it from a distance” in the Trollpak version was bugging me.

Edited by mfbrandi
italics
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

I just realized none of the three are descendants of Kyger Litor, but darkness spirits adopted in her family. This surely happened before they were adopted, and it could well be the reason. 

Gender and sex of spirits is fluid, but the two apparent males may well have had offspring with KL or her daughters, but they would have no claims on such offspring. The key point for me would be if Xiola Umbar has her own offspring (and with whom). I somehow feel she has none, but instead she nurtures all creatures of darkness. And she is loved back by all in return. Which could be linked to her own secrets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRE said:

Xiola Umbar … offspring … I somehow feel she has none, but instead she nurtures all creatures of darkness. And she is loved back by all in return. Which could be linked to her own secrets.

I cannot remember off the top of my head what Trollpak says, but as a midwife deity, it would be neat if she had no children of her own body.

Hers is a tough love — I believe completely hopeless trollkin are euthanised.

She is friendly with Yelm, so presumably she is regarded with suspicion by some Uz.

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

16 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

I cannot remember off the top of my head what Trollpak says, but as a midwife deity, it would be neat if she had no children of her own body.

Hers is a tough love — I believe completely hopeless trollkin are euthanised.

She is friendly with Yelm, so presumably she is regarded with suspicion by some Uz.

Charmilla, a troll representative on the Unity Council, was said to be a descendant of XU. (If a mistress race troll, she might still be around.)

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis