Running a "cult promotion"

Soccercalle

On 10/10/2022 at 1:55 PM, Soccercalle said:

Some of my PCs are reaching rune level and I am thinking about the best way to play their promotion. I dont want it to be just a technical step but something that can be role played. There is a lot of good stuff out there about running initiations (especially in SiS and CotD). But I can't find anything about rune levels. So I guess that I will play it out myself. 

I would run it like a job interview.

First, there is the bureaucracy, there must be a vacancy, or opening, unless the Adventurer makes the vacancy.

Second, there is the old boy network, which an Adventurer needs to crack in order to get a chance. Bribery works well here, as does proving yourself through words and deeds.

Third, there is the Interview. This is abstracted by a test of the average of POW, CHA and Bribery, multiplied by 5. However, I would run it as a proper job interview with interview-like question. "So, Shadwell Full of Rage, what can you bring to the Bull's Bellow Temple? You face a gang of Broo and one runs away, do you chase the fleeing Broo, so it doesn't get away, or do you face the gang? What are the signs of a Vampire infestation and how would you defeat Vampires?"

A candidate that meets these requirements must then convince the examiners of their cult of their dedication to the cult and its goals. This can be done by letting the player (as the adventurer) try to convince the gamemaster (as the examiners) through roleplaying the examination. Alternatively, add the POW and CHA of the adventurer. Then add +1 point for every 100 L the adventurer donates to the temple as an “offering.” Divide the result by 3 (i.e., average POW, CHA, and the offering), rounding up. Then multiply the result by 5 and have the player try to roll that number or less on D100.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

17 minutes ago, soltakss said:

However, I would run it as a proper job interview with interview-like question. "So, Shadwell Full of Rage, what can you bring to the Bull's Bellow Temple? You face a gang of Broo and one runs away, do you chase the fleeing Broo, so it doesn't get away, or do you face the gang? What are the signs of a Vampire infestation and how would you defeat Vampires?"

Just wait till Competency Based Interviewing (i.e. ditching all hypothetical questions) reaches the  cult of Storm Bull:

• Describe for me a situation where — in an effort to banish the Crimson Bat — you were required to gather a large amount of data, to analyse it objectively, and to make a decision or a recommendation based on the results.
  • Talk me through a time when — to frustrate the local Broos — you had to implement challenging and measurable goals for your team.
  • Describe a recent situation when — to prevent the return of Wakboth — you worked across departments successfully.
  • Lead us through an example which shows your ability to manage resources effectively — to kill more Chaos.

IRL, this may be a terrible job interview strategy, but in RPGs, it will likely work fine, as the GM can cheat and tailor the questions — in generous and in malicious ways — to the individual candidates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST