Allied Spirits

jo77yroger

For the record, Rune Lord DI is completely broken.  And, depending on cult, it's not usable only once a season.  An Orlanthi Wind Lord can probably do it nearly once a week on the average with all the associated cults and weekly minor holy days to recover rune points.

We instantly changed the DI rules once we realized just what a crock they were.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

For the record, Rune Lord DI is completely broken.  And, depending on cult, it's not usable only once a season.  An Orlanthi Wind Lord can probably do it nearly once a week on the average with all the associated cults and weekly minor holy days to recover rune points.

We instantly changed the DI rules once we realized just what a crock they were.

Well, not for many weeks in a row, given the permanent RP cost.

17 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Well, not for many weeks in a row, given the permanent RP cost.

I suspect that Rodney's group didn't spot that permanent RP cost each time. It's easy to miss. I think that is because it is not repeated in the Rune Lord—Divine Intervention section. It does still apply, however, the only difference is the die roll.

I must say it is particularly harsh that initiates and priests have to permanently lose a Rune Point even if the DI fails. I would not impose this cost on a fail.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Has any group given the Ally Spirit a gift and geas, if they are from Humakt, Yelmalio, etc.?

We decided to skip it, but some (about half?) of them would be interesting.

No (because we still have no AS), but I think they should have: They have been initiated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Has any group given the Ally Spirit a gift and geas, if they are from Humakt, Yelmalio, etc.?

We decided to skip it, but some (about half?) of them would be interesting.

I have a vague recollection of a Gifts and Geases table specifically for Allied Spirits. Possibly from a 'zine or '90s fan web page.

But I think if it was intended that Allied Spirits had gifts and geases, then Nameless's sword would have gifts of its own which it doesn't.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 11:34 AM, PhilHibbs said:

I have a vague recollection of a Gifts and Geases table specifically for Allied Spirits. Possibly from a 'zine or '90s fan web page.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:12 PM, Godlearner said:

There are Giftd/Geases for Humakti Allied spirits in Tales of the Reaching Moon #5

Ah yes, the "Esprit de Corps" article by @MOB. You wouldn't happen to have a file of it that you could share or upload somewhere, would you? I think I have an original somewhere but it's falling apart as it pre-dates the glossy days of TotRM.

21 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Ah yes, the "Esprit de Corps" article by @MOB. You wouldn't happen to have a file of it that you could share or upload somewhere, would you? I think I have an original somewhere but it's falling apart as it pre-dates the glossy days of TotRM.

I'd forgotten about that! It was in Tales of the Reaching Moon issue #5, the 'Humakti Special' (Spring 1991). IMO one of the best of the early issues of the zine. Although I think the 'Lottery Swords' I have in the piece with Rudy 'Plunder' Kraft probably has more MGF potential.

2085354147_EspiritdeCorps-GiftsandGeasesforHumaktiAlliedSpiritsbyMOBcopy.thumb.png.8331cc340d145f62844c55f194bf8d03.png

Edited by Scotty
added links
  • Like 4

On the (ever so slightly divergent) subject of Humakti sword gifts, I thought what James did in the latest A New Hero episode was cool. The Humakti PC took her dead master's sword, and he let her keep the gift on it along with the geas that went with it. Not supposed to be the way it goes, the gift ends upon death, but a good idea nonetheless.

Maybe the Allied Spirit is still in the sword. It isn't going to be the PC's ally, but maybe it will lie dormant (except when narratively awesome) until she gains RL status.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Esprit de Corps

Needs a little bit of updating for RQG.

2. Increase CHA by 1 point.

7. Raise the HP of the sword that you are bound into by 4 points.

10. Not sure about this one, getting a rune spell reuseably is no longer special for an initiate.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by PhilHibbs

31 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

On the (ever so slightly divergent) subject of Humakti sword gifts, I thought what James did in the latest A New Hero episode was cool. The Humakti PC took her dead master's sword, and he let her keep the gift on it along with the geas that went with it. Not supposed to be the way it goes, the gift ends upon death, but a good idea nonetheless.

Maybe the Allied Spirit is still in the sword. It isn't going to be the PC's ally, but maybe it will lie dormant (except when narratively awesome) until she gains RL status.

Well, the PC doesn't get an Allied Spirit until she reaches Rune Status. And according to the RQG Core Rules, if she gets an Allied Spirit it will reside in her Sword [the sword of her former master]. There's a certain chanbara samurai movie symmetry to that. And every samurai who ever lived would have understood the dogma of Humakt. Whether they approved of it is an entirely different matter. Humakt isn't all that into familial ancestral fealty... oh, he'll keep an oath once it's given, but the whole 'born to serve my grandfather's daimyo' thing might need some convincing 😂

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 8:42 PM, Shiningbrow said:

Ok, it's obviously an initiate of the cult you got it from...

But, would you allow said cult spirit to initiate into another cult?

And, would you normally have the AS choose an associate cult special Rune spell? (especially as its first..??)

Well, if it is a Cult Spirit of Yinkin, it gets the ability to auto-join the Orlanth cult as part of its Yinkin Initiation. So at least some of the time it must be possible.

1 hour ago, whitelaughter said:

Well, if it is a Cult Spirit of Yinkin, it gets the ability to auto-join the Orlanth cult as part of its Yinkin Initiation. So at least some of the time it must be possible.

Well we know that not all the "initiate" rules apply to allied spirits. They can't become rune lords or priests, Humakti allied spirits don't get gifts and geases (although that has been proposed in a zine article).

Similarly I would say that an allied spirit, as a dedicated servant of a specific deity or cult, can't initiate into another cult.

Oh, and we already discussed the possibility of a Yelornan's unicorn becoming a unicorn rider. Awesome though that would be...

image.png.7bd0c94a306a5bc3b77edb0a7c2682a4.png

On 11/11/2022 at 2:19 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Oh, and we already discussed the possibility of a Yelornan's unicorn becoming a unicorn rider. Awesome though that would be...

image.png.7bd0c94a306a5bc3b77edb0a7c2682a4.png

Ralzakark's Yelornan daughter ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have another question about AS. I received an AS as a random boon through the family history process.
the POW value of this AS is 3D6. As you know a Rune Lord can have an AS with 3D6+6 of POW. I would like to know what to do with my current AS when I become a Rune Lord. If I decide to keep my AS, can it increase its POW ? or do I have to throw the dices again for INT, CHA and POW?
Thanks

2 hours ago, jo77yroger said:

Hi, I have another question about AS. I received an AS as a random boon through the family history process.
the POW value of this AS is 3D6. As you know a Rune Lord can have an AS with 3D6+6 of POW. I would like to know what to do with my current AS when I become a Rune Lord. If I decide to keep my AS, can it increase its POW ? or do I have to throw the dices again for INT, CHA and POW?
Thanks

If you mean #20, "You have a spirit bound into an animal or item. It has a POW of 3D6 and a CHA of 2D6...." that is a bound spirit, not an Ally.  Still very useful.  One big difference is that it doesn't get an independent "action" - you can draw on it for spells and MP, but that is your action.